Biden Considering Filibuster Exception for Voting Rights

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Like Manchin wants to avoid same scenario as judge nominations. He’d like everything handled in a bipartisan manner. But when it’s blatant partisan politics going on by the repugnican lead states, a foot needs to be put down somewhere

Reactions: HomerJS
Dec 10, 2005
Like Manchin wants to avoid same scenario as judge nominations. He’d like everything handled in a bipartisan manner. But when it’s blatant partisan politics going on by the repugnican lead states, a foot needs to be put down somewhere
What good is power when it isn't exercised?

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think it is an objective fact that what the Republican Mafia is trying to accomplish by the destruction of election according to the will of the citizens of the United States is evil. I think the difficulty of getting voter legislation past is the results of Republican Mafia activities already put in place. The situation may or may not be hopeless but at the very least I believe a record of who voted for what to save our Democracy should be put on public record. Let those who vote to allow the destruction of our democratic system vote on the record for that and suffer the inevitable, I believe, universal historical contempt.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
What does it matter if Biden supports it? They votes aren't there to do it. And?

May be intentional or coincidental but I'm thinking Biden is covering his ass by putting it on record that he tried to do something to reverse what the Repubs are doing toward targeting suppression and disenfranchisement methods against voters who would vote against them.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
May be intentional or coincidental but I'm thinking Biden is covering his ass by putting it on record that he tried to do something to reverse what the Repubs are doing toward targeting suppression and disenfranchisement methods against voters who would vote against them.

May be, but his political ass covering is of little importance compared to that of the issue of voting rights itself, which right now is more important than any other issue we face.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
If the votes were there for an exception to raise debt ceiling why not voting rights?
Indeed, I can see nothing but hypocrisy in the reluctance of two Democratic senators. Of course, I shouldn't criticize. I have principles I stand by even if it costs my country its democratic system of government, right up to when the US Senate is replaced by hand picked Republican Toddies. Manchin and Sinema, in my opinion, are mentally ill or just worthless liars. But that is not a nice thing to say because it is a judgment rendered before the facts are yet all in.

I personally think Biden should consider going to the American people and asking them for permission to declare Marshal law to protect against a fascist Republican takeover. And if they say no than fuck me because I am one of them. He can jail a few of the Jan 6 collaborators in the Senate, arrest those two for treason, and take another vote. But then, I do like my day dreams.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
They are getting desperate, and they damn well should.
In a little over a year from now republicans could once again control it all, well pretty much all. The all that matters.
And that means no more Jan 6th investigations, no more investigating Trump AT ALL, no more BBB, no more voting rights bills to hints of a bill, and we will see a new senate and house ran amuck top to bottom with Marjorie Taylor Greene's.
Has anyone paid attention to those Trump ass republicans running for house and senate across the country? Some pretty scary shit running for office, if you haven't noticed, and of them poised to take control of our government.
You should be scared.... very scared!!!!

Biden and democrats have very little time left. And don't expect miracles come 2022 or expect anything to change because there will be no miracles and no change. Manchin won't change, Sinema won't change, nothing will change. Just think of it as the democrat party standing in quicksand and the party sinking deeper and deeper while Manchin and Sinema stand there waving bye bye.

• Wow
Reactions: gothuevos

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
If the votes were there for an exception to raise debt ceiling why not voting rights?
Because repubs are gun shy about getting blamed for shutting down payments to veterans, seniors, anyone else in their base.

Thisnis not the same situation as voting rights.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002

He's 79 years old, president, and has been a politician for damn near 50 years. What does he need to CYA for?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
He's 79 years old, president, and has been a politician for damn near 50 years. What does he need to CYA for?

He alluded to the idea that if Trump ran again he'd be happy to take up the challenge so Biden needs to always keep an eye on his record of achievements when it comes time for those two to compare what each accomplished during their terms.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Because repubs are gun shy about getting blamed for shutting down payments to veterans, seniors, anyone else in their base.

Thisnis not the same situation as voting rights.
They are not shy about stealing Democracy, placing barriers in front of minorities voting and putting this country on a path to permanent apartheid.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You mean the same Manchin that went along with a filibuster carve out for raising the debt ceiling?

Say it ain't so!!

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
They are getting desperate, and they damn well should.
In a little over a year from now republicans could once again control it all, well pretty much all. The all that matters.
And that means no more Jan 6th investigations, no more investigating Trump AT ALL, no more BBB, no more voting rights bills to hints of a bill, and we will see a new senate and house ran amuck top to bottom with Marjorie Taylor Greene's.
Has anyone paid attention to those Trump ass republicans running for house and senate across the country? Some pretty scary shit running for office, if you haven't noticed, and of them poised to take control of our government.
You should be scared.... very scared!!!!

Biden and democrats have very little time left. And don't expect miracles come 2022 or expect anything to change because there will be no miracles and no change. Manchin won't change, Sinema won't change, nothing will change. Just think of it as the democrat party standing in quicksand and the party sinking deeper and deeper while Manchin and Sinema stand there waving bye bye.

So its the Republicans fault the Democrats are failing?

lulz