Best Combat Flight Sim?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I've enjoyed MS Flight Sim X for some time now, now I'm looking to transition. However, most of the combat flight sims I've been able to find either suck or focus on WWII/Prop aircraft. While I can definitely see the fun in this, I'd also like to be able to go supersonic and shoot missiles.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Lock-On is pretty much all that's available right now. Sadly so few of us buy these games they just aren't made anymore.

You get a diverse set of aircraft: A-10, F-15, SU-33, SU-27, Mig-29, SU-25/25T

I was hardcore into it for a couple years but haven't played in a while.

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
I tried playing LO:MAC way back in the day...hated how hard it was.

I decided to give it another chance last week. I still suck as hard now as I did back then. I miss the games from Jane's so much.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: ZappDogg
I tried playing LO:MAC way back in the day...hated how hard it was.

I decided to give it another chance last week. I still suck as hard now as I did back then. I miss the games from Jane's so much.

You have to dedicate yourself to learning the controls and then it's extremely satisfying to drop bombs and so forth. The tutorials help a little but there are some really nice user made manuals out there that explain every bit of everything you ever wanted to know.

Something else that helped me is getting a decent HOTAS, with my X-52 I could map Air/Nav/Ground keys to different profiles and basically never had to use the keyboard for anything.

It's not as arcdey as the Jane's games, which I liked, a lot.

I would really like another Lock-On to be made, with the most up to date planes, Super Hornet, F-35, F-22, F-15E.

That would really be awesome.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I still play F22 Lightning 3. Love the nukes. Seems like this genre has been asleep too long.