Best PC only games that are made for high end gear?

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I was wondering... What is the best modern games for the best experience for physics and resolution that is pushing a high end 1080Ti card?

I'm not talking about games that have been made for consoles. But PC only games? I'm kinda thinking that most players don't have the cash to drop on a modern 2~3K dollar system to play video games. So, the market would be slim.

I'm kinda wondering if the gaming market for the high end PC is getting squeezed out? It use to be back in the day, PC gaming was the best. Now, the gaming market money train seems to be geared toward consoles and the PC ports were just an afterthought. Prove me wrong.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Mods prove you wrong in the sense of which platform is best to play on, at least for Bethesda games.

For me it's the game play, story and art design over graphics. Graphics are nice, but I'd choose KOTOR 2 or Vampire TM: Bloodlines over Call of Shooty XV with Stubbleworks for wavy manfacehair.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
I'm kinda wondering if the gaming market for the high end PC is getting squeezed out? It use to be back in the day, PC gaming was the best. Now, the gaming market money train seems to be geared toward consoles and the PC ports were just an afterthought. Prove me wrong.
There's nothing to prove wrong as you already nailed it. Consoles typically make up 70-85% of AAA sales. PC gets the rest. Because of this, nearly all AAA games are cross-platform, designed around consoles and controllers (and low-mid PC equivalents) and as much as enthusiasts don't want to admit it, ever since the start of the consolization era "PC Master Race hardware" has been mostly about "extending the already pre-selected baseline" with cheap to implement stuff (running same content at higher resolutions & refresh rates, more post-process shaders / blur filters on Ultra, etc), not actual "PC exclusive" added content. A few games may have come with higher-res textures just for PC, but as far as complex physics / AI, level size, etc, no game dev is going to double their workload and make two different AI, larger levels, hire more voice actors to turn passive crowds into individually interactive NPC's, etc, just for the PC version, they'll simply create one "lowest common denominator" version and it'll always be watered down to what can be squeezed onto current console CPU's / fits the dev's budget & time constraints.

This has been true for +10-15 years now and you can go back and see Deux Ex: Invisible War or Thief: Deadly Shadows to see how crippled the PC versions were vs the original PC exclusive games even back in the early 2000's (eg, level sizes shrunk by 75% to fit XBox 64MB memory limit). It's always been console hardware that determines core game design, not UE4 tech demo's, "E3 bullshots" or xx80Ti 3DMark scores. The only thing likely to change this is a new generation of consoles with proper "big core" CPU's several years down the line. And even then game design will remain "shaped" for controllers plus the more recent unfortunate "industry priority" of stuffing MT's / pay2win / in-game purchase cr*p into everything.

As others have commented, PC is still the best platform overall for modding, having the largest total catalogue of new / old games with continuous compatibility stretching back 30 years, plus the Indie world outside the AAA bubble. Quite honestly, heavily modded Skyrim is still my first suggestion when someone with beefy hardware wants something on PC that the console equivalent doesn't come close to. Modders have always pushed hardware and games engines to their limits post-release far more than devs do with their official releases.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericlp

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
What a revelation that hasn't been discussed to death already for over a decade.

You want to push a 1080Ti? Game at 4K.

Reactions: pcslookout

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
STALKER: Call of Pripyat

Add Mods:
Absolute Nature 4
Atmosfear 3
Arsenal Overhaul

Run these mods on an SSD and at 4K.

There are several options for the nature mod so use the one with the greatest foliage.

Reactions: Anomaly1964

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Prove you wrong? The burden of proof lies on you to prove your point, not on us to prove you wrong. You've got your priorities mixed up. Then there's the stupid idea that some people immediately believe that high-end graphics and physics are the only things that make games great.

If you want to push your 1080Ti to it's limits, wait for Cyberpunk, max everything, and then push it to 4K.

Reactions: pcslookout

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Totally right. Almost everything is designed with consoles in mind first. Complexity and control scheme has to be compatible with controllers. What really kills me is on multi-player games pushing people into lobbies for match making rather than having a server browser. Simpler, but it absolutely kills communities. Server based multi player I could rely on playing against a set of regulars and eventually form friendships, join a clan, etc. The consolification gutted that social aspect. Doesn't help that a game like SWBF3 has a squad size of 2. That makes playing it with your clan and getting onto a server together challenging.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Don't the new Doom and Wolfenstein games sort of break this mold? They are out on consoles, but are also technically fantastic.

Reactions: ericlp

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Don't the new Doom and Wolfenstein games sort of break this mold? They are out on consoles, but are also technically fantastic.

They're good games, but they don't really do any PC specific stuff. Sims (not the sims) tend to be PC focused simply because the level of complexity needed. ARMA 3 for example is a PC first title (not sure its even on console). I know Divinity Original Sin 2 was developed as a PC first game. You can usually tell in RPGs by how many powers you can have up at once. Consoles limit it to the number of buttons. PC RPGs might have dozens.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

wolfenstein maybe... doom, no..

Doom has been extremely well optimized, it could run the game flawlessly on a mid grade gpu.

And now most AAA title games are poor console ports which makes me sad, because they are broken for high end pc's due to the respect for console makers to keep the playing field level.

However after a season, some dev's decide to release some high end graphic options, or some dev's also release a high res pack (FF15)

Also the only way you can truly enjoy some games is via player based MOD's, which are only available via PC.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Doom has been extremely well optimized, it could run the game flawlessly on a mid grade gpu.
There is not much going on in doom just as with mad max there is nothing that needs a lot of power so it runs well.

Wolfenstein you could run with a single render thread ,it passed so much workload over to the GPU.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
You have to wait for Metro Exodus, Cyberpunk 2077 and Star Citizen but who knows when they are coming out, so i think you spent your money too soon.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Oh yeah, Metro.

First time in my life I played a game that that was unplayable. I usually keep on the high end of gaming hardware but my system at the time couldn't handle it. Eventually I upgraded, reinstalled, and got better than 10 frames per second. It was nice.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Oh yeah, Metro.

First time in my life I played a game that that was unplayable. I usually keep on the high end of gaming hardware but my system at the time couldn't handle it. Eventually I upgraded, reinstalled, and got better than 10 frames per second. It was nice.

Yeah I remember trying the benchmark and getting super low FPS numbers. Not as low as you, but I didn't play it at launch...never knew about it. Perhaps when I did play it the hardware available was a generation or two newer, I don't remember specifically. When you run it today and push resolutions above 1080p you still get some minimums that dip down pretty low. I also remember playing Crysis 1 at ~20fps at 1280x1024 or something.

dzielo

May 11, 2018
EVE Online with 6 monitors need very high-end gear. I very like play pvp so why I even buy eve online isk because I do not waste time on farming ISK. You can also run EVE on one monitor but this gives very less piece of informations

Last edited:

FreshBross

Jul 30, 2018
Black Desert Online, a fantastic MMORPG that pushes your graphics card to its limits depending on the settings you use. The average computer can not run this game, but it is a enormous open world game with a never-ending amount of quests and others to do.