Best frozen pizza for the $

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
it's @brianmanahan's favorite

9fb.jpg

Well boneless pizza is much dryer than bone-in

Reactions: IronWing

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
i've been noting that papa johns costs the same now as it did when i was in high school 20 year ago. ofc, back then delivery was free. one of the cost cutting things PJ did was replace tomatoes with HFCS in the sauce. that stuff is way too sweet now.

Yeah, heck pizza from the chains are half the cost then they were 20 years ago depending on the deal.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
school pizza blows goats and browned cheese is delicious and most delivery pizza blows.

I would have ranked the school pizza I had better than Little Caesars. Little Caesars is better than most frozen pizzas.

Browned cheese is ok in small amounts, but that Jack's pizza is literally just browned cheese, much reduced sauce from moisture loss, and a cracker.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I don't really like frozen pizza but I would suggest that you avoid costco unless you can handle a couple times the daily allotment of sodium. This was maybe 3-4 years ago but given how popular their pizza is, I'm guessing no one really cares.

Reactions: JPS35
Mar 11, 2004
When I want a cheap frozen pizza, it's either Tony's or Tombstone when they are on sale (which one always is). Truthfully, I like those two brands better than DiGiorno pizzas.

Its been some time since I've had Tombstone, but yeah I prefer Tony's over most others. Its just the right size that it'll be very filling but won't make you completely hate yourself if you eat the whole thing in one sitting. Could stand to have a bit more cheese, but has enough pepperoni, and the crust is decent. Sauce doesn't bother me (I've gotten to where I don't like most pizza sauces).

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
I don't really like frozen pizza but I would suggest that you avoid costco unless you can handle a couple times the daily allotment of sodium. This was maybe 3-4 years ago but given how popular their pizza is, I'm guessing no one really cares.

That's how you make bad food palatable to the American public. Load it up with more salt than the Dead Sea or in the case of sweets, so much sugar that merely getting within 10 feet of it triggers diabetes.

I tried the Kirkland brand frozen pepperoni pizza and could barely choke it down. Same awful crust that could double as a paving stone as most other frozen pizzas and a complete lack of anything even resembling Italian flavor. It tasted like Franco-American Spaghetti-O's dumped on a piece of vinyl siding. Didn't taste like tomatoes, cheese, garlic, oregano or basil, the only real character was salt. I don't know if the food court stuff is any better, but judging from how people rave about it it HAS to be.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I don't know if the food court stuff is any better, but judging from how people rave about it it HAS to be.
I often wondered about that but for some reason, my assumption has always been that they really are the same. If you're really curious, I'm sure someone there would tell you if you asked.

It's just that if your memory is a bit squishy like mine, you'll plan to ask someday, but plain up and forget - over and over. :)

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
This is my current favorite:

View attachment 15535

It's not cheap at $7.99 MSRP but it comes in it's own baking pan and tastes almost identical to a pizza chain's deep dish....and lot's of cheese!

I have the reg ones in my freezer in fact but i need to try this. I went for the stuff crust cheese a bit ago and while smaller i thought the premium for it was WELL worth it.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Costco has three different pizzas that I know of with their branding:
They have Kirkland frozen pizzas, which are their generic DiGiorno/Freschetta type ones. I've never tried these.
They have Kirkland/Costco take and bake pizzas, which are sooooooo gross. Avoid these at all costs.
Finally there's their food court pizza, which they sell by the slice and by the pie. This is actually pretty good pizza and for $10 for a whole one it's one of the best pizza values around.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
I'm kinda partial to Mama Cozzi's (sp). I get 'em at Aldi, then toss some garlic powder, chopped onion, banana pepper and Texas Pete before it goes in the oven.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I tried several brand names of frozen pizza and none of them were that great. Some were ok but nothing to write home about.