Best racing game in History: FIGHT

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
carmeggedon 2 :)

dark horse candidate - interstate 76?

Last edited:

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
NFS Porsche Unleashed

I learned early on in the game that if you wrecked the car, and at the end of the race fixed everything but the body, the car would eventually take less and less damage to the drivetrain when wrecked. I also liked how when you sold the car you got all of your money back out of mods. I usually ended up buying tons of cars in the first era and doing nothing with them until era 3.

Last edited:

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Cool to see all the votes for NFS: PU, its also one of my all time favorites

The whole starting in the 50s and going up from there was so well done, it had pretty much everything I want in a racing game other than brand variety :p (but Porsche is great so whatever)

Of course, its impossible not to mention Gran Turismo... Im still waiting for the day something like that will be released for the PC, it was just so massive in every way, pretty much the ultimate racing game

And another personal favorite is CMR 4 (although 2.0 is generally considered the best), its the only racing game Ive ever played "seriously", as in constantly trying to perfect every course, because they were all so much fun... Nowadays I just go through the career mode once and get too bored to do it again

syd2oo2

Jun 1, 2013
Non-sim games, it would probably be NFS: PU for me as well.
But I'm more into sim-racing, so it would be GRAND Prix Legends. It was released in 1998, but once you install all graphical enhancements it still looks amazing, especially cockpits.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Well, the title of the thread says to fight so I'll jab.

I thought NFS: PU was a let down from NFS:High Stakes. I know they tried a more realistic physics engine, but for me the fun factor decreased significantly. I didn't even finish the career, a rarity for me in racing games.

If you loved NFS:HP the porting of tracks into High Stakes was such a huge bonus. Overall I thought the collection of tracks in HS was the best of it's time.

The damage modeling, and the way it affected your car, also seemed superior to me in High Stakes.

marcplante

Mar 17, 2005
GTR2 from Simbin. I love all of the tracks that people have ported from different sims. I can drive most of the tracks I take my car to. We're skipping one of the heavy hitters in this category iRacing, though i don't want to pay a subscription to drive. Their track modeling and physics are awesome. Then again, I want a Sim, not an arcade game when I drive.

YMMV (or course)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I spent $30 on Grand Prix Legends when it came out before finding out it was a 'hardcore sim', and never installed it.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I'm surprised to see so many votes for Gran Turismo and almost none for Shift2:Unleashed. IMO it's better than GT (with the handling mini-mod) and has a better in-car view.

With the same developer working on Project C.A.R.S., I'm pretty excited at where it's going to go.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Wow!
I seriously didn't know racing games garnered this much respect in the gaming community.

I posted earlier that i loved the original NFS on the 3D0.
But others have also reminded me of a few more racing games that stand out heads and shoulders above the rest.

So here is a list of racing games I believe truly are standouts.

Note: these are in no particular order since they are all great!
As most, i wish we could just get remakes with updated graphics for these.

1: Road & Track Presents the Need For Speed. (3D0)
Video

2: Road Rash (genesis)
Video

3: NFS High Stakes
Video

4: NFS Porsche Unleashed
Video

5: Nascar Racing 2003
Video

6: Gran Turismo (original & GT 3)
Video 1
Video 3

7: Ridge Racer (original)
Video

8: Burnout 3
Video

9: NFS Most Wanted
Video

10 : Grid
Video

11: Moto Racer
Video

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Since we're going way back and into console land as well I should nominate F1 1998 for PS1.

Not only was it wildly entertaining (for the pure fun factor hasn't been matched in any F1 game since for me), but it also has the awesome feature of allowing you to shorten races while keeping strategy intact.

For ex. - if you ran a 20 lap race while the real distance is 60 laps you're fuel and tires would get used up three times faster, forcing you to use the same pit strategy as if you were running the full length race.

If you were on a single stop and drove well you could squeeze out an extra lap or two, pit on lap twelve and take in less fuel, making your car lighter and faster when you came back out. If you weren't careful and got into a lot of messy driving you're tires would give out early forcing you to pit early and sweat out the rest of the race.

I lost plenty of races because my tires gave out on the last lap. Frustrating, but rewarding.

I have not come across a single F1 game since then that implemented this feature so elegantly (iirc they botched it in the 1999 version).

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I'm surprised to see so many votes for Gran Turismo and almost none for Shift2:Unleashed. IMO it's better than GT (with the handling mini-mod) and has a better in-car view.

With the same developer working on Project C.A.R.S., I'm pretty excited at where it's going to go.

I think the main reason I chose GT is that it came out in 1997. There was nothing else like it. It was a car nerds wet dream in terms of the technical upgrades for the cars and the adjustability on top of an immense amount of vehicles available including exotic cars that never existed in the U.S.. On the other side of the coin they kept the racing fairly arcade like which kept it from becoming a chore.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
I spent a ton of time on the original GT. It was like a carpg. Up all night doing license tests, lol.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Dark horse, Star Wars: Episode 1 - Racer. Also one of the best movie based games. I jumped in late to the N64 party and it was my pack-in game. Played it to death. Still my favourite. Just a great anti-gravity racer. Right up there with Wipeout IMO. Only good thing to come out of that stink pile of a movie.

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
NFS Porsche unleashed for me, hands down.

Another vote for NFS Porsche Unleashed. I'm not a hard core racing fanatic by any means and my skills are too poor for a truly realistic racing game (way too frustrating). Porsche Unleashed provides me with a perfect compromise between arcade style racing and realism. And it's simply beautiful (and the graphics have held up well over the years).

It also helps that I really like Porsches.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Boy, favorite... I think hours wise I played the most Burnout Paradise, but a list of my favorites:

Jet Moto 1 & 2
Waverace (the stunts did me in, ok??)
Mariokart & Mariokart 64
Burnout 3 which lead me to play Burnout Revenge & Paradise
Top Gear 1 & 2
Cruisin' USA (stunt tracks mainly)
Hydro Thunder (played lots of this at the arcade & DC)
Wipeout 64
1080 Snowboarding (N64 - I did like stunts the most but did all the races)

That's the ones I tried and kept me playing. I did play a good fair share of Banjo Kazooie but I liked it for the challenges, not so much the races.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I never played many racing games, but I gotta say I had a ton of fun playing Burnout Takedown back on the Xbox. So Burnout gets my vote for actually keeping my attention as a 'racing' game of sorts :p

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Road Rash. Pick any of them. Beating people with sledge hammers and tasers while riding on a motorcycle = endless hours of fun, especially with friends and alcohol.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Outrun-Salida.jpg