Biden: "Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
So let me get this straight. Two men are trying to break into your house and when you see them, they tell you they have weapons. You then shoot them through the door. Somehow you think this is wrong? Why? Because Biden says it is right? I guess "good shoot" is another concept that goes out the window as soon as a Democrat says it.

I don't think it's wrong, most state law thinks it's wrong. Many state laws stipulate that unless the intruder is inside your house there is no threat to your life and you cannot fire. If you do it is considered a negligent discharge.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
So let me get this straight. Two men are trying to break into your house and when you see them, they tell you they have weapons. You then shoot them through the door. Somehow you think this is wrong? Why? Because Biden says it is right? I guess "good shoot" is another concept that goes out the window as soon as a Democrat says it.

Nice try attempting to save Biden on this, but he makes no mention of someone trying to break in. He said in refrence to just someone coming to your door after an earthquake.

"Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door"

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
What Biden is suggesting is illegal. Why is the VP telling us to commit a felony?

C'mon, put two and two together. They know they cant take our guns away. but if everyone is a felon that will stop us from getting them......................just like the war on drugs.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Biden never explicitly mentioned shooting someone unidentified.

Yes, and when I say 1 + 1 = 2, I could actually be talking in binary digits and be completely wrong. :rolleyes:

Even if the person was identified, most state law stipulates that you cannot fire so long as a wall, door, or any piece of house framing separates you.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Yes, and when I say 1 + 1 = 2, I could actually be talking in binary digits and be completely wrong. :rolleyes:

Even if the person was identified, most state law stipulates that you cannot fire so long as a wall, door, or any piece of house framing separates you.

Negative, most states have strict castle doctrine by about 1 state.

Across the threshold illegally = OK to shoot without identify
Attempting to cross the threshold illegally = OK to shoot without identify

Meaning, if somebody is trying to forcefully enter your home you can shoot through the door.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I don't think it's wrong, most state law thinks it's wrong. Many state laws stipulate that unless the intruder is inside your house there is no threat to your life and you cannot fire. If you do it is considered a negligent discharge.

Negative.

Most states by about 1 state have strict castle doctrine law and attempting to enter illegally automatically presumes threat to life by law and you are OK to shoot.

You know a lot about firearms, so knowledge up on different state laws. You live in a "fucked up state", so I can understand why you would believe what you do.

I'll post my state's laws so you can understand, most states are the same especially the free ones. Across the threshold or attempting to forcbily cross the threshold = OK to shoot and fear of life is presumed, no need to prove it.

Use of defensive force regarding dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle
--
Exceptions.
(1)
A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or
great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force tha
t is
intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
(a)
The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of
unlawfully and forcibly entering or had unlawfully and forcibly entered a
dwelling, residence, or occu
pied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was
attempting to remove another against that person's will from the dwelling,
residence, or occupied vehicle; and
(b)
The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an
unlawful and for
cible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had
occurred.

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Negative, most states have strict castle doctrine by about 1 state.

Across the threshold illegally = OK to shoot without identify
Attempting to cross the threshold illegally = OK to shoot without identify

Meaning, if somebody is trying to forcefully enter your home you can shoot through the door.

Yes, but they have to be doing one of those two things, and then you might have to prove it in court. If they're just standing outside the door, they are not "attempting to cross the threshold illegally". They can stand out there with a freaking Katana and scream about how they're going to kill you. So long as they don't move and they're just screaming, shooting them would be a hard court case at best and a murder conviction at worst.

And at the very least, you have to shoot at them. You can't blindly shoot through an exterior door that you don't know they're behind.

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Seems to me Biden is sounding alot like so many other uhhhhh...."gun enthusiasts", including a few right here in this forum who would say and do exactly as Biden described.

Sure, I understand that this thread is all about poking fun at Biden knowing his penchance for "shooting" his mouth off and all, but maybe, just maybe, could he be making fun of the very folks who's making fun of him right here in this thread?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Seems to me Biden is sounding alot like so many other uhhhhh...."gun enthusiasts", including a few right here in this forum who would say and do exactly as Biden described.

Sure, I understand that this thread is all about poking fun at Biden knowing his penchance for "shooting" his mouth off and all, but maybe, just maybe, could he be making fun of the very folks who's making fun of him right here in this thread?

No. He's not. He's just that stupid.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
No. He's not. He's just that stupid.

Well, I'd like to think that it takes something more than a guy stuck on stupid to become the second-in-command of, arguably, the most powerful nation on the face of the earth, but then I recalled how Bush II made it all the way to the top and right then and there I was compelled to conclude that you may have a point. :D

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

It is illegal to shoot someone through a door. They pose no danger you to you while they are on the opposite side of the door from you.

You agreeing with Biden that people should commit felonies shows just how much of a dem shill you are.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Biden never explicitly mentioned shooting someone unidentified.

Does not matter if the person outside your door is Osama Bin Laden's weapons instructor - you cannot shoot them through your door without committing a felony. Until the person is actively breaking down your door, you cannot shoot that person, no matter how many times Biden says you should do it.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
It illustrates why Politicians should not be messing around with the Constitution.

They ARE, THAT STUPID.

(props to spidey)

-John

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

Given Biden's extremely well known gaffe ability, do you honestly think he is savvy enough to craft this as a dig at any specific group? If so, you think him telling a wheelchair bound man to stand up was a super well crafted dig at a group as well?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Given Biden's extremely well known gaffe ability, do you honestly think he is savvy enough to craft this as a dig at any specific group? If so, you think him telling a wheelchair bound man to stand up was a super well crafted dig at a group as well?
wallpaper-2645916.jpg

Your point is moot

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Does not matter if the person outside your door is Osama Bin Laden's weapons instructor - you cannot shoot them through your door without committing a felony. Until the person is actively breaking down your door, you cannot shoot that person, no matter how many times Biden says you should do it.

He never explicitly mentioned shooting someone for simply standing outside your door either. In the context of an end-of-the-world earthquake scenario with roaming looters and robbers, it's very possible that the hypothetical perp was attempting to enter with force.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I'm waiting for Biden to tell people to smoke marijuana, ignoring the fact that it's in the same federal drug schedule as heroin and PCP :biggrin:

Nov 3, 2004
Biden talks like just another dude, not like the VP of the USA. He's kind of an idiot, but he's more of the kind that makes me laugh, rather than lose faith in humanity (Palin)

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I love Biden because he keeps it real. Remember the time he was talking to a black audience and he said the republicans were trying to put them all back in chains?

Such a shame since that probably did work. I've never robbed a house, but I would probably shit bricks then run like hell if someone started shooting through the door.
Biden is probably not familiar with the laws. It's almost never legal to fire warning shots because that implies your life is not in immediate danger. How ironic is that? Waiting for the guy to kick the door down then shooting him in the head is legal, but firing at the door or at his feet to scare him away is very illegal.

Yep, warning shots are usually illegal. However, "missed" shots aren't.

Officer: "Sir, why did you fire 6 rounds through your door and into the air?"
You: "Sorry sir, I just had no control in the heat of the moment. I think the trigger got stuck or something. When I tried to bring it under control shots went everywhere for a moment. Luckily no one was hurt by it."
Officer: "Get more training before next time then."
You: "Yes sir and good day officer."
Officer: "What an idiot."

Rather be called an idiot by the police than be brought up on charges :)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Biden's advice is right on.

I heard knocking on my door at 5pm. i grabbed my shotgun and blasted twice through the door.

Those fucking pesky Girlscouts won't be selling anymore fucking cookies and getting people fat.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000

In so many words,and given that I threw that out as a long shot: remember my posting this?---> ("maybe, just maybe") I still say yes, it's possible. And given Bush's habit of doing the exact same thing you're accusing Biden of, I chose my words to reflect the biting yet humorous air that permeated this thread before I posted.

If you actually think I was serious about what I said, or are now taking my words seriously to make a point out of context with what, to me, was a comment made in the humorous spirit I understood at the time, then all I can ask of you is that you play on the field I was on to make your point and not the one you dragged me onto. :)

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Biden's advice is right on.

I heard knocking on my door at 5pm. i grabbed my shotgun and blasted twice through the door.

Those fucking pesky Girlscouts won't be selling anymore fucking cookies and getting people fat.

Well they didn't have any thin mints left.