• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

BG II: What makes a good first character

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mk

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2000
3,241
0
0
Originally posted by: you2
If I leave stuff in the keep will it last across game session or will it go poof when i exit ?
If the keep is yours then yes, all the stuff you leave in any of the containers should still be there until the end of the game (SoA). In ToB you no longer have access to the keep though.

When you choose to accept a stronghold the game will load a new version of the maps involved and items/corpses left on the floor or in the containers will be gone. After that it's a great place to store excess equipment.
 

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
4,912
274
126
Ok. Thanks. This nasty lord freak trapped me - as soon as i find him i'll go back and drop off stuff. Sigh. Why do I always fall for these traps.
 

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
9,426
16
81
If a fight is too hard in BG2, *run away* (or reload and don't start combat). Most of these are optional (esp. the dragon battles) and you can come back when your party is tougher.
 

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
4,912
274
126
Yea. that nasty red dragon died. Now off to the slums to help jan's sister. If only keldorn cared for his comrades and would stop standing there while they are hacked to pieces :(

btw the gamma adjustment helps a little - still not over joyed with the textures - i think also part of the problem is that they don't have a lot of contrast in them (mostly subtle shades of brown or green and such).
 

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
79,103
11,993
126
Originally posted by: you2
Yea. that nasty red dragon died. Now off to the slums to help jan's sister. If only keldorn cared for his comrades and would stop standing there while they are hacked to pieces :(

btw the gamma adjustment helps a little - still not over joyed with the textures - i think also part of the problem is that they don't have a lot of contrast in them (mostly subtle shades of brown or green and such).
If Keldorn is just standing there maybe you should consider giving him some orders.
Dont know how much experience you have with some of the games advanced features but if you click on Keldorns portrait and then click on an enemy, he has a more than fair chance of attempting to attack them.
OR.....
If you dont like clicking a lot, just click on the Lantern button in the lower right corner. Thats the AI ON button.

The AI in BG2 is pretty darn good if you have the expansion installed. It adds a bunch of new scripts.
Click on the character record button (or hit "R") and then click on the Customize button at the bottom. Click on the only available button, Scripts. You should see a fat list of scripts available for everyone. For Keldorn I just recommend one of the basic fighter scripts. He cant use spells and you probably dont want him wasting special abilities unless you tell him.

Do the same with all your team mates. In the end it will mean a lot less headaches for your game.
 

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
4,912
274
126
How do you kill gorf? What I mean is mazzy fights gorf in the pitt. If mazzy wins gorf is unconcious and the game pauses until he heals and repeats (he never dies but mazzy can never leave the pitt). If mazzy dies then i can get out but hen mazzy is dead :(

Is gorf suppose to just go unconcious or is mazzy suppose to kill him and if only unconious how do i get out of hte pitt and if dead how do i get mazzy to strike the death blow after he is unconcious :(
 

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
3,959
3
81
Don't know anything about Gorf, since I ditch Mazzy after doing her individual quest, but here's off from gamefaqs:
OTHER: Mazzy and Gorf (from Vladislav Brkic, and a number of others)

Copper Coronet - Slums (AR0406, x 200 y 1400)

I was selling some goods to Bernard in the Copper Coronet, after
which I left through second door. Outside an Ogre pit fighter
called Gorf the Squisher started talking to Mazzy and said how
halflings don't know how to hit. Then he started hitting some
commoner and talked to Mazzy again and challenged her to a duel in
the Copper Coronet pit. When I entered the Copper Coronet Mazzy
talked to pit manager Surly and he sent us to talk to Gorf's
girlfriend Bunkin. After that I then talked to Festule the
Alchemist (same area x 915 y 1240) and bought a potion to disable
Gorf for 400gp. He also said to try giving it to Bunkin. Then I
talked to Bunkin (x 1200 y 1820), complimented her and she
complained that Gorf never does that, so I gave her Festule's
"love" potion and said that it will solve her problem (for this
the party gained 11,500 exp).

Then Gorf arrived and said that his ale tasted funny but still
entered the pit. Mazzy killed him easily (2500 xp). Then she said
something like "Virtue has won again" and party received another
5000 exp.
 

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
4,912
274
126
Sigh - now everything is broken. This game is pretty dang buddy even with the fix pack:
I'm not sure what is going on - Anomen just got an order to go to the order of radiant heart
to be judged in two days. So I went to the radiant heart (in the temple district) in less than 2 days and nothing much happens. Talking to sir Trawl result in the three standard options (nothing more, what are the crowl wizard, what do you know abuot thief guild). I tried sleeping for a few days and that didn't seem to do much. It is currently day 100 hour 14 and the journal entry reads:
Day 100, Hour 5:

The time has come for Anomen's trial to see whether he shall become full knight of hte Most Noble ordre of the raidant Heart. He must present himself at the order's hall in the temple district within the next two days.

I presume the "order hall" is anywhere in the building but i tried every room. If I sleep for 4 days (12 sleeps) nothing much happens.

Also, if I go to jan (I saved Lissa) Jan sez hi but won't rejoin my group and nothing I do can talk him into it.

Is this a known problem ???
 

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
28,272
3,724
126
Originally posted by: you2
Sigh - now everything is broken. This game is pretty dang buddy even with the fix pack:
I'm not sure what is going on - Anomen just got an order to go to the order of radiant heart
to be judged in two days. So I went to the radiant heart (in the temple district) in less than 2 days and nothing much happens. Talking to sir Trawl result in the three standard options (nothing more, what are the crowl wizard, what do you know abuot thief guild). I tried sleeping for a few days and that didn't seem to do much. It is currently day 100 hour 14 and the journal entry reads:
Day 100, Hour 5:

The time has come for Anomen's trial to see whether he shall become full knight of hte Most Noble ordre of the raidant Heart. He must present himself at the order's hall in the temple district within the next two days.

I presume the "order hall" is anywhere in the building but i tried every room. If I sleep for 4 days (12 sleeps) nothing much happens.

Also, if I go to jan (I saved Lissa) Jan sez hi but won't rejoin my group and nothing I do can talk him into it.

Is this a known problem ???
you need to go and talk to sir ryan trawl again, IIRC.

if you had jan and did his quest, he won't rejoin till you've completed it (i think)
 

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
4,912
274
126
When I 'talk' to sir ryan trawl - he just gives me the three standard options (1) nothing more (2) about the cowle wizards and (3) about the shadow thieves. Is there something else I am suppose to do ??

Also I have completed jan's quest. WHen I go to his home on the third floor - he thanks me (over and over and over) but I'm not allowed to invite him into the group or antyhing. If I go down stairs his mom thanks me. Then if I go back upstairs jan thanks me over and over and over. Sigh.
 

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
28,272
3,724
126
Originally posted by: you2
When I 'talk' to sir ryan trawl - he just gives me the three standard options (1) nothing more (2) about the cowle wizards and (3) about the shadow thieves. Is there something else I am suppose to do ??

Also I have completed jan's quest. WHen I go to his home on the third floor - he thanks me (over and over and over) but I'm not allowed to invite him into the group or antyhing. If I go down stairs his mom thanks me. Then if I go back upstairs jan thanks me over and over and over. Sigh.
try talking to all the other knights then. if nothing works, your game may be broken - try reloading a few saves back.

bg2 is just so damn big things sometimes (not always) break.
 

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
4,912
274
126
Sigh. I was 'fraid you would say 'go back to an older game'. The closest save i have is from 20 days earlier (game time). Is there nothing else I can do ?
 

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
28,272
3,724
126
Originally posted by: you2
Sigh. I was 'fraid you would say 'go back to an older game'. The closest save i have is from 20 days earlier (game time). Is there nothing else I can do ?
well if you rested as frequently as you appear to have, 20 game days isn't much :p
 

aCynic2

Senior member
Apr 28, 2007
710
0
0
Wow, I've never seen anyone experience so many bugs in BGII before. The biggest I had was breaking the Jaheira romance (easy to do, actually), but none of this stuff.

What version of the game did you get? Was it the Gogamer offer of the entire infinity engine line + the original NWN in one boxed set? I think that one has all the patches you need. If you applied Baulderdash's fix pack, you may have inadvertently broken a lot of scripts.

Go back to a prior save, but also clear the cache. In sub-directory under the Black Isle directory is one labeled cache. Purge all that is in there (but don't delete the directory).

If you continue to have problems, consider a reinstall w/o any external patches applied (no Baulderdash).
 

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
27,730
7
0
Dang, now I have to reinstall BG2 . . . and I think I'll reinstall PST while I'm at it. :p
 

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
3,959
3
81
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Dang, now I have to reinstall BG2 . . . and I think I'll reinstall PST while I'm at it. :p
Don't forget optional mods, since you're playing through it again, like the fix for when party members disappear

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/index_mods.php

And if you haven't tried items like the eye of vecna before, use the "tome o' cheats" mod so you can summon it! Or, you can use another mod so you can buy it from a shop. It replaces the Modron Cube, I think, so you might want to look up the cheat code to summon that item, in case it's unavailable for sale.
 

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
14,267
3
81
To get Jan back, you could always resort to cheating and using CTRL-Q to add him back in. I'm sure you could also get Anomen's quest to work with Shadowkeeper, too...
 

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
27,730
7
0
Originally posted by: Shadowknight
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Dang, now I have to reinstall BG2 . . . and I think I'll reinstall PST while I'm at it. :p
Don't forget optional mods, since you're playing through it again, like the fix for when party members disappear

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/index_mods.php

And if you haven't tried items like the eye of vecna before, use the "tome o' cheats" mod so you can summon it! Or, you can use another mod so you can buy it from a shop. It replaces the Modron Cube, I think, so you might want to look up the cheat code to summon that item, in case it's unavailable for sale.
No thanks, I'll just take the fix pack. :)
 

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
4,912
274
126
What is in the cache? Will clearing it also (maybe) fix my current problem? I have the complete edition (4 dvd) and I installed the offiical patch followed by the fix pack (the fix pack was the newer one - but i forget the name - something like baldur dash). I actually only have two problems - jan seems stuck and anomen seems stuck - mazzy/gorf was solved by haivng mazzy wield a weapon.

However, both jan and anomen seem like real bugs.
 

aCynic2

Senior member
Apr 28, 2007
710
0
0
DVDs or CDs? I have the "Forgotten Realms: Deluxe Edition" which is BG1 and 2 + all expansions, IWD1 and 2 + all expansions, NWN + all expansions. These are all DVDs.

I also have BGII in it's original CD format.

The cache stores the areas recetly visited so if you go back to them, they will load faster. However, they also store some pre-calculated stuff, such as what you've done and not done, failed at and not attempted. If there is a bad value in there, clearing MIGHT help restore the game's playability. It will cause all areas to take longer to load as it will be loading from CD/DVD again, but it will just load up the cache.
 

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
4,912
274
126
The complete version is bg2+tob that they sell for $20 but can be found for $15 or $20. It has no manual and it has 4 cds (in error i said dvd above). This is the version I have.
 

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
4,912
274
126
Ok. reloading my day 80 game and doing jan quest worked fine. Now another 10 days or so to see if anomen's quest work.
 

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
4,912
274
126
Crise this game is long. I've been playing forever and i'm just now entering the underdark. Oh well must be getting close to the end...
 

aCynic2

Senior member
Apr 28, 2007
710
0
0
Originally posted by: you2
Crise this game is long. I've been playing forever and i'm just now entering the underdark. Oh well must be getting close to the end...
Yeah, it's a long one, but I was never, ever bored.

One of the things that helped to keep me from getting bored were the romances. I didn't know that was put in when I first played, but it seemed like the ladies I had in my party were squabbling more than they should, under normal circumstances.

And when one in particular returned home and her uncle said she seemed to have a special friend...well...
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY