Bill O'Reilly Tells Sean Hannity: People In Poverty Live Very Well

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
There is no way you can justify your assertions, which are just plain wrong!
Being welfare literate comes with the territory of taking welfare; the wealthy and affluent sympathizers have no experience with how to tap to into resources that are being actually provided, which includes breaking the rules in bad faith(that cash job is totally going unreported, so is the bank account with most of the money, and the pot/other drugs that are sold and consumed are an entirely private, secret affair, my wealthy comrades) to get get the benefits or extra benefits. I haven't even addressed how the Anglican and African-American wing of American society generally are culturally indoctrinated into not caring about money making decisions that come beyond natural to other cultures, namely Chinese, Indian, Arabic, Persian, and Jewish. The importance of shaving off $2-$3 each grocery item and cooking your own food are thousands of micro-transactions that provide purchasing power in the future. It is the exact opposite principle of gacha games like Pokemon Go and Fire Emblem Heroes.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Where the fuck do you get your info? All they have to do is upload some info that says they have no money and *boom*, they get benefits? Really?

You have no idea how intrusive state govts are in qualifying applicants for benefits like EBT and such, do you? Like requiring applicants to give the appropriate administering state agency full access to any bank accounts (yes, that's a requirement), supply tax records for several prior years, in-home interviews (yes, this happens) and more.

And what assets are they supposedly hiding? In your world, the poor who get govt benefits are just sitting on their asses, watching their "big screen" TV's and playing on iphone 11's. LOL.

So what assets are they hiding? Money from working? That is exactly opposite to your notion they're sitting around collecting money from the govt.

I get it.....they're not working but they're working off the books. Right. Damn that's stupid.

And let's speak to work requirements for Medicaid, for example. 24 hrs. a week. So the poor person finds a job that gives him/her 24 hrs a week, until the job shuts down for a couple of weeks across Christmas or during the summer for retooling or the first week of January for inventory count. So the job doesn't give 24 hrs that one or two weeks and the person automatically loses benefits and cannot reapply.....ever. Sounds like a plan to keep the poor poor. But that's your real end game.....provide no ability to move upward...just keep the poor poor. Compassionate, you aren't.
I'm a nutty pragmatist who has freed myself from the artificial dichotomies established by the political messaging that goes around in this country. So my beliefs don't fall neatly in line with the usual stupid stereotypes and myths propagated by both of the parties. I'm probably the only person on this planet who recognizes that all 50 states in this country are true, independent sovereigns with full sovereignty and that "The United States are" is a far more correct phrase than "The United States is".

I have plenty of personal experience with EBT and the gamut of welfare offered in the state of Maryland through my mother obtaining benefits. I have actually touched a SNAP card and seen used; the old one had it's magnetic stripe fail, have my own a Medicaid card, They do require documents, but the fact-checking is light here in Maryland. One in-person interview at the government agency building. I worked part-time with 16 hours or less and never had to worry about not getting Medicaid. So, you're probably talking about something related to your state.

Everyone who can take benefits from the welfare system should and by any means possible. Government is by nature a means of redistribution and if it consents to waste, then by all means take advantage of that waste.

• Haha
Reactions: fleshconsumed

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Being welfare literate comes with the territory of taking welfare; the wealthy and affluent sympathizers have no experience with how to tap to into resources that are being actually provided, which includes breaking the rules in bad faith(that cash job is totally going unreported, so is the bank account with most of the money, and the pot/other drugs that are sold and consumed are an entirely private, secret affair, my wealthy comrades) to get get the benefits or extra benefits.

How many do you think hide a bank account?

I haven't even addressed how the Anglican and African-American wing of American society generally are culturally indoctrinated into not caring about money making decisions that come beyond natural to other cultures, namely Chinese, Indian, Arabic, Persian, and Jewish. The importance of shaving off $2-$3 each grocery item and cooking your own food are thousands of micro-transactions that provide purchasing power in the future. It is the exact opposite principle of gacha games like Pokemon Go and Fire Emblem Heroes.

Yeah, welfare makes you ineligible to save, which most likely exacerbates that. The limit is something ridiculously low like $2000 in the bank, and even for disability (SSI) they want to make sure you spent it. It's funny how both sides of the political spectrum agree that people save to little, but nobody calls for an advanced funding component to SS.

Reactions: Pohemi

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
As successful as our whole country is I'm a little irritated so many people live in shit. Do the billionaires understand they'd be better off with more people having educations and what-not?
Well, Bill Gates does. Why dont all the others see that?

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I haven't even addressed how the Anglican and African-American wing of American society generally are culturally indoctrinated into not caring about money making decisions that come beyond natural to other cultures, namely Chinese, Indian, Arabic, Persian, and Jewish.

What does your religious affiliation have to do with anything? Hint: Anglican is a religious denomination....the Church of England, to be specific.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Being welfare literate comes with the territory of taking welfare; the wealthy and affluent sympathizers have no experience with how to tap to into resources that are being actually provided, which includes breaking the rules in bad faith(that cash job is totally going unreported, so is the bank account with most of the money, and the pot/other drugs that are sold and consumed are an entirely private, secret affair, my wealthy comrades) to get get the benefits or extra benefits. I haven't even addressed how the Anglican and African-American wing of American society generally are culturally indoctrinated into not caring about money making decisions that come beyond natural to other cultures, namely Chinese, Indian, Arabic, Persian, and Jewish. The importance of shaving off $2-$3 each grocery item and cooking your own food are thousands of micro-transactions that provide purchasing power in the future. It is the exact opposite principle of gacha games like Pokemon Go and Fire Emblem Heroes.
Its true though... the poor live much better than just 2000 years ago... double the life span too... how about them apples.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I'm probably the only person on this planet who recognizes that all 50 states in this country are true, independent sovereigns with full sovereignty and that "The United States are" is a far more correct phrase than "The United States is".

Utter bullshit. "The states are independent sovereigns with full sovereignty." That notion is laughable. Guess the Civil War was about something else, then.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
In addition, those who don't disclose assets can work and make over the requirements and still get the benefits.
Pretty much everything you've been stating or claiming is as out-of-touch with the reality of living in poverty as Bill O'Reilly's, but the above sentence just kinda drove the point home.

What 'assets' do you think people in poverty are holding or earning, and how do you believe they can "hide" them? If you have income, social security and the internal revenue service know exactly how much.
You cannot open a bank account without identification. The government knows how much funds you have in an account at any given time. Are you going to work for cash and hide it in a lockbox buried in the yard? That should be real lucrative and stable, huh?

Get real and quit with the FUD.

Reactions: jman19

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Pretty much everything you've been stating or claiming is as out-of-touch with the reality of living in poverty as Bill O'Reilly's, but the above sentence just kinda drove the point home.

What 'assets' do you think people in poverty are holding or earning, and how do you believe they can "hide" them? If you have income, social security and the internal revenue service know exactly how much.
You cannot open a bank account without identification. The government knows how much funds you have in an account at any given time. Are you going to work for cash and hide it in a lockbox buried in the yard? That should be real lucrative and stable, huh?

Get real and quit with the FUD.
Drugs... They are selling drugs and or turning tricks on the side.

• Haha

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Anybody still care what a classic fake news spokesman and sexual assaulter says?

meiO2xY.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: jman19 and Pohemi

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
What an conman, talking about cars like they're anything but a burden to a lot of the poor. Would be nice if this country could emulate Japan with quality public transportation so people don't need to buy cars for the right to work.
That's hard to do in such a large country (compared to Japan). From my experience Canada has the same problem.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Pretty much everything you've been stating or claiming is as out-of-touch with the reality of living in poverty!!
Of course there are those who will take advantage of the system. But with that said you really have no idea of what you speak based on what you claim to be your own experiences!
Please stop while you have some semblance of integrity to hold onto......

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
You can still do it in urban and suburban areas. God I would love to never have to drive in rush hour.
Yes definitely, I thought you meant more country-wide, where I imagine it's much better in Japan.

Speaking just for Toronto, it's not too bad transit-wise in the downtown core, but for the rest of the city still nowhere near the levels of transit available in a city like London for example.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Yeah, welfare makes you ineligible to save, which most likely exacerbates that. The limit is something ridiculously low like $2000 in the bank, and even for disability (SSI) they want to make sure you spent it. It's funny how both sides of the political spectrum agree that people save to little, but nobody calls for an advanced funding component to SS.
My GF gets SSI so I've got ample experience with this. Yes, she's not permitted to have access to more than $2000 at any given time, there was even a point when they tried to argue that more than $2000 worth of physical goods (like a bed) counted toward that. I was able to put the kibosh on that by basically stating that I owned everything in the home.

She's blind, but has to submit each year that she's still blind and therefore still eligible for benefits. In addition to that, there's about a billion rules surrounding where assistance can come from, and under what circumstances she's financially penalized for it. A great example is if her contributions to food for the household are less than 50%, she loses about a third of what she's paid from SSI, so a few hundred dollars.

It is ... taxing to keep up with, to say the least.

• Love
Reactions: ch33zw1z and Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
She's blind, but has to submit each year that she's still blind and therefore still eligible for benefits. In addition to that, there's about a billion rules surrounding where assistance can come from, and under what circumstances she's financially penalized for it. A great example is if her contributions to food for the household are less than 50%, she loses about a third of what she's paid from SSI, so a few hundred dollars.

It is ... taxing to keep up with, to say the least.
It is how they manage to minimize benefit payouts. Of course if you are on disability or SSI, they need to know about income and 'assets' to determine your benefit amount, but they utilize every opportunity available to chip away at that monthly payment, making it near-impossible to save or try to make any 'gains' from it.

I became unable to work as of May, 2008. I started applying for social security disability immediately. I went through the process at least 4 times, with denials and appeals, including having a lawyer and going before an administrative law judge twice.

It took SSA over a full decade to finally find me, "medically disabled" and eligible for benefits. But guess what? All your work credits for social security expire 5 years after you stop working. So instead of being approved for actual "Disability benefits" which would have been based upon former wages and work history, I am now only eligible for Supplemental Security Income which is a fraction of what I would have had with disability.

Not only that, but on ACTUAL disability benefits you are allowed to work and earn up to a certain dollar amount per month or annually BEFORE it has any affect on your benefit amount. Not with SSI. You start working while on SSI, you pretty much lose dollar for dollar in benefits what you start earning.

Oh, you get SNAP or Medicaid benefits through the state? Well guess what? Those departments will now count your measly SSI against other benefits, lowering the amount of SNAP benefits you can get monthly. Get it from one department, they take it away from an adjacent one.

So tell me again how living in poverty (read: $10k annually) is so great and fantastic and stress-free when your income barely pays rent for a shoebox in the lowest-income areas of the country?

Get. Fucking. Real. Out-of-touch asshats.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It is how they manage to minimize benefit payouts. Of course if you are on disability or SSI, they need to know about income and 'assets' to determine your benefit amount, but they utilize every opportunity available to chip away at that monthly payment, making it near-impossible to save or try to make any 'gains' from it.

I became unable to work as of May, 2008. I started applying for social security disability immediately. I went through the process at least 4 times, with denials and appeals, including having a lawyer and going before an administrative law judge twice.

It took SSA over a full decade to finally find me, "medically disabled" and eligible for benefits. But guess what? All your work credits for social security expire 5 years after you stop working. So instead of being approved for actual "Disability benefits" which would have been based upon former wages and work history, I am now only eligible for Supplemental Security Income which is a fraction of what I would have had with disability.

Not only that, but on ACTUAL disability benefits you are allowed to work and earn up to a certain dollar amount per month or annually BEFORE it has any affect on your benefit amount. Not with SSI. You start working while on SSI, you pretty much lose dollar for dollar in benefits what you start earning.

Oh, you get SNAP or Medicaid benefits through the state? Well guess what? Those departments will now count your measly SSI against other benefits, lowering the amount of SNAP benefits you can get monthly. Get it from one department, they take it away from an adjacent one.

So tell me again how living in poverty (read: $10k annually) is so great and fantastic and stress-free when your income barely pays rent for a shoebox in the lowest-income areas of the country?

Get. Fucking. Real. Out-of-touch asshats.
yuuup, and as an added bonus, there's this little death spiral:
Say SSI gives you $500, that's not enough to cover everything, so whoever you live with has to foot the extra to cover whatever.
SSI sees that whoever gives you whatever extra, lets say $50, to cover what you cannot. That $50 is a gift! by golly that means they can pay you less because you're being gifted!
Now you make $450. Everyone should see where this is going.

She's lucky enough to be eligible for an ABLE account since she was disabled very early in life, that technically permits her to maintain a higher balance within that account. Unfortunately, any gift to that account STILL COUNTS as a gift, so it's still possible for her to become ineligible for funding on a given month as a result of 'income' to it.

Added bonus, SSI income still all taxable by the IRS, because fuck you that's why.

Reactions: ch33zw1z and Pohemi

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Pretty much everything you've been stating or claiming is as out-of-touch with the reality of living in poverty!!
Of course there are those who will take advantage of the system. But with that said you really have no idea of what you speak based on what you claim to be your own experiences!
Please stop while you have some semblance of integrity to hold onto......
Must to cling to welfare queen tales. It feels just about right.

• Haha