Big engines are back - With fuel efficiency rising, V8 brawn is hot option for cars, trucks

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Ornery
Honestly, I'd back a gasoline rationing program. Give everybody in the country a quota of gallons per year at the market rate, then add a fee to each gallon used above that. That's fair as fair can be!

Even at higher fuel consumption, I'd rather have a low tech, cheap to fix V8, with some grunt, than a high tech, complex screamer, mounted sideways, with the tranny in the same compartment. Not too keen on CV joints, McPherson struts and timing belts, either.

I'm surprised we are not there yet with Inventories the lowest in over 30 years (since the 1973 Embargo to drive prices up) as the tanks were drained yet again on purpose to drive prices up again. It's not even an Embargo this time, they just say it straight out and nobody seems to care this time, just keep making the vehicles bigger and sucking own more Gas and spinning the numbers.

That was hysterical whoever posted the numbers comparing a lightweight Civic to a monster truck as nearly the same, another candidate to own a share of that Bridge sold here.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
You're going to be walking a lot, driving a creaky old VW. HTF would that thing do on emission tests today, ya hypocrite?

BWAHAHAHA
:D

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Originally posted by: CChaos
What do "performance jewels" have to do with fuel efficiency rising? The cars I posted are what people actually bought and drive. I didn't post an Insight or a Prius or a niche model, but 3 of the best selling cars in this country. That's the real state of the V8. Unless I'm missing something people didn't buy 1 million Corvettes last year, they bought a million F150s.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see many of you didn't read the article which is mostly about trucks and SUVs though it mentions the Hemi will be appearing in the new GMs soon. Yet another symptom of peope thinking bigger is better. "Woot, my Blazer gets twice the mpg it got 20 years ago. Now I get 20mpg!" Oh and I got the MPG figures from cars.com.

2004 525i 19/28 mpg
2004 530i 20/30 mpg
2004 545i 18/26 mpg

That better?

Otherwise the same vehicle, only a 13% difference between the highest and lowest hwy mpg.

Viper GTS

in Theory maybe, in reality it will look very different, even more so if u stomp it. Gas consumption depends extremely on driving habits and type of traffic you are driving. In the US where you are cruising at constant low speed large distances, the gas cansumption difference between a big V8 and a smaller V6 or so will probably fairly small. But here(where the driving is different, the distances shorter and towns waaaaaaay more frequent) for instance the difference between a modern good European(style) car and a US(style)gigantic behemoth will be at least factor 2-3.

CChaos

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
You're going to be walking a lot, driving a creaky old VW. HTF would that thing do on emission tests today, ya hypocrite?

Did somebody mention a VW besides me? I can't imagine that this is addressed to my comment about the Golf TDI. I'm talking about a 2004 Golf TDI with a diesel engine that will get 40-50mpg for 300,000 miles. You can buy one right now so I think it's safe to say they pass emissions. Also, I'm not sure where I ever made a statement about my views on emissions or SUVs. I've just pointed out some facts when people make terrible arguments that have nothing to do with the issue at hand.

For instance, pointing out the efficiency of a German V8 or inline 6. This is a country that loves the diesel engine and produces the 50mpg Golf. Or worse yet, even bringing up a German car in this discussion of what we're building here in North America. Buy your gargantuan SUVs if you want, but don't expect me to jump up and down because it gets 20mpg when it only got 8-10mpg 20 years ago. This just won't impress me.

Also, I took the high road here, but I guess that was lost on most people. Rather than counter Viper by pointing out the V8 with the worst mileage and picking two 4 cylinders with the best, I stuck to the real issue here, which is automotive trends. Jesus, the guy posted 3 niche vehicles.

Let's face it. People want more power, that's why big engines are back. Don't believe me? Ask Ornery:

"I'd give up 25% of the mileage my current car gets, if I could replace the engine with something with more guts. And I don't mean bolting a turbo or blower on it either. "

EDIT: I keep forgetting to address Supertool. I can't help but think that you didn't read the whole thread, and thus missed the point of my choosing those particular vehicles. I guess you didn't read the article either or you could probably figure it out for yourself. Viper thought he would show just how efficient V8s can be by comparing one to two different 4 bangers. I pointed out that this article was about automotive trends, not about picking a few cars that support a theory. The cars I posted are what people are actually buying and driving. So if you want to compare a V8, take an F150 because people bought 1 million of them last year. And if you want to compare some 4 bangers, take the Camry and Accord because they also sold like mad. If you have some other axe to grind that's find, but it has nothing to do with the subject at hand. So say V8s are more efficient than ever, that's fine. But let's not compare a V8 to a 4-cylinder and still pretend at the end of the day that we're rational men.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

Did somebody mention a VW besides me? I can't imagine that this is addressed to my comment about the Golf TDI. I'm talking about a 2004 Golf TDI with a diesel engine that will get 40-50mpg for 300,000 miles. You can buy one right now so I think it's safe to say they pass emissions. Also, I'm not sure where I ever made a statement about my views on emissions or SUVs. I've just pointed out some facts when people make terrible arguments that have nothing to do with the issue at hand.

For instance, pointing out the efficiency of a German V8 or inline 6. This is a country that loves the diesel engine and produces the 50mpg Golf. Or worse yet, even bringing up a German car in this discussion of what we're building here in North America. Buy your gargantuan SUVs if you want, but don't expect me to jump up and down because it gets 20mpg when it only got 8-10mpg 20 years ago. This just won't impress me.

Also, I took the high road here, but I guess that was lost on most people. Rather than counter Viper by pointing out the V8 with the worst mileage and picking two 4 cylinders with the best, I stuck to the real issue here, which is automotive trends. Jesus, the guy posted 3 niche vehicles.

Let's face it. People want more power, that's why big engines are back. Don't believe me? Ask Ornery:

"I'd give up 25% of the mileage my current car gets, if I could replace the engine with something with more guts. And I don't mean bolting a turbo or blower on it either. "

EDIT: I keep forgetting to address Supertool. I can't help but think that you didn't read the whole thread, and thus missed the point of my choosing those particular vehicles. I guess you didn't read the article either or you could probably figure it out for yourself. Viper thought he would show just how efficient V8s can be by comparing one to two different 4 bangers. I pointed out that this article was about automotive trends, not about picking a few cars that support a theory. The cars I posted are what people are actually buying and driving. So if you want to compare a V8, take an F150 because people bought 1 million of them last year. And if you want to compare some 4 bangers, take the Camry and Accord because they also sold like mad. If you have some other axe to grind that's find, but it has nothing to do with the subject at hand. So say V8s are more efficient than ever, that's fine. But let's not compare a V8 to a 4-cylinder and still pretend at the end of the day that we're rational men.

Ornery was referring to this

BTW, the nicest thing about Golfs is that they never run in the first place, so you will definately help the environment by owning one. :D

CChaos

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
BTW, the nicest thing about Golfs is that they never run in the first place, so you will definately help the environment by owning one. :D
Thanks for that. I was afraid my post my start a rash of intelligent comments. No worries now...

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Thanks for that. I was afraid my post my start a rash of intelligent comments. No worries now...

why would intelligent comments start with idiotic arguements?

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
OK, I take back the moron part, but nothing else I said.

I'd give up 25% of the mileage my current car gets, if I could replace the engine with something with more guts. And I don't mean bolting a turbo or blower on it either.

I don't understand why people don't opt for diesel in trucks & SUVs.

You get better mileage, MUCH more torque, and a more reliable & less maintaince motor (all things equal, a diesel will outlast a gasser).

And if you use bio-diesel as fuel (even just a 30% mix of bio-diesel), you'll drastically reduce emissions and even increase mileage by a bit.

All while havin stump pulling torque that diesel's are known for!

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000

So Diesel burns clean? :confused:

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: LAUST

The new diesels aren't anything like the older ones. Check out this article http://www.techtv.com/news/scitech/story/0,24195,3421295,00.html

This is where our efforts should be. I wouldn't mind having a car that runs on vegetable oil.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: LAUST<br

They do if you have a mix of bio-diesel in the tank. Something like 30% bio-diesel and 70% regular diesel does wonders for the emissions.

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN

They do if you have a mix of bio-diesel in the tank. Something like 30% bio-diesel and 70% regular diesel does wonders for the emissions.

Sure but they also produce much more nasty particles than a Gas engine. New filters are coming out so the problems will go down.

BigFatCow

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Honestly, I'd back a gasoline rationing program. Give everybody in the country a quota of gallons per year at the market rate, then add a fee to each gallon used above that. That's fair as fair can be!

Excellent idea. Probably one of the first times we've agreed in a car thread! :p

Only concern would be on businesses. I know that as a company, we probably drive in excess of 3,000,000 miles a year on all of our vehicles/
Apparantly, businesses don't waste gasoline like SUV drivers, so they could be exempt. I doubt they needed rationing stamps during the war either.

Guess my idea ain't so far fetched...

that article is 2 years old.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
  • It's also a lampoon...
    rolleye.gif

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: LAUST
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN

Now we can begin to get to my point ;)

So why are more people not into E85 also

huh?

So your saying diesel is a good thing or a bad thing?