SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Listen to Beto call out our sins, the self-flagellation of the evangelical left. Evil America is to blame, all our fault. If only I wasn't drinking out of this water bottle or use that straw with my drink from Chipolte yesterday. What a tool.

Reactions: MAMAFUFU

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Beto spelled out factually why Central America has lots of problems and how a much of it is directly or indirectly our fault:

1) Lots of US intervention over the decades (centuries really). Propping up friendly dictators, toppling governments, starting conflicts, use of the military to protect corporate interests, etc.

2) The drug war which we partially pushed out of South America and into Central America. It's unwinnable but those people are paying the price in the collapse of the rule of law, such as it is. Making it nearly impossible to achieve much forward momentum socially and economically.

3) Climate change has caused drought and invasive diseases/species that harmed agriculture, particularly coffee production. Brazil has something to do with this as well since they've cleared huge chunks of rain forest to plant coffee and simultaneously swamped the international market with product so Central Americans can't compete on price anymore.

I thought Republicans are for responsibility or something?

Last edited:

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Beto spelled out factually why Central America has lots of problems and how a much of it is directly or indirectly our fault:

1) Lots of US intervention over the decades (centuries really). Propping up friendly dictators, toppling governments, starting conflicts, use of the military to protect corporate interests, etc.

2) The drug war which we partially pushed out of South America and into Central America. It's unwinnable but those people are paying the price in the collapse of the rule of law, such as it is. Making it nearly impossible to achieve much forward momentum socially and economically.

3) Climate change has caused drought and invasive diseases/species that harmed agriculture, particularly coffee production. Brazil has something to do with this as well since they've cleared huge chunks of rain forest to plant coffee and simultaneously swamped the international market with product so Central Americans can't compete on price anymore.

Republicans are for responsibility if it involves a women's reproductive parts... ohh wait nevermind..

Reactions: Meghan54

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
It's hilarious when Slow posts a video that is wholly correct and really just owns him. The right is more than happy to cause problems but unwilling to make the sacrifices to fix them. It's like 1 part stupid, 2 parts selfish, 1 part self unaware, 3 parts lack of empathy and you have the modern GOP.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
The reason that South America is a mess is because of the USA, France and Britain creating the conditions that led to this mess. Regarding drought, the one that you should be concerned about is your own drought of compassion, empathy and intelligence.

You are a wasteland of a person, a desert.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The reason that South America is a mess is because of the USA, France and Britain creating the conditions that led to this mess. Regarding drought, the one that you should be concerned about is your own drought of compassion, empathy and intelligence.

You are a wasteland of a person, a desert.
He was once passed over for a job position because of the color of his skin (in his own mind) and have been trying to make the world pay for this great injustice ever since.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

It’s just that he overlooked or forgot lot of relevant facts, such as:

The influence of Spanish colonialism and subsequent power vacuum when Spain declined as a colonial power.

The rise of banana republic ultra capitalist agricultural economies in the late 1800s and early 1900s which briefly created a Central American identity, until...

The coups and internal wars of the early 1900s that destabilized the region and resulted in various military and revolutionary factions forming that...

Eventually led to marxism taking root, dragging Central America into the Cold War and further complicated by the war on drugs.

Beto, like most Hot Topic liberals, thinks that the Che poster in his college dorm room makes him an expert on Central America.

There is a reason why born to run Beto fell to the back of the pack.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

The influence of Spanish colonialism and subsequent power vacuum when Spain declined as a colonial power.

The rise of banana republic ultra capitalist agricultural economies in the late 1800s and early 1900s which briefly created a Central American identity, until...

The coups and internal wars of the early 1900s that destabilized the region and resulted in various military and revolutionary factions forming that...

Eventually led to marxism taking root, dragging Central America into the Cold War and further complicated by the war on drugs.

Beto, like most Hot Topic liberals, thinks that the Che poster in his college dorm room makes him an expert on Central America.

If "Really, I blame Cortes" is the rationalization here I'm not going to waste my time.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

You know, we can admit our part in the equation, a shithole-equation as it may be, without jumping to the conclusion that the west owes reparations to everyone else. We could look at our selves and conclude that at the planet cannot sustain the rate at which we currently consume, especially us in the west. I dont think Beto is saying anything else than that.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Cute, another "blame America first" tool comes along.
As a conservative your first instinct when presented with data that hurts your feelings, in this case that America could play some part in some real world problem, is to rationalize away feelings of guilt. This is because you have a very fragile ego that can't handle criticism. We liberals, on the other hand, can admit to things like mistakes, sins, errors in judgment, ignorance, etc. because our ego structures are strong enough to handle just criticism. We won't collapse in the corner somewhere, flagellating ourselves unmercifully because Daddy and Mommy might get mad at us.

And,of course. the truth you can't face in yourself, you will see out there in the other, liberals, in this case.

All you do in arguing with liberals is reflect back to them what they tell you about yourself. You now have learned to accuse them of projection, not yourself. In this way, the attacks on your ego have caused you to become a deeply committed deranged fanatic, hopelessly imprisoned in a delusional state. Now you can call me that, but I already see that. It's how I see you because I know me. I'm just not riddled, as you are, with guilt and shame. I died of that disease.

Death before resurrection. Sorry, but those are the rules and no wishful thinking can change them.

Nov 25, 2013

That is truly a wonderful misrepresentation of American/Latin American history. You did good.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Travel anywhere in America.. you see drug needles everywhere.

And they are killing themselves at a faster rate than anywhere else on the planet due to overdoses and guns so the rest of the world doesn't even need to solve the problem that is solving itself.

Nov 25, 2013
Actually, I'd say you're ignoring quite a bit of history there to blame America. Please proceed, comrade.

I suspect I know more about the history in question than you ever will.

And "comrade"? ROFLMAO. You don't understand my politics in even the smallest way.