Best way to rip Blu-Ray & DVD

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
In the past I used a program called DVD Shrink to rip my DVD's to the computer. It also decrypted the DRM. I still have that program's installer somewhere, but I believe the software is discontinued. Therefore, I am not sure if it will work for Blu-Ray discs.

I am helping a family member with his home theater setup and I want to rip his collection to his external hard drive.

There seem to many choices of software out there and I cannot find a comparison of them. Some of these programs cost money.

- Any DVD (paid)
- DVDFab (paid)
- MakeMKV (free)
- Handbrake (free)

What do these paid programs have over Handbrake? I am familiar with Handbrake and I know you can download a .dll to remove DRM.

I want to rip with good quality and a low file size. Handbrake high profile preset seems like it could do the job just fine.

Your opinion?

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
Makemkv doesn't reencode at all but that's what I use. I prefer having 1:1 rips

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I also use Makemkv to rip the disk. Then I use Handbrake to re-encode it to a smaller file size.
I use the h.264 codec for video and the AAC codec for the audio. Wrap it all up in an .mp4 container and its a win.

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
Rip the Movie with MakeMKV v1.8.5
Choose Your Resolution in Handbrake 0.9.9
Set Your Quality Settings and Encode

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
But why do two steps?

Handbrake high profile preset does exactly what bbhaag says.

h264 with AAC audio in an mp4 container.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
But why do two steps?

Handbrake high profile preset does exactly what bbhaag says.

h264 with AAC audio in an mp4 container.
I'm unfamiliar with the .dll file you mentioned above to remove drm using Handbrake. That's why I do a two step process. Makemkv first then Handbrake.

Claudius-07

Dec 4, 2009
For me it's faster to run MKV ripping from a DVD/BR 1:1 and THEN use Handbrake once the rip is on my hardrive or SSD drive. I just found it faster in the past in regards to ripping from the DVD/BR. It is one extra step that requires you to at one point come back to your computer yes. Maybe things have changed, my BR drive is one of the first one so there might be way better and faster ones that maybe just using handbrake with the dll makes no difference. Although I too have never used or even knew of the dll for handbrake.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Hmm kind of interesting. I didn't know about the open source decrypter and copying over the .dll was all that was needed for Handbrake.

I just tried this in Handbrake but I couldn't get it to work. It could be a problem on my end though. I use an older version(0.9.5)so it could be a compatibility problem or the disk I tried. I didn't fuss with it to long.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
It really depends on how serious you are and how much ripping you have to do. If it's just a few DVDS here and there and don't need to worry about re encoding then MakeMKV is a great choice. If this is a serious project, then it may be worth the investment to get a couple of DVD drives and cough up for AnyDVD HD. It is less likely to get stumped by any kind of DRM or copy protection and since it runs in the background you can just play with any DVD or BR like it wasn't protected at all. Just rip and encode at the same time with Handbrake or whatever. There's several different processes you could use.

stinger608

Mar 6, 2009
Hmm, now I am wondering something.

If a person uses Makemkv to rip a blue ray to the hard drive and Handbrake to make the file smaller, can it be burnt to another blue ray disk after the file is smaller?

Reason I ask, is I have a blue ray disk that is over the 25gb capacity of a single blue ray disk. I don't want to have to purchase the dang high capacity blue ray disks just to back up this concert.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Hmm, now I am wondering something.

Reason I ask, is I have a blue ray disk that is over the 25gb capacity of a single blue ray disk. I don't want to have to purchase the dang high capacity blue ray disks just to back up this concert.

I use DVDFab to reencode blurays from 50gb to 25gb. Takes 2-3 hours with my current system. Another nice program would be BDRebuilder, but its only useful if you already have a ripped copy (no copy protection) of the bluray in your hard drive. AnyDVD HD would be best to make a copy but doesn't have a resize capability.

stinger608

Mar 6, 2009
I use DVDFab to reencode blurays from 50gb to 25gb. Takes 2-3 hours with my current system. Another nice program would be BDRebuilder, but its only useful if you already have a ripped copy (no copy protection) of the bluray in your hard drive. AnyDVD HD would be best to make a copy but doesn't have a resize capability.

I have DVDFab 9 and I am not seeing how to resize the BR. Am I missing something?

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
I have DVDFab 9 and I am not seeing how to resize the BR. Am I missing something?

There's a bottom left window to choose the Output either bd50 or bd25.

DVDFab-Blu-ray-Copy_1.png

Last edited:

geekbear

Nov 4, 2013
freemake or freestudio is also wildly used. (both are freeware, but be careful of their toobars)

stinger608

Mar 6, 2009
There's a bottom left window to choose the Output either bd50 or bd25.

DVDFab-Blu-ray-Copy_1.png

Holy crap, I will have to check that out!!!! Thanks a ton Skorpio!

EDIT: Worked perfect!! Thanks a ton again Skorpio for pointing that out man!!!

Last edited:

Kerry56

Oct 16, 2004
AnyDVD HD for decrypting dvds and blu ray. It consistently gives fewer problems when working with the files than any other decryption program. That said, MakeMKV is generally pretty good, and is free to use for both dvds and blu ray while it is still in beta. MakeMKV will give you mkv files when ripping dvds or blu ray, but in Backup mode can also give you the entire blu ray in file format.

BD Rebuilder will give better results than DVDFab when compressing large blu ray to 25gb size. It is also light years ahead when compressing to fit a dvd or double layer dvd. BD Rebuilder can also convert to dvd-video from blu ray, and in this type of conversion it has no peers. BD Rebuilder is free, but has no decryption capability.

BD Rebuilder can take many types of input files and can output to H264 mkv or mp4 if you wish, but I prefer Handbrake or VidCoder when converting to those formats.

And if you are still compressing dvds and keeping them in dvd-video format, DVD Rebuilder will give better quality than any transcoder like Fab or DVD Shrink.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I installed Makemkv and it says Converting (ripping) but-ray is not free, its $50 after 30 days. Is there any totally free software out there?

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
You know..... I'm tired of this Blu-ray disc copy / rip non-sense. This is the future. I expect the film makers / studios to have blu-ray or any other HD contents downloadable, or send a tiny SD / picture card that holds 50GB storage. Remove all content protection non-sense and have them setup for simple drag-and-drop to your computer desktop.

It's too much work for me and I don't have time for this non-sense.... No more stupid media discs.... it's an ancient tech.

cheez

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I installed Makemkv and it says Converting (ripping) but-ray is not free, its $50 after 30 days. Is there any totally free software out there?

It's free as long the program is in beta. Typically, there's an update [which will refresh the beta key] or you get a new key from the forums to continue using it for free.

When the software is actually out of beta, I'll gladly pay the one-time price for it. It's served me incredibly well.

I should note that I've been using it for close to a year for free, and it's been around much longer than that.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I like no compression ISO format, DVDfab 8 used to do that for me, I do not have the buy-part of it, however found the free version of it "DVDFab HD Decrypter", its doing what I want it to do, happy for now. However I have a question, I am using VLC and it open the movie directly, no menu, is there another software/player (preferably Free) that shows the menu and everything like the stand alone players do?

Kerry56

Oct 16, 2004
I like no compression ISO format, DVDfab 8 used to do that for me, I do not have the buy-part of it, however found the free version of it "DVDFab HD Decrypter", its doing what I want it to do, happy for now. However I have a question, I am using VLC and it open the movie directly, no menu, is there another software/player (preferably Free) that shows the menu and everything like the stand alone players do?

None of the free players have great menu support. There are two that you can try with partial menu support for decrypted movies, VSO Media Player and DVDFab Media Player, though I'm not sure the free version of DVDFab Media Player includes menu playback.

The commercial players all work with the original discs, and some work with ripped files. But all of them now also have Cinavia detection built in. Those include Arcsoft TMT 6, PowerDVD 13, WinDVD 11.5 and the media player included in Nero.

I use an older version of Arcsoft TMT 5, released before Cinavia was added in, and refuse to update it. It is version 5.0.1.80, but is no longer available.

Last edited:

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
None of the free players have great menu support. There are two that you can try with partial menu support for decrypted movies, VSO Media Player and DVDFab Media Player, though I'm not sure the free version of DVDFab Media Player includes menu playback.

The commercial players all work with the original discs, and some work with ripped files. But all of them now also have Cinavia detection built in. Those include Arcsoft TMT 6, PowerDVD 13, WinDVD 11.5 and the media player included in Nero.

I use an older version of Arcsoft TMT 5, released before Cinavia was added in, and refuse to update it. It is version 5.0.1.80, but is no longer available.

Thanks for the info, very helpful, one more question, will be the commercial players play decrypted ISO loaded on Alcohol? I don't think there should be any issues but wondering if anybody tried it.
I wanted to buy the new Nero for a while now so I will probably go with that. Compared to PowerDVD or WinDVD, does Nero's player have all or almost all the options?

Kerry56

Oct 16, 2004
A mounted ISO should play ok in one of the latest releases of the commercial players, other than those movies that have Cinavia. And AnyDVD HD has a workaround for playing Cinavia infected files in the commercial players. That, however, is an ongoing game of cat and mouse, with the software authors changing their detection routines and Slysoft finding ways of breaking them.

I can't really tell you much about the Nero player. It is the one software player I haven't used. I very much prefer the playback from the Arcsoft program over most anything else, but dislike the changes they've made in the gui of TMT6. PowerDVD 13 is surprisingly good...I'm not a great fan of Cyberlink, but they've done a much better job with this player.

WinDVD 11.5 is made by sMedio, so it is different from previous editions. Though I've used it briefly, it didn't impress me much.

Last edited: