Best racing game in History: FIGHT

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

El Guaraguao

Diamond Member
May 7, 2008
PSD3D005.jpg

After finding out how to hybrid in GT2, it became one of my favorite racers of all time.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Another vote for NFS Porsche Unleashed. I'm not a hard core racing fanatic by any means and my skills are too poor for a truly realistic racing game (way too frustrating). Porsche Unleashed provides me with a perfect compromise between arcade style racing and realism. And it's simply beautiful (and the graphics have held up well over the years).

It also helps that I really like Porsches.

It has been approx 10 years since I last played it, but agree. It also had a great layout(I would say Storyline, but that would be inaccurate). The way the game starts in the 50's and goes through the decades with each car having its' own unique characteristics was just very satisfying and challenging.

God Mode

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2005
GT2 solely due to hybrids. Every racing game since then seem bland and lacking substance.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
The original NFS is what got me into racing games to begin with. NFS II SE however was one of the reasons I bought a Voodoo II and it was the first game that introduced me to the power of GLIDE and what really sparked my interest in PC Gaming hardware. Both have a special place in my heart.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I usually don't like racing games unless it's themed, colorful, has a "special" flavor to it, involves crazy physics and/or allows me to crash my cars (and gain points by doing so) or shoot missiles at my opponents, or something along the lines of "doing something else other than just following the track".

I like them when it's sort of action-oriented too (doesn't need to have weapons on the vehicles for that), has exaggerated tracks, impossible curves only drivable by a futuristic car or has some sky-crapper-high jumps and makes your car (or jet, or vehicle, whichever) race through water or magma falls for a split second that sends goosebumps in your stomach, along with some other arcade-style conditions here and there. Generally speaking I don't enjoy the likes of Grand Turismo and so on, those I find terribly boring (I refer to those as "normal" racing games).

The ones I liked over the years (decades) are...

º Mario Kart (series), particularly the N64 and Wii versions (SNES one is always classic)
º San Francisco Rush: ER (Arcades) and 2049 (Arcades or Dreamcast)
º Hydro Thunder (Arcades or Dreamcast), and H2Overdrive (Arcades)
º Wave Race 64 (water effects that still hold their ground to this day, amazing)
º Wipeout (series), original, XL and N64 versions in particular
º FlatOut 1 & 2
º Stunt Race FX (SNES), very difficult to enjoy today (runs very slowly) but was very fun back then, it's lighthearted and the music was (still is) memorable
º Star Wars: Episode I - Racer
º Extreme-G (original, specifically) and Extreme-G 3 (PS2), disliked Extreme-G 2
º Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

º One of the Need for Speed on the PS1, can't recall which one but you had to race as well as escape from pursuing police cars (it's not the latest one released in 2010 or recently, that one I've seen and it's cool I guess but I'm referring to the one on the original PlayStation). I admit though I haven't played most of the NFS games in the entire series, but out of the ones I know I've played those "hot pursuit" type ones were enjoyable enough.

º Speed Devils (Dreamcast), enjoyed it a lot back then especially on-line, although I've played it again about two or three years ago and did not enjoy it as much as I used to, but still has some charm (seemed way more bland and cheesy than what I recalled, but I really did like it a lot during the Dreamcast days).

º Daytona USA (Arcades or Dreamcast), probably the sole exception of a "normal" racing game I actually enjoyed, but I think that was due to the Arcades version being so "in your face" obvious with convincing and loud audio and rumbling seats and so on, plus the visuals at the time were superb (not sure if I would still enjoy it today, haven't played it since I rented the Dreamcast version back in early 2000 or around that time)

º Sega Rally Championship and SG2 (Arcades), same as above for Daytona USA, I think I enjoyed them due to their arcades versions having an impact on my perception of racing games at the time (which, back then, I never enjoyed at all lest for the likes of Mario Kart).

And a few others I'm sure I'm not thinking of right now but yeah, you get the idea of the type of racing games I like. And out of those I mentioned I would easily place the Mario Kart series first on the podium (not one in particular, just all of them, but I guess I'd pick the Wii version since it's the latest I've really enjoyed).

Last edited:

LightPattern

Feb 18, 2013
Top SNES props to:

Mario Kart, SNES
&

Honorable mention - Top Gear 3000. With it's overly epic descriptions of the importance of the race!
The Galactic Conglomerate of Unified Planets, controlling the Bureau of Reasonable Entertainment, has maintained an era of calm and peaceful co-existence through the systematic suppression of any radical thought or action that may "stir up" the teeming masses of citizens populating the twelve Star Systems under their jurisdiction.
In other words, anything remotely resembling "fun" has been analyzed, sterilized, sanitized, homogenized, pasteurized, desensitized, computerized and commercialized "for your safety."
This race is the way to challenge that!
/epicness

(And the only game to use the SNES DSP-4 enhancement chip o_O)

acx

Jan 26, 2001
I usually don't like racing games unless it's themed, colorful, has a "special" flavor to it, involves crazy physics and/or allows me to crash my cars (and gain points by doing so) or shoot missiles at my opponents, or something along the lines of "doing something else other than just following the track".

Ever played the original Deathtrack from 1989?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Moto Racer (BMG Version) Was awesome! I was working at BMG at the time and it was by far the best motorcycle racing game ever. Then after we finished the game program BMG sold off the rights.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Moto Racer (BMG Version) Was awesome! I was working at BMG at the time and it was by far the best motorcycle racing game ever. Then after we finished the game program BMG sold off the rights.

Motoracer came with the first PC I ever bought, a Compaq 1235 presario. What a game that was. Unbelievably, it ran very smoothly on a laptop with no dedicated GPU. It only had a AMDk26 with "3dnow!".

The subsequent Motoracers were pretty disappointing.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Wish there were more hardcore sims these days... :(

Ya, seems like a labor of love small market... There used to be a lot more of them, remember the Jane's series for one.

Same with wargames, Gary Grigsby just released a new one but there isn't any attention for it I've seen.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Excite Bike was probably the most enjoyable racing game I played at the time it came out. As it is now, the last one I played was Grand Turismo 2, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
NFS: Underground 2, Gran Turismo 3. Currently playing Grid 2 and its pretty good

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I think it could be argued that Gran Turismo was the "best" of all time because of how revolutionary it was. It was the first big console racer to push the line towards sim and away from arcade and still have mass appeal because of how well it was executed.

fixxor

Aug 15, 2010
Here is a list of games I enjoyed back in the day. Hard to say which one was the best though. Hopefully I get the games on the right platform.

NES:
Excite Bike
Rad Racer
RC Pro-AM
Super Off-Road

Sega Genesis:
Road Rash (Oh man, if you never played this you missed out)

Dreamcast:
Speed Devils

PS1:
Gran Turismo (Amazing, way ahead of its time)
Rally Cross (Loved this game, physics were very good at the time)
Rally Cross 2 (Was pretty good)
NFS:HP (Many hours logged on this game)
Test Drive (Many hours also)
Jet Moto (Break away from the norm, this game was awesome)
Destruction Derby (This game was pretty simple but still spent hours playing it)

PS2:
ATV Off-Road Fury

PS3:
Motostorm
Baja: Edge Of Control (Big offroad racer/fan here so this game was amazing. Nothing comes close)

PC:
Carmageddon 1/2
Monster Truck Madness
Motocross Madness 1/2
4x4 Evolution 1/2
Flatout 1/2
Richard Burns Rally
Midnight Club 2
NFS: Porsche Unleashed

Might have missed some. Man that brings back memories.