BG II: What makes a good first character

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: you2
Crise this game is long. I've been playing forever and i'm just now entering the underdark. Oh well must be getting close to the end...

That is one of the best things about it, a really fun game that is also lengthy and is fun all the way through it. Shame that we will probably never see a game like Baldur's Gate 2 or PlaneScape: Torment again.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: aCynic2
Crise this game is long. I've been playing forever and i'm just now entering the underdark. Oh well must be getting close to the end...

Yeah, it's a long one, but I was never, ever bored.

One of the things that helped to keep me from getting bored were the romances. I didn't know that was put in when I first played, but it seemed like the ladies I had in my party were squabbling more than they should, under normal circumstances.

And when one in particular returned home and her uncle said she seemed to have a special friend...well...

Damn little tiefling wanted to duel me over a girl. Too bad I couldn't whack him with my Casomyr +5...

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

That is one of the best things about it, a really fun game that is also lengthy and is fun all the way through it. Shame that we will probably never see a game like Baldur's Gate 2 or PlaneScape: Torment again.

lol, even the developers said there is no way in hell a game of bg 2's intracacy and length will ever be released again. Even after all is said and done I think sales were really high but they didnt make a lot of money due to the multi year development.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Actually, the Undersark and several minor quests and one huge chain of major quests that will take a long time.
After you get out of it you will still have plenty to do in the overworld, and maybe even plenty of leftover side quests if you didnt get them all earlier.

You also have Watchers Keep and all the other fun stuff in the expansion, which initially seems pretty short but once you get into it realize that it can take a while.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
besides watchers keep what is the 'other fun stuff' in the expansion - or are you talking about TOB ?

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
besides watchers keep what is the 'other fun stuff' in the expansion - or are you talking about TOB ?
Well, it's pretty much on rails in TOB, where in SOA you were free to do whatever you want.

Hint: If you want to solve the enigma of the golden pantaloons (an item from Baldur's Gate 1. Download Shadowkeeper and use it to get it if you don't have that item) you need to, ah, sub-contract some adventuring work out to get the last piece of the puzzle. It's rather amusing. :p

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If by TOB you mean Throne of Bhaal then that IS the expansion. Thats its name.
By other fun stuff I meant not only the main quest but the handful of optional quests that can also take a little while and provide some nice toys.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Just finished TOB again, wow, this game is hard at the end. Still my favorite game of all time after so many times of playing. Minsc and Boo shall be missed.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Well. I just escaped the underdark and now some stuff up elven prince is getting in my face.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
:laugh:

No. Enjoy the "I can't believe it's this long" nature of it, though... They don't make games like that any more. :(

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: s44
:laugh:

No. Enjoy the "I can't believe it's this long" nature of it, though... They don't make games like that any more. :(

agreed. although you *can* skip the underdark if you want. i wouldn't advise it though - you gain a LOT of levels in the UD, as well as some sexy awesome items. lots of fun NPC interactions, too.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I went to saguin but not sure why you are asking? I don't remember much eventful being there...

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
I was just asking if you had done it, since it's more gameplay time and you could have skipped past doing it by accident.

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
I went to saguin but not sure why you are asking? I don't remember much eventful being there...

There is a cloak you can pick up in the Sahuagin city, the Cloak of Mirroring, perhaps the most overly powerful item in the game. It's not a cheat, but it takes a lot of the challenge out of the game.

Also, in the Ust Natha, there is a two handed sword, one that deals out a fireball 5% of the time, you can steal it over and over, take it to several merchants in Athkatla and make a lot of money.

Also, did you wipe out the whole city? I had.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I did find the cloak (not hard to miss). The sword of fireball i did not see. I just whacked Bodi so i guess i'm near the end - maybe i'll finish tomorrow and enter tob. Is tob very long ? I like the game but it is also getting a bit confusing/old :)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I did find the cloak (not hard to miss). The sword of fireball i did not see. I just whacked Bodi so i guess i'm near the end - maybe i'll finish tomorrow and enter tob. Is tob very long ? I like the game but it is also getting a bit confusing/old :)

you still have a bit to go before you hit the end, but you're getting close :p

edit: if you have ToB installed, did you get the shield of balduran from the adventurer's mart?

far superior to the cloak of mirroring in many ways (beholders, basically).

also make sure you have the robe of the magi (adventurer's mart), armor of balduran is pretty good (-1 AC). carsomyr, crom faeyr. those are the 2 best weapons in the game, more or less. vhailor's helm (adventurer's mart) - cast simacrulum once/day.

yeah.. get those items, you will be damn near unstoppable :D

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
There's no need to load up on the powergaming items unless you're doing Ascension.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I didn't see a shield of balduran - maybe I should go back and check for it. Only sweet Mazzy uses a shield - both minsc and keldorn use two handed swords - mazzy has cron (never saw or heard of carsoymr) minsc had the talking sword but now he is using the vorpal and keldorn uses holy avenger (oh that is carsomyr). I never had problems with beholder. The only problem i have is no freedom spell :(

Hum - should i install assension before I do TOB? (right now i'm trying to do witcher keep but the undead wraith is being a pain on level 3) - i had a bad dream so maybe is should be returning to the demanding elves with boldi heart.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I didn't see a shield of balduran - maybe I should go back and check for it. Only sweet Mazzy uses a shield - both minsc and keldorn use two handed swords - mazzy has cron (never saw or heard of carsoymr) minsc had the talking sword but now he is using the vorpal and keldorn uses holy avenger (oh that is carsomyr). I never had problems with beholder. The only problem i have is no freedom spell :(

Hum - should i install assension before I do TOB? (right now i'm trying to do witcher keep but the undead wraith is being a pain on level 3) - i had a bad dream so maybe is should be returning to the demanding elves with boldi heart.

you can get freedom from the sverbeflin cart in the underdark. or use shadowkeeper to import it :D

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
I didn't see a shield of balduran - maybe I should go back and check for it. Only sweet Mazzy uses a shield - both minsc and keldorn use two handed swords - mazzy has cron (never saw or heard of carsoymr)

You gave Mazzy Crom Faeyr? That's so wrong. She had 2 pips in short sword to start, you should have gone with that because there is an uber powerful short sword to come. Also, max her out on the short bow, give her Tuigan and let her rip!

You might also giv her Kundane, which is zero speed factor, but it's effect is to add one more attack/round.

There is also a nice scimitar of speed (I hope you kept Jaheira).

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I have jaheria but i havent' seen this scimitar of speed. Also I have not seen this uber powerful short sword - is this in SOA or TOB ?

I don't think i can go back into underdark after i left so I don't think i can get another copy of this freedom scroll :(

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
I don't think i can go back into underdark after i left so I don't think i can get another copy of this freedom scroll :(
You can't re-enter the drow city (or sahaguin city) but you can go back to the underdark. Just go to where you met the snooty prince and go in through where you exited.