BFG is going out of business - do not buy

theone2010

Sep 16, 2010
BFG is going out of business and will no longer support their video cards or other pc products they sale.

I repeat they will not support or provide a warranty for any of their products.

I spoke to a rep today and he said in the last 3 weeks this has all come about. They were going to sale only power supplies and other products, but no longer video cards because of Nvidia profit margin and driver issues with their cards.

I am upset for two reasons, I own one of their cards and just bought it within a few months ago and the other reason is because of a rebate which will probably not be honored.

So if you are buying a video card, do not buy BFG.

I have always supported BFG, but can't buy a product that is not supported any longer.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
BFG is going out of business and will no longer support their video cards or other pc products they sale.

I spoke to a rep today and he said in the last 3 weeks this has all come about. They were going to sale only power supplies and other products, but no longer video cards because of Nvidia profit margin and driver issues with their cards.

I am upset for two reasons, I own one of their cards and just bought it within a few months ago and the other reason is because of a rebate which will probably not be honored.

I have always supported BFG, but can't buy a product that is not supported any longer.

Welcome and sorry you feel like you got burned but, this is old news.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Sure wish I would have known this or I would have not bought a BFG video card.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/video/bfg-tech-sending-rma-denial-letters-winding-business/

As long as the card wasn't DOA, you'll probably be fine until the next time you upgrade. I never expect any graphics card company to stand behind their products because of volatility of the GPU market. Of course, I'm an atypical enthusiast because I only upgrade about every two years.

If you never expect to get a rebate, you'll never be disappointed.

shingletingle

Jun 30, 2007

Thanks for repeating your statement. I was unable to go back and read your first sentence a second time.

Thread-crapping is not acceptable.

Moderator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
Thanks for repeating your statement. I was unable to go back and read your first sentence a second time.

You don't need to be rude.

The PC community in general is upset over BFG going out of business. A lot of peopel are going to be burned by this. They were the one brand you could walk into BB and buy without worry.

What happened to BFG is one of the two big reasons I will no longer buy Nvidia products. BFG was a good company that did treated their customers right.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Welcome to the forums theone2010! :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear it is under these circumstances :(

Hopefully your card outlives your need for it.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
You don't need to be rude.

The PC community in general is upset over BFG going out of business. A lot of peopel are going to be burned by this. They were the one brand you could walk into BB and buy without worry.

What happened to BFG is one of the two big reasons I will no longer buy Nvidia products. BFG was a good company that did treated their customers right.
What's the other reason?

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Yeah, BFG was the best on Nvidia's side. They were one of the first and only few to offer lifetime warranties and when EVGA rolled out the step-up, BFG also had their step-up.

They also came out with the first water blocked video card.

Sad to see them go.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
These things happen, though unfortunate. On a positive note there is a very good chance that your video card will last years without you having to worry about using the warranty.

I am kind of surprised that more companies don't offer both AMD and Nvidia based cards. Back when the 2900XT was sucking it up I'm sure AMD's partners wouldn't have minded having 8800GT's for sale. And when Fermi existed nowhere but in Power Point slides I'm sure BFG would have loved to have Radeon 5xxx parts.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Blocking PhysX from running on an Nvidia GPU when an ATI card is present. Granted this is only used/supported in a few games but it's still a really low move on Nvidia's part.

While I'm not big on Physx, the principal of that does kind of bother me as well.

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
These things happen, though unfortunate. On a positive note there is a very good chance that your video card will last years without you having to worry about using the warranty.

I am kind of surprised that more companies don't offer both AMD and Nvidia based cards. Back when the 2900XT was sucking it up I'm sure AMD's partners wouldn't have minded having 8800GT's for sale. And when Fermi existed nowhere but in Power Point slides I'm sure BFG would have loved to have Radeon 5xxx parts.

AMD has enough partners now. XFX beat BFG to lifeboot in ditching the Nvidia ship. So when BFG came knocking at AMD's door they were denied.

Nvidia also holds grudges and doesn't give as much allotment to the comapnies that sell both team's products.

AMD: Sapphire, Powercolor, XFX, HIS, Biostar, Visontek, & Diamond.

Nvidia: EVGA, Galaxy, Palit, PNY, Zotac, & Sparkle.

Both: Asus, MSI, & Gigabute.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
AMD has enough partners now. XFX beat BFG to lifeboot in ditching the Nvidia ship. So when BFG came knocking at AMD's door they were denied.

Nvidia also holds grudges and doesn't give as much allotment to the comapnies that sell both team's products.

AMD: Sapphire, Powercolor, XFX, HIS, Biostar, Visontek, & Diamond.

Nvidia: EVGA, Galaxy, Palit, PNY, Zotac, & Sparkle.

Both: Asus, MSI, & Gigabute.

I didn't necessarily mean that I don't understand why more companies don't switch to offering both now, I meant it in general. Right now AMD may turn away companies, but that wasn't always the case.

Do these companies typically build their own cards (I know they do for non-reference, or at least order them from a third party) or does an OEM like Sapphire or Foxconn build them? If they build their own parts I guess I could see how running multiple production lines could cost more money then some may think it's worth.

I thought what happened with XFX was more that they didn't want to buy the bundle that Nvidia was rumored to force it's partners to purchase if they wanted a Fermi card. But maybe not, I thought that was just something I remembered hearing.

At any rate, there are a number of companies that sell both (as you mentioned) so I don't think Nvidia not giving them enough inventory has hurt them. At any rate, I'd trade HIS or Power Color to build my 6870 (assuming I'll buy one). ;)

4ghz

Sep 11, 2010
I bought 3 BFG lower end cards between end of June and Mid July. Got all 3 rebates cards last week. So it does look like they are at least honoring rebates for now.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
welcome to 3+ months ago, the writing has been on the wall for a while on this sorry you found out to late. RIP BFG.

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
This is just like when CompUSA went out of business and left several thousand unhappy Mad Dog Multimedia customers out in the lurch.

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
I must say I had several problems 2 years ago with BFG. I tried to buy a BFG 9800GX2 from newegg but kept getting used ones. Their support was no help. I gave up and bought an EVGA from Tiger Direct.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
I must say I had several problems 2 years ago with BFG. I tried to buy a BFG 9800GX2 from newegg but kept getting used ones. Their support was no help. I gave up and bought an EVGA from Tiger Direct.

that's a newegg problem.

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
that's a newegg problem.

Well, I tried to register one of those cards with BFG, but they said it had been registered already. Their phone support was rude and did not believe me. I think BFG was sending Newegg cards that had been returned to them for their step up program, and being sold as new. There is a lot more to this story which made me not want to buy a BFG product again. Newegg tried to make it right for me, but I got tired of the whole process. But, I also realize this sort of crap is probably not 100 percent indicative of BFG.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Yet again I'll say it sucks to see BFG go. I bought a BFG 6800nu on launch and unlocked the extra shaders on it. Was a great card.