Best Reuben Place?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
A vegan reuben?

Might as well say you like vegan hamburgers. Or a vegan meat stick.

I have no idea what it was made out of. My guess is tempeh. It was the local health food store's top seller at lunch & was an in-house secret recipe. It wasn't even trying to be like a fake meat substitute either, it just tasted like a really awesome reuben. Wish I had the recipe for it!

They do make a lot of really interesting meat substitutes. For example, Beyond Meat has chicken & ground beef, including a burger that "bleeds" (beet juice, I believe). I've tried their grilled chicken strips & they are shockingly close to real meat:

http://beyondmeat.com/

Vegan bacon using rice paper is a fairly recent recipe, something to look at if you're watching your cholesterol:

http://www.sweetasvegan.com/mmmmmm-v-acon-vegan-bacon-experiment/

KFC-style drumsticks using jackfruit & cauliflower is a recent invention:

http://www.zaccharybird.com/cfc-drumsticks/

You can even clone hardboiled eggs:

http://mouthwateringvegan.com/2015/04/22/the-ultimate-genius-vegan-eggs/

Personally, I don't really care as long as it tastes good :D

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
you son of a bitch, this pastrami was shit. bread & pickles were good though.

lesson learned: never listen to a guy that doesn't like mayo

40D7DE0C-07CC-4D5E-879A-06BA73BC7BE7_zpsa2xzvz3i.jpg

34D5AA94-B62F-4476-8C0B-2486872FD092_zpsvrct5rgy.jpg
Mayo on pastrami is like me going into a Chinese restaurant and telling the server I must have ketchup to put on the dim sum.

Deli mustard. Say it 20 times and repeat, until you learn.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Mayo on pastrami is like me going into a Chinese restaurant and telling the server I must have ketchup to put on the dim sum.

Deli mustard. Say it 20 times and repeat, until you learn.

the two points weren't related - don't trust zinfamous for food advice cuz he doesn't like mayo. mustard would not have saved that corned beef pastrami either.

and yes, mayo on pastrami is WTF.

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
the two points weren't related - don't trust zinfamous for food advice cuz he doesn't like mayo. mustard would not have saved that corned beef pastrami either.

and yes, mayo on pastrami is WTF.
Maybe my comment was out of context. I am late on this thread and didn't see the offending food advice.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
It was always very popular, and I never understood why. People would drive from other towns just to eat here...sometimes other nearby states. I soon learned that it was a very popular vegan place. Still, I was confused. My trained vegetarian cousin visited one time and we went there...the broth I ordered was awful. Completely bland and flavorless. Whatever she ordered was likewise awful (according to her). Her husband's dish is awful.

So, I don't get it. I just chalked it up to most vegetarians simply have trained themselves to tolerate and even love bland, boring food.

See, that's weird, because in my experience, vegan food is packed to the gills with flavor. I've taken raw "cooking" classes & it's been some of the best, most flavorful food I've ever had. I'm an omnivore, but enjoy eating anything tasty. Serious Eats has compiled a list of pretty yummy no-meat recipes:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/...-salads-breakfasts-sandwiches-appetizers.html

I'm not anti-meat by any means, but hey, the more veggies the better, right? The only way I used to get vegetables in my diet was on a Whopper with onions & tomato slices :D

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
or I can just eat meat. (see sig)

Food & the impact it has on your body is really interesting. I've tried a lot of different eating patterns over the years...I think the fruit-based diet has been the most energy-producing one I've tried, whereas vegan/raw vegan makes you feel really lightweight & not bogged down at all (if you're into doing stuff like road cycling, it makes a BIG difference), but man, eating meat, especially red meat like a steak, makes you feel sooooo good. Sometimes I get swamped at work & skip breakfast & lunch...if I simply cook up a steak at the end of the day & eat it, it's like instant happiness for my body. B12 & protein = makes you feel at one with the universe again :D

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Food & the impact it has on your body is really interesting. I've tried a lot of different eating patterns over the years...I think the fruit-based diet has been the most energy-producing one I've tried, whereas vegan/raw vegan makes you feel really lightweight & not bogged down at all (if you're into doing stuff like road cycling, it makes a BIG difference), but man, eating meat, especially red meat like a steak, makes you feel sooooo good. Sometimes I get swamped at work & skip breakfast & lunch...if I simply cook up a steak at the end of the day & eat it, it's like instant happiness for my body. B12 & protein = makes you feel at one with the universe again :D

but....have you tried the bull penis diet?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
As for the previous issue concerning Koreans:
The Koreans we had at Hynix actually preferred Chinese food, surprisingly.