Better to get old i7 or new i5 with new mobo?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
How safe is it to buy a used CPU, say, for example, on Craigslist? Someone near me happens to be selling one on CL for $200.

While my research suggests that a CPU is one of the safer components to buy for a computer (as it has no mechanical parts), some articles suggest that heavy or abnormal overclocking could damage/age the CPU in a way that I wouldn't be able to appreciate until I popped it into my computer. Thoughts?

I guess it depends on what you can accurately find out about the item before you pull the string. Every situation is different. Couple years ago, I got a combo mobo-Ivy 3570K-16GB RAM for $300. I was really just interested in the board, hard to find by itself. The seller was candid; had never overclocked the CPU. What he said and the way he said it made me conclude that the processor had never been abused.

If you buy from someone who overclocks like I do, it's not likely to have much damage from the voltage. I've heard others with horror stories about their used processor purchases. If you buy from some outfit like Ascendtech, there's a warranty period and greater chance or certainty that they pulled the processor from surplus OEMs, test systems or corporate IT acquisitions.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Used locked CPUs are a very good bet, unlocked ones, less so due to the obvious potential for abuse and damage. Yet the far more likely scenario is to receive a used sample that just didn't OC as well as the previous owner wanted, or they just upgraded. I've found CPUs to be extraordinarily robust given the delicacy of their internal circuitry. The fact that they can survive a lot of abuse is in itself a modern marvel. What I would advise is that if you want to have a chance of getting a good OCing sample, buy new. If you don't care, used is a decent bet.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
How safe is it to buy a used CPU, say, for example, on Craigslist? Someone near me happens to be selling one on CL for $200.

While my research suggests that a CPU is one of the safer components to buy for a computer (as it has no mechanical parts), some articles suggest that heavy or abnormal overclocking could damage/age the CPU in a way that I wouldn't be able to appreciate until I popped it into my computer. Thoughts?

I'm not sure I have an answer based on past experience. I would never buy a cpu (or much anything) off of Craigslist. I always buy my CPUs from Amazon, Newegg, Fry's or Microcenter.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
If that craigslist cpu can be shown working I'd buy it. Good price.

This. If you can see it works then you shouldn't have any problems. Otherwise use ebay where you have some buyer protection.

EDIT

Also, this
Has it been noted that the OP's DDR3 can't be used in the GA-H110N?

It really comes down to if you want a new platform that will last longer or something that will perform plenty good for some time. I'd go with Option #1 myself.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

I would get him/her on the phone and ask. Go by instinct and intuition and unless that red light turns on .. Do it.

Wait, "$269 at Microcenter" ? I would spend the 69$ and get a new... or use that price to hackle the CL offer down to 150

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Go 4790k for sure. I'd also pick up another 8 GB of RAM to round it out to 16, since its quite cheap and it helps in some cases

MicGGGGG

Jan 2, 2017
Two cents from a guy who just delidded 3770k and got a 20c drop.
If you have no intention to upgrade your whole components, like me sticking with 3770k, go for older processor, delid it (or not), and get a very comfortable 4.5GHz with some good small cooler, say noctua low profile ones, and it will still shock you for a couple of years. But new technologies are always better, like my ITX built with 6400 bclk oc@4.3GHz, it almost got the same benchmark as 3770k @4.5GHz, that's 4 threads vs 8threads, and the OCed 6400 is quiet and never exceeds 65C with Deepcool Maxx300, which is a 10 dollar cooler after rebate. Overall, I would say, newer is better, based on your current setup, I would suggest Haswell i5-K and oc it, good enough for daily use and gaming. i7 only performs better when you do rendering and stuff.