Beto For TXGov?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Just about anyone with a shred of compassion and intelligence could beat Abbott... in a fair election, anyway. Not sure if Beto would be the best candidate, but he'd stand a better chance than most.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Just about anyone with a shred of compassion and intelligence could beat Abbott... in a fair election, anyway. Not sure if Beto would be the best candidate, but he'd stand a better chance than most.
IIRC he's the best candidate TX Dems have, but he's unlikely to unseat Abbott. I'd like to see him wait and take another run at Ted Cruz. The gap was 2 points last time and despite Texas' still heavy Repug advantage, I wouldn't rule Beto out.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
A two time loser? I highly doubt it. Sure he’d be fine as a governor but I just don’t think Texas is at that point, even though they should have been years ago.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Gun thing is Beto's biggest problem. Though Abbott has attracted an extraordinary amount of negative attention to himself which is probably going to get even worse as he works to stave off primary challengers. Even people I know who are generally disconnected from state level politics have nothing but bad things to say about him mostly relating to the winter storm and especially lately COVID.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Gun thing is Beto's biggest problem. Though Abbott has attracted an extraordinary amount of negative attention to himself which is probably going to get even worse as he works to stave off primary challengers. Even people I know who are generally disconnected from state level politics have nothing but bad things to say about him mostly relating to the winter storm and especially lately COVID.
People in Texas would rather freeze to death vs allowing any new gun regulations. Who needs a stinkin' electrical grid?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
People in Texas would rather freeze to death vs allowing any new gun regulations. Who needs a stinkin' electrical grid?

I'm thinking most of those voters probably were not in his camp to begin with.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
It's a nice thought, but I have doubts. Elections in Howdy Arabia aren't really fair for non-GQP, then there is Beto's prior comments about guns (and seizure). Problematic to say the least.

Maybe mass death from covid45 and living with the grid from a 'shithole country' could override that somehow, here's hoping. I'd love for TX to jump into the 21st century with the rest of us. If not Beto than maybe McConaughey, I'd definitely be alright alright alright with that.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Not like the gun nut crowd would ever vote for a non-Republican anyways.
There are plenty of gun owning Democrats in Texas too and Independents. Guns are such a big part of Texas culture, I would expect them to be one of the last states to have stricter gun control.

Reactions: Bitek

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Not like the gun nut crowd would ever vote for a non-Republican anyways.
You aren't winning Texas without getting at least some votes from gun owners, a quite a few votes from people that support gun ownership.

I think Beto is dead for state wide election due to his gun comments.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Naw, he's not the guy. Not one republican would vote for him and TX is a republican state. However, how about someone other than Beto giving it a try?

I think both sides have a real shortage of good candidates.
On the republican side all they can come up with is people like Marjorie Taylor Greene and Matt Gaetz.
Democrats have it no better with people like Kyrsten Sinema and Joe Manchin.

What ever happened to the decent and loyal candidates like the Howard Baker's, the the Everett Dirksen's and the Sam Ervin's? They were true blue Americans and acted like it. I think we're screwed. It looks like Donald Trump is the new standard in American politics. Our future candidates will come from the circus, reality tv, and talk radio.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
You aren't winning Texas without getting at least some votes from gun owners, a quite a few votes from people that support gun ownership.

I think Beto is dead for state wide election due to his gun comments.

Beto is dead for state wide election because he doesn't have the Magic R next to his name on the ballot.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Beto is dead for state wide election because he doesn't have the Magic R next to his name on the ballot.
That doesn't help at all, which is why we also can't shoot himself in the foot threatening to takeaway their metal dick extenders.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
That doesn't help at all, which is why we also can't shoot himself in the foot threatening to takeaway their metal dick extenders.

Maybe the Democrats would have half a chance when the boomers are gone but until then Magic R trumps all on the ballot.

Feb 4, 2009
Regarding Beto, where he is at is the right place for him.
Better and likely more successful thing would be to run for Ted (the guy whose Dad had something to do with the Kennedy assassination per the former President) Senate seat.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
He's already had two cracks at bat and missed twice. He didn't even do particularly well in the primaries, and made comments that only hurt him.

He should have played it smarter and used the platform to raise his standing, instead he diminished it. Hickenlooper was smarter and now has a Senate seat.

Time to move on from Beto.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
ugh. abbott just gonna run the "hell yeah we're taking your AR-15" clip over and over and over and roll to reelection. he'll have a harder fight against evil keebler elf don huffines in the primary.