BF3 CPU bottleneck? Really?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Have any of you found a solution to the CPU bottleneck? I'm experiencing it as well. Here are my settings/rig:

1080p
2500k @ 4.4ghz
7850 crossfire at 1180mhz
BF3 set to ultra mode with 4xAA

*edit* it turns out that by disabling crossfire I'm now pegged at 60fps even on large multiplayer maps.

*edit #2* I updated to the 12.9 beta cats and it's fixed. One of my GPUs might have been clocked at 525mhz as well which I have also fixed. I'm now getting excellent performance.

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I'm not sure why, but I have absolutely zero performance issues with BF3 @ 1920x1200 w/2500K @ 4.5

I can hit 4.8-5.0 with higher voltage, but it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Rest :

16GB DDR3-1866, 2GB 670 FTW, 256GB Vertex 4, Asus Z68 Pro, etc.

The only things I turn down I believe are shadows a notch, and AA a little bit. Leave HBAO on, everything else maxed, solid ~60FPS with Vsync on (I freaking hate tearing). All together works well, good enough to maintain a 3+ KDR at least, which is decent enough for a non-flier.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'm not sure why, but I have absolutely zero performance issues with BF3 @ 1920x1200 w/2500K @ 4.5

I can hit 4.8-5.0 with higher voltage, but it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Rest :

16GB DDR3-1866, 2GB 670 FTW, 256GB Vertex 4, Asus Z68 Pro, etc.

The only things I turn down I believe are shadows a notch, and AA a little bit. Leave HBAO on, everything else maxed, solid ~60FPS with Vsync on (I freaking hate tearing). All together works well, good enough to maintain a 3+ KDR at least, which is decent enough for a non-flier.

There really never was an "issue". It was more of an annoyance that people were seeing their dual card setups not getting full usage. It is due to a CPU bottleneck. Performance is great anyways.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Back from the dead this thread goes.:D

While back,my 3770k system was stolen and just this week i have configured basically the finishing touchs on this new build with some interesting numbers.

System has a i5 2500 non k,a evga gtx670 8gb of ram and a 180 ssd.

Tried out a empty Gulf of Oman server using a 17'' 144x900 monitor,settings all maxed as well as vsync enabled with interesting results.....

I have found on top of the towers and big buildings,gpu usage would be in the 80-96% range but for the most part i was holding 60fps .

I actually had to enable vsync cause my cpu kept loading well over 80% usage on all the cores and it caused some major stuttering for some reason only killing msaa would fix,or enabling vsync would fix.....

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
I actually had to enable vsync cause my cpu kept loading well over 80% usage on all the cores and it caused some major stuttering for some reason only killing msaa would fix,or enabling vsync would fix.....

VSync in an FPS? ewww

~
GameTime.MaxVariableFPS 60

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
VSync in an FPS? ewww

~
GameTime.MaxVariableFPS 60

Hmm yes not everyone likes playing with image tearing.

Don't be like that other guy I talked to in CS go who told me he was getting 300fps with vsnyc off and was not getting any image tearing and he actually expected me to believe him.

I understand in some games it not as noticeable but on a fps with fast movement that is where I see image tearing the most.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005

Don't be like that other guy I talked to in CS go who told me he was getting 300fps with vsnyc off and was not getting any image tearing and he actually expected me to believe him.

I understand in some games it not as noticeable but on a fps with fast movement that is where I see image tearing the most.

Doesn't the tearing mostly occur when FPS is above your display Hz? So at a solid 60fps there is rarely any tearing to be seen?

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012

tearing vs lower input latency,
I prefer lower input latency...
also there are a lot of variables, I play without vsync and in many games tearing is far less noticeable

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Doesn't the tearing mostly occur when FPS is above your display Hz? So at a solid 60fps there is rarely any tearing to be seen?

yes it does occur when your fps is above your hz.

But how many new games do you get 60fps solid across all of the maps.

So that would be 60fps avg,max,minimum.

When I start playing borderlands 2 with vsync off I notice image tearing right away.

ON CS its not as obvious but I still see it.

tearing vs lower input latency,
I prefer lower input latency...
also there are a lot of variables, I play without vsync and in many games tearing is far less noticeable

It was never a question about input latency vs tearing. Most people would take tearing over input lag!

And I agree it seems to vary on a game to game basis.

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I only enabled vsync cause when it was not enabled i was dipping into the 40fps range at some random points,despite low gpu usage which indicated a cpu bottleneck.

Enabling vsync in my case dropped cpu load,turned the stuttering mess into silky smooth gameplay but i have found some situations where a gtx670 at 1440x900 can still dip as low as 54fps....when this happens theres a much higher cpu load,low gpu usage and the apparent stutter suggesting i need more cpu power.

Will be jumping ship and getting a 1080p monitor when my gf gets this monitor after her tower is built in a few months,but damn i'm blown away by the experience still i am seeing at 1440x900 with such high end hardware.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I tried both the mentioned options,no difference from what i saw.

On another note,i toyed around a bit on the gulf of oman map again,same settings as before and i saw it dip into the 40s still on a 64 player server.

I decided to drop the settings all the way to low 1024x768 and i saw basically the same results as i did at 1440x900 ultra indicating and proving the evidence of a bottleneck.

Might just believe pulling a minimum of 60 fps in this game is impossible right now with current generation hardware at basically any resolution under the sun.

Two gtx670s can hit into the 50s still with a oced 3930k at 1080p, i will assume that would be the case with a single gtx670 even as low as 1024x768.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I tried both the mentioned options,no difference from what i saw.

On another note,i toyed around a bit on the gulf of oman map again,same settings as before and i saw it dip into the 40s still on a 64 player server.

I decided to drop the settings all the way to low 1024x768 and i saw basically the same results as i did at 1440x900 ultra indicating and proving the evidence of a bottleneck.

Might just believe pulling a minimum of 60 fps in this game is impossible right now with current generation hardware at basically any resolution under the sun.

Two gtx670s can hit into the 50s still with a oced 3930k at 1080p, i will assume that would be the case with a single gtx670 even as low as 1024x768.

My OC'd 2500k would dip in the mid 50's on gulf of omen at any resolution.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
There is no CPU bottleneck going on. yall are wrong .

His CPU is fine. Its just that if you want that b2k map to be fast, grab a 690 GTX I promise you 60fps and dips in 50's c. Also your cpu is fine but see if you can OC it to 4.6Ghz at least.. gl

InsaneAdam

Jan 5, 2013
I'm getting a 3820 sb-e in the mail today or tomorrow. Plan on overclocking to 4.7- 4.8 maybe more if it's stable. Will this be enough cpu power to handle bf3 64 player?

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
I'm getting a 3820 sb-e in the mail today or tomorrow. Plan on overclocking to 4.7- 4.8 maybe more if it's stable. Will this be enough cpu power to handle bf3 64 player?

What do you think?

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011

My old h61+i5 2500 non k could handle this game with a single gtx670,going to a 3930k@4ghz only netted me a much faster loading time,tad bit smoother gameplay but not enough to warrant suggesting as a must have for the game.

You could leave that 3820 at stock and i bet with a single gpu,you won't even notice a difference besides a slightly faster loading time.

Honestly was thinking today that by the time people can max this game out hardware wise all the way and sustain 60fps at all times,that most people will be playing BF4 struggling as much as they did prior with BF3.

Last edited: