Biden Considering Filibuster Exception for Voting Rights

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Surely you agree this is very good legislation, right?

Why would any Republican think that?
Their chief concern is protecting voter ID and tackling the uncertainty behind mail in ballots. AKA, cutting such ballots as much as possible.

If you do not endorse such things, they will oppose you with everything they have.

Reactions: hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Can you explain the reasoning why you see 50 Republicans voting against voting rights legislation and 2 Democrats and decide that its the Democrats' fault? Surely you agree this is very good legislation, right?
The party in the early 2000s that unanimously reauthorized the 65 Voting Rights Act, today it wouldn't get any Republican votes.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Their chief concern is protecting voter ID and tackling the uncertainty behind mail in ballots. AKA, cutting such ballots as much as possible.

If you do not endorse such things, they will oppose you with everything they have.
While I understand that Republican politicians are attempting to do that so they can win elections despite having a distinct minority in support I would hope the average citizen would be interested in enabling as many legal votes as possible. I guess I'm just giving our friend here the benefit of the doubt that he likes participation in democracy.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Their chief concern is Democrats voting and those votes being counted at all. Beneath the surface of their various bullshit complaints is this core idea that those votes are simply illegitimate.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The party in the early 2000s that unanimously reauthorized the 65 Voting Rights Act, today it wouldn't get any Republican votes.

The argument used against it by Shelby county, is that it was not applied fairly and evenly for all States. It placed a mandate on only some. Selected by a criteria that was attacked as being out of date. Congress never bothered to update the criteria and modernize who was targeted by the VRA, so its restrictions fell outside constitutional bounds. Something Congress could have resolved with a snap of its fingers. But Republicans were clearly not interested in preserving said restrictions as soon as the legal challenge was made.

A grand bargain might be to endorse and facilitate voter ID / in-person voting. In exchange for updating and restoring the VRA.
Unfortunately, no one is interested in such things.

• Haha
Reactions: ivwshane

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The argument used against it by Shelby county, is that it was not applied fairly and evenly for all States. It placed a mandate on only some. Selected by a criteria that was attacked as being out of date. Congress never bothered to update the criteria and modernize who was targeted by the VRA, so its restrictions fell outside constitutional bounds. Something Congress could have resolved with a snap of its fingers. But Republicans were clearly not interested in preserving said restrictions as soon as the legal challenge was made.

A grand bargain might be to endorse and facilitate voter ID / in-person voting. In exchange for updating and restoring the VRA.
The argument used against it by Shelby was that because the voting rights act was effective there was no longer a need for the voting rights act. Seriously.

Edit: Oh, also I momentarily forgot this was that gem of a moment where in back to back opinions for Shelby Scalia argued that because Congress would never exercise its judgment to eliminate the voting rights act on its own the court must do so... and then turned around and argued the defense of marriage act must be preserved because SCOTUS had no right to second guess the judgment of congress. lol.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Can you explain the reasoning why you see 50 Republicans voting against voting rights legislation and 2 Democrats and decide that its the Democrats' fault? Surely you agree this is very good legislation, right?

Again, I was responding to spotages post. not HR1 itself.

The bill, as it sits now, looks fine to me: automatic registration, same-day registration, universal mail-in voting without excuse, a minimum of 15 days of early in-person voting with at least 10 hours a day...however I would add other provisions, which I wont air here because it'll derail the thread. Im in Sinama's corner on this one: I support the bill, but not a shortcut around the the filibuster to get it done.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Not applied evenly? You mean they held the guys wearing white hoods accountable for lynching's? Are you fucking kidding me?

And what did those same Republicans do right after they won the case? Basically, go back to lynching.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Again, I was responding to spotages post. not HR1 itself.

The bill, as it sits now, looks fine to me: automatic registration, same-day registration, universal mail-in voting without excuse, a minimum of 15 days of early in-person voting with at least 10 hours a day...however I would add other provisions, which I wont air here because it'll derail the thread.
I think most people think this bill is reasonable, which is why I don't get why the blame would be on the 2 Democrats opposed to eliminating the filibuster and not the 50 Republicans filibustering it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I am rather stupid but I see 2 Democrats out of 50 as shit heads and 100% of Republicans the same on this one issue. I really don't know what that means in terms of who is to blame but it does tell me every Republican Senator is an asshole. Who would want to be in a party like that? Birds of a feather?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Not applied evenly? You mean they held the guys wearing white hoods accountable for lynching's? Are you fucking kidding me?

And what did those same Republicans do right after they won the case? Basically, go back to lynching.
If you listen to the oral arguments of Shelby or read the opinion it's almost laughable how naïve it was. Or, well, it would be if I thought it was a genuine example of naivete and not a disingenuous way of reaching the decision John Roberts had dedicated a lot of his adult life to.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I am rather stupid but I see 2 Democrats out of 50 as shit heads and 100% of Republicans the same on this one issue. I really don't know what that means in terms of who is to blame but it does tell me every Republican Senator is an asshole. Who would want to be in a party like that? Birds of a feather?
It's only being an asshole if someone holds participation in democracy is an independent virtue that should be protected regardless of the electoral outcomes. Republicans very clearly don't think that, so they don't consider themselves assholes.

• Haha

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

That would only be seen as a compromise if republicans actually cared about voter fraud. They don’t and I’m not quite sure why this point alludes you.

Republicans don’t give a shit about democracy, secure elections, government debt, crt, or any number of things they complain about all the time. All the above are simply tools used to keep themselves in power and to continue gifting the American people, especially their supporters.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Radicalism McBitch? Really.

WHO is afraid of the voting population at large?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

I voted by mail in Nebraska for 16 years, isn't it peculiar that was never an issue to anyone? Gosh, I wonder why that could be. It's a mystery for the ages, I guess!

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010

Just curious, outside of mail in ballots, where in this country are you allowed to show up and vote without showing some sort of ID?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It's only being an asshole if someone holds participation in democracy is an independent virtue that should be protected regardless of the electoral outcomes. Republicans very clearly don't think that, so they don't consider themselves assholes.
It is the nature of human beings to seek justice. The only thing that keeps people from not feeling this internally is a result of mental illness, having ones true nature destroyed in childhood. None the less, consciously or unconsciously, everybody knows the difference between justice and injustice no matter how deeply this truth is buried. They are assholes and know it or not the price they pay is that they will never, with out transformation, enjoy the blessings of true self respect. There is justice. People just don't have trust.

We see that when it comes to freedom of speech and the liberal wish to silence Fox News, that logic, wisdom, and sound education may fail to prevail. It may with some but it will not change the fact that the soul wishes for freedom of speech. We learn rather quickly in life it is the truth that is most hated and people do not want to hear. Each of us has different levels of tolerance, depending on past conditioning, the more tolerance the lest conditioning. We were luck with who are forefathers were and what they know about what happens when the speaking of truth is denied.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Just curious, outside of mail in ballots, where in this country are you allowed to show up and vote without showing some sort of ID?

Been voting in NJ with no ID. It's that way in multiple states. The polling place you are assigned to has the area they cover broken down into smaller sections. You have to go to the person that has the election book for your street number area, sign the form that shows X person from this address came to vote, and then you can vote.