Best Buy should just close...

Art&Science

Nov 28, 2014
Remember how cool Best Buy was in the 90s and 2000s?

I went in yesterday looking for a Roku... it looked like a Radio Shack - it was DEAD. The entire front section was cell phones. The section which *used* to have Roku, Chromcast, etc, etc was empty... a BB employee said they weren't carrying those anymore.

It was depressing. I made a small tour, saw an RGB-VGA cable for $39. LOL.

Just die Best Buy.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Once in a while, BB does have some good sale. Last month I purchased a HP brand 27" ISP LCD screen for my desktop computer. Price was $150 plus sale tax, cheapest price even comparing to online sites.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I've noticed that there's a bigger disparity in locations than you'd expect for a large chain like that. There's definitely some terrible best buys out there, but they aren't all like that. I've done a lot more shopping at BB since they've started price matching amazon without issue, and I know their gamer's club unlocked breathed a little life into them.

I am surprised how terrible the home theater section is in several of the ones I've visited recently. Home theater stuff is one of the few things I'd like to demo in person that I wouldn't trust just buying blindly online, and they aren't even trying to upkeep that one section of their store that has a leg up over shopping online.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Remember how cool Best Buy was in the 90s and 2000s?

I went in yesterday looking for a Roku... it looked like a Radio Shack - it was DEAD. The entire front section was cell phones. The section which *used* to have Roku, Chromcast, etc, etc was empty... a BB employee said they weren't carrying those anymore.

It was depressing. I made a small tour, saw an RGB-VGA cable for $39. LOL.

Just die Best Buy.

I actually have the opposite opinion. In the late 90s and early 2000s I used to routinely call best buy "worst buy," well, because it was. Now that they price match most major online retailers, I will routinely go there to pick something up rather than wait a couple of days to have it shipped to me.

That said, I still wouldn't buy computer components there, and there are still a number of items in the store that are massively overpriced. But the latter point could be made of any store, online or B&M.

Also - the best buy near me is routinely packed.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
As long as they carry top notch stuff like Bose, Beats and Monster Cable, they will be the go to place for morons.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I love Best Buy. Gamers Club unlocked saves you 20% off all new games. It pays for itself in no time at all, all the better when you're racking up points for purchases and getting in on the $10 preorder bonuses. Coupled with power rewards at Gamestop you can get your gaming software practically for free by leveraging trade in promotions and flips.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I've been going to best buy more often nowadays.
Their web prices can be pretty good and they match in store.

I have picked up a few items where the OTD price at best buy beat out buying online.

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
I'm not of fan of BB but it's a huge presence in a lot of malls and if it goes the surrounding mall starts to go and looks like a ghost town. I saw it with a few montgomery wards, jc penny etc that used to be around. I want them stay around for the jobs and for the community.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Best Buy earned my trust back. The stores around me are very nice and usually crowded.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Pretty good experiences there lately buying a Roku stick and Lumia 640's for cheap. Cant see how they can maintain the staff and property on that meager profit though. I do the internet order/pickup to minimize interaction with workers that know nothing about the product they are selling.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I am constantly buying stuff from Best Buy. I have been an Elite member three years running. Best Buy is magical because they will Price Match Amazon and then add reward points back on top. Plus they give you reward points for reviews, which is sweetens the deal.

Just this month I have bought a PSU from there cheaper than anywhere online, a Chromecast Audio for $5 off regular price, and a pricematched GPU that I then stacked all my rewards from reviews on top to make it even cheaper.

You just have to know how to play the "Lets Drive Best Buy into Bankruptcy" game properly.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Best Buy doesn't typically have anything I want to buy. Selection is too limited.
I always assume they don't stock the model I'm interested in.
But then our local BB store is pretty small.

They should mainly stock stuff people need hands-on: monitors, keyboards, mice, phones, speakers, etc.

I was in a Dallas Fry's a week ago and they had the USB flash drive I wanted for $60. Trouble is, my online source says it's only worth $33 - so Hello Amazon.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
a BB employee said they weren't carrying those anymore.

Interesting because all the stores in that area show the new Roku 4K model in stock. It is surprising someone as obviously technically sophisticated as yourself didn't order it online for store pickup. Your problem would have been solved.

Of course this assumes the story you presented is accurate and you aren't just some wack-a-doodle with a axe to grind with Best Buy…but what are the odds of that? :D

-KeithP

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I hardly ever go there but the last two Best Buys I've been to (Ann Arbor and Novi, MI) have been busy and well-stocked. That said, I think normally they're pretty expensive so I don't go there unless there's something particular I need and don't wanna wait to order it online and get it shipped.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I have 3 Best Buys I frequent. The one in Corpus Christi, the one in Midland, and the one about two miles up the street from my house. All 3 are very nice, brightly lit with tons of staff and tons of stock.

With Best Buy being fairly competitive with various online places (and price matching them!) most of the time, the difference comes down to shipping cost or convenience. For example, this same GTX970 is $279 two miles away. With taxes, it's about $300. It's worth the extra $20 to not have to wait. It's not even worth doing a price match over $10.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
The only reason I go there is if I need something and don't have time to order off Amazon.

Last time I went in I did notice their music and movie selection has markedly improved. A few years ago they had maybe a couple racks of each.

Nov 29, 2006
I'm lazy with Amazon Prime. I think ive been inside a BB like twice in 5 years and it was only cause i was killing time for whatever reason. I prefer to have it shipped to my house in 2 days vs. dealing with them to price match Amazon.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Their tv, laptop, and cell phone sections still get plenty of foot traffic from what I've seen. Maybe people are just trying before they buy online... can't tell for sure. I've seen their cellphone lines go pretty long though, as in people activating, etc.

At least their online presence is doing ok too. They have their purpose, but I'm not quite sure how they're staying afloat.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I hardly ever go there but the last two Best Buys I've been to (Ann Arbor and Novi, MI) have been busy and well-stocked. That said, I think normally they're pretty expensive so I don't go there unless there's something particular I need and don't wanna wait to order it online and get it shipped.

That's the thing though, it doesn't matter how expensive they are normally as long as Amazon's price is what you're looking for. As long as it's sold by amazon, it's a very easy price match at the register. I think that's the best move they've made in a long time.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Got our washer and dryer there. Had the best policies with install and haul away. They price match now so I've bought a few things I need right now from them like power supplies when mine died. Still generally would rather order online and have stuff just show up at my door though. Can't be bothered to drive to a brick and mortar store and deal with poor selection and wasting time getting there.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I'm lazy with Amazon Prime. I think ive been inside a BB like twice in 5 years and it was only cause i was killing time for whatever reason. I prefer to have it shipped to my house in 2 days vs. dealing with them to price match Amazon.

There's nothing to deal with... show them your phone on the amazon page and they adjust the price to what's shown. No getting a manager, every person at the register has authority to do it.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
went into one the other day and it looked like a lot of brand showcases. very weird experience from the old rows of CDs and DVDs that it was in the late 90s and early 2000s.

their return policy blows, though.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I got a TV from them earlier this year, I felt more comfortable about having it delivered from a local store versus traveling through FedEx/UPS. And it was on sale for a competitive price.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
They are hit or miss.

Sadly buying at the store is nearly impossible for some items.

3 stores here:

1. New Neighborhood mediocre store.
2. Older Neighborhood pretty good store.
3. Oldest Neighborhood lousy store.

They only item that BB does well is HDTV selection.