Best Buy should just close...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
That's the thing though, it doesn't matter how expensive they are normally as long as Amazon's price is what you're looking for. As long as it's sold by amazon, it's a very easy price match at the register. I think that's the best move they've made in a long time.

I didn't even realize they did that. Shows ya how much I go there. That's good to know though. I'd actually use it if it's easy and you don't gotta do a bunch of bullshit to get it.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
There's nothing to deal with... show them your phone on the amazon page and they adjust the price to what's shown. No getting a manager, every person at the register has authority to do it.

Yup, they also Pricematch Newegg and B&H. When I need something in a pinch it is usually cheaper than Best Buy on one of those sites, so you get a good price and immediacy.

The big exception is GPUs, a lot of them are Best Buy specific models (that looks exactly like the Newegg model).

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I love Best Buy! It's my go to place for electronics. I can check out products in person and then buy them online for a better price.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
HQ8cYe2.gif

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Yup, they also Pricematch Newegg and B&H. When I need something in a pinch it is usually cheaper than Best Buy on one of those sites, so you get a good price and immediacy.

The big exception is GPUs, a lot of them are Best Buy specific models (that looks exactly like the Newegg model).

Do they price match sales like Newegg Shellshockers / Amazon Gold Box or just regular prices?

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
If the Best Buys ever closed down in Anchorage, AK, I would probably seriously reconsider moving back to the lower 48. There just isn't anything else here for electronics when I need something right now at a reasonable price or get hands-on experience for something I've got an interest in.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I would still feel more comfortable buying a large item like a TV locally. Definitely want to see it in person first and then would try and price match.

Haven't actually been in a Best Buy in years but there is one pretty close and I drive by it a few times a month, just never stop. Always see a line of people going in and out.

We have an HHGregg down the street from the Best Buy and that place seems to be very poorly run.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
It's basically a showroom now. Hard to compete against Amazon.

They price match Amazon, you do know that right? They're also pretty competitive on pricing already. In fact, I just recently bought a Bluetooth speaker at Best Buy for $116 + tax, that would have cost me MORE on Amazon: $116 + tax + shipping + waiting.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
If the Best Buys ever closed down in Anchorage, AK, I would probably seriously reconsider moving back to the lower 48. There just isn't anything else here for electronics when I need something right now at a reasonable price or get hands-on experience for something I've got an interest in.

Quick Q: Does the government still give the people of Alaska an annual check? It's like oil money, isn't it?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Nef

Actually, the last time I went in a BB it was pretty dead here.

Was a couple months ago, and hadn't been in it in years.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I've been once in the last half-decade or so, to buy a cable modem. They happily price matched it, which was nice, as I had internet that night instead of in 2-8 days.

Dunno how long they can maintain a 'price match amazon/newegg' business model, though. I suspect they'll be the last holdout for home electronic stores.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I went there in the last year for the first time in over ten years, and couldn't believe how lame it was. Cell phones and crap was all they had. I discovered a Microcenter ~20 miles from me, and that's like a wonderland. Easily worth the drive compared to the BB less than three miles from my house.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
They price match Amazon, you do know that right? They're also pretty competitive on pricing already. In fact, I just recently bought a Bluetooth speaker at Best Buy for $116 + tax, that would have cost me MORE on Amazon: $116 + tax + shipping + waiting.

No Prime? Peasant.

Art&Science

Nov 28, 2014
Interesting because all the stores in that area show the new Roku 4K model in stock. It is surprising someone as obviously technically sophisticated as yourself didn't order it online for store pickup. Your problem would have been solved.

Of course this assumes the story you presented is accurate and you aren't just some wack-a-doodle with a axe to grind with Best Buy…but what are the odds of that? :D

-KeithP

Of course I ordered mine online (years ago). It wasn't for me, an elderly friend asked if I would go with them and of course I said yes. Jump to conclusions much?

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Yeah, it's really variable. The two closest BB's to me couldn't be more different. One seems like it perpetually in a state of "going out of business", while the other is well kept, well stocked and well visited.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I would still feel more comfortable buying a large item like a TV locally. Definitely want to see it in person first and then would try and price match.

Haven't actually been in a Best Buy in years but there is one pretty close and I drive by it a few times a month, just never stop. Always see a line of people going in and out.

We have an HHGregg down the street from the Best Buy and that place seems to be very poorly run.

HHGregg reminds me a lot of circuit city before they went belly up. I hadn't heard of them before I moved to Indiana, and it took a while before I even knew they were an electronics store (what a terrible name). So I finally went and it was terrible. All of their portable stuff (tablets, mp3 players, phones) were a generation old, with prices like new. The only area that seems like it might have been decent was appliances, but I've never been back. I'm surprised it's still there as the best buy that's the next street over is worlds better than the HHGregg.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
I personally like Best Buy, I just go in to browse or kill time frequently if the wife is shopping elsewhere. My biggest gripe with my local ones is they don't necessarily carry a lot the higher end stuff, say like m2 or 1tb ssds, 980ti or Fury, high end memory, etc. They frequently have really good pricing on impulse buy type items and they price match anyway. On the other hand, I still don't understand the obsession most here have with Amazon. Maybe it's just the items I'm interested in but Newegg is almost universally less expensive, has a better selection, more frequent stock and a far, far superior website. In fact I'll go as far as to say Amazon's site is as unorganized and non user friendly as I can imagine, it's just pure garbage. It makes me not want to buy there even when they have the best pricing.

Last edited: