Best Buy Reward Zone

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BeOmni

Feb 9, 2003
It was more of a joke -- you'd have to trade with someone you knew, so that you'd swap reward checks. Probably be more trouble than its worth.

The basic gist is that they mailed you the card, hence they now can track at least what your household purchases. I work at a fairly new catalog company, yet even I could mine down to a single households personal information, for a price. They then combine this information (perhaps even available through their own info from your BB credit card or warranty...) with this data they are now collecting on your purchases to track your shopping behavior.

All of this could loosely be grouped under Data Mining. At first glance, it doesn't sound all too important, but in today's business market, customer data is more valuable than gold. This leads to targetted marketing on a grand scale, which Best Buy can even combine with online behavior.

Normally, I don't mind giving up some of my privacy for money, but I like to avoid anything that can compare my online and offline behavior. Nevertheless, this isn't a clever gimmick to boost sales -- that's a side benefit. The real target is future sales, and if needbe, data they can sell to other companies. (I'm assuming it says so in the privacy contract, but I'm being pessimistic)

YaKuZa

Aug 26, 2000
I got a card and share it with everyone I know. Everyone borrows my card everytime they get something at BB. Then I get free stuff.

BeOmni

Feb 9, 2003
^ That's a good solution, as well. As long as you skew the data, it'll be filtered out as noise.

bickle

Nov 19, 2002
I bought a card on Sunday, and then got a free one today! *sigh* Oh well, it's still money well spent for me.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: bickle
I bought a card on Sunday, and then got a free one today! *sigh* Oh well, it's still money well spent for me.

You can return it (within 14 days I believe)...

exharr

Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: clarkmo
Originally posted by: Kevin
Originally posted by: clarkmo
$25 a year...%10 off at point of sale. I'll hold out for that. Best Buy would drive their competitors out of business with a card like that, and they'd sell at least 10,000 of them.

They'd drive themselves out of business. You have to understand how things are priced...

Now now, this is a savvy hot deals forum, and I got a clue about pricing.
My recent purchase Sony cdx-mp40 purchased from Best Buy.

BestBuy 188.89
Froogle $144.95 + up

Granted, it's an isolated case but it is by and large the usual case. They'd only apply the discount for card holders and generate many repeat sales away from internet and other retailers CC, etc.
There are a lot of things that go into retail sales. There are a lot of things where this card would kill them. There is virtually no profit on computers. A lot of times they sell computers at a loss. If they were to allow people an extra 10% off on whatever the sale is, they would get screwed.
Now your example is comparing something at a retail store to something at online stores. There is a huge difference in pricing. Online stores often save a lot of costs compared to retail stores.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
This is even cheaper:

Get a free subscription to Game Pro or Maxium magazine. They have $5 off BB coupons in them every other month. $5 off every $200 isn't really worth my time. I can get discounts like that elsewhere.

DestruyaUR

Jan 23, 2002
For the second time, it's not 5 off 200. 12,500/100 = 125. It's a 5 dollar certificate, not a gift card, good for only 90 days after date of issue for every 125 dollars spent. 75 bucks' difference, but still....

Power Perks, besides adding a bit more "Perks" (pun intended), just allows people to earn 20% more points per purchase, so PPerks members get a certificate on or around every 105 bucks.

I recieved the 20 dollar giftcard letter and was able to cash in, but that was way back in the middle of May and it was attached to the Power Perks program.

Before you PM me: Power Perks is ONLY available at the Sterling, VA store (near Dulles Airport right off Rt. 28 for people close but who don't know where it is). It's a "beta test" program, a sort of Upgraded Upgraded (yes, I meant to type it twice) Reward Zone program that allows you to "beta test" new products and supposedly get neat access in places during concerts and whatnot. For such an "exclusive" program, they'll sign up anyone who asks.

The hottest deals in this lie in combining the certificates with coupons. For instance, utilizing either 15% off or $5 off game coupons, you can save 10-13.99 off sticker price on games ranging from 19.99 to 59.99.

Keeping in mind that just enrolling nets you 5,000 points. That means that on the new RZ program, to earn a 5 dollar certificate, you only have to spend 75 bucks in a year at Best Buy to earn the certificate. Chances are RZ works like PP in the way that they'll send you off-season coupons and whatnot that typically don't suck too badly.

In addition, I got two coupons recently (as in within the last month or so) for the Fair Lakes, VA store - one was a "Get a $20 GC when you spend $50" and the other was a cardboard version of the popular "15% off PC Software" coupon. So even if you never use the damn thing, it's worth it to activate it - you might get some decent coupons out of it, and face it, you WILL spend 75 bucks @ Best Buy in a year's timeframe.

So what if Big Brother is watching? I'd rather Best Buy know I'm a gamer than the T.I.A. program knowing that I periodically warez apps! :D

ChillyPenguin

Dec 20, 2001
Another limitation I dont think has been listed: At most 50% of any purchase can be those vouchers.

now, i'm not sure if you would be able to use one for an item that was priced $9.99 ($5 is more than 50% of this, as you know)

you also have to have you card with you to get points. no lookups.

chillypenguin

Runciter

Apr 26, 2002
Originally posted by: DestruyaUR
I recieved the 20 dollar giftcard letter and was able to cash in, but that was way back in the middle of May and it was attached to the Power Perks program.
Hmm, I got a letter to get the card in May or June too, but I dont' recall a $20 giftcard offer. Was that in the letter when you got the PP card? Or did you have to activate it to get it? To tell the truth I just skimmed the letter and never activated it.

The hottest deals in this lie in combining the certificates with coupons. For instance, utilizing either 15% off or $5 off game coupons, you can save 10-13.99 off sticker price on games ranging from 19.99 to 59.99.
What is this 15% off dealeo? Guess I should read that letter that came with the card! :)

Have you logged onto the PP site? I don't know my password, but their FAQ says:
What is my password?

It's your personal code that lets you access all member features of this site. Your password will be mailed to you in the welcome kit, usually within 2-3 weeks of enrollment.
Did you get a "kit"? Perhaps it hasn't come yet unless they are talking about the envelope that had the card and a letter...

DSchell

Jun 21, 2000
This question is for folks on the West Coast who have already been in this program for some time now...

Exactly how much junk mail do you receive as a result of this? Any phone calls? SPAM? The program details are pretty clear that you are agreeing to receiving "marketing material" as a result of membership. I received the "free year" letter yesterday, but am not sure I care to receive a bunch more junkmail/calls/spam.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: DSchell
This question is for folks on the West Coast who have already been in this program for some time now...

Exactly how much junk mail do you receive as a result of this? Any phone calls? SPAM? The program details are pretty clear that you are agreeing to receiving "marketing material" as a result of membership. I received the "free year" letter yesterday, but am not sure I care to receive a bunch more junkmail/calls/spam.
when the program first rolled out, they mailed me a free card for their trial run. i used it on a regular basis to buy dvd's and such (no huge purchases at best buy for me, no thank you), and then 2 weeks ago they mailed me the re-subscription card for free and thanked me for the trial run and said i had another year. i enjoy the card because it was free and i get coupons and every once in awhile they'll throw 10% coupons my way which can be helpful.

as far as junk mail goes, i have received none. once in a blue moon, ill get a little best buy booklet, but it usually has coupons in it. i dont believe i ever furnished a phone number, so, no calls on that. oh yeah, and when they do their 3-day weekend coupon mailers, usually one of the coupons is a 'buy this weekend, and your points are doubled, enabling you to get more certificates!'. if i had to purchase the card though, i wouldnt do it.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: ChillyPenguin
Another limitation I dont think has been listed: At most 50% of any purchase can be those vouchers.

now, i'm not sure if you would be able to use one for an item that was priced $9.99 ($5 is more than 50% of this, as you know)

chillypenguin

Wrong, they do offer lookups if you don't have your card. If its not available this moment, it will be soon. You can use your coupon on any purchase of $10 or more. If you want to use it with a $9.99 item, you can probably take one of those MSN disks for 2 cents to bump it up...

GoatHerderEd

Jan 11, 2001

chillypenguin

Wrong, they do offer lookups if you don't have your card. If its not available this moment, it will be soon. You can use your coupon on any purchase of $10 or more. If you want to use it with a $9.99 item, you can probably take one of those MSN disks for 2 cents to bump it up...

If you get an MSN disk, you MUST sign up.

ir0nw0lf

Jul 11, 2001
Just got my RZ card in yesterday and after reading the thread about Kingston 512MB PC3500 HyperX for $99 AR, I hauled it to BB. Bought 2 modules (on two receipts) @ 119.99/ea (total 239.98 before tax). $239.98x100= 23,998 points + 5000 activiation = 28,998 points! That gets me 2 GC's and almost 4k points to spare. Not only did I score big on the RAM but got some GC's for free. Love the card already. :D

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: sonyboy851

chillypenguin

If you get an MSN disk, you MUST sign up.

Then sign up. Its free, just cancel after the 6 months...

DestruyaUR

Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Runciter

Hmm, I got a letter to get the card in May or June too, but I dont' recall a $20 giftcard offer. Was that in the letter when you got the PP card? Or did you have to activate it to get it? To tell the truth I just skimmed the letter and never activated it.

I had to activate it by May 23rd in order to "get" it, and even then, it came in my "kit" as a coupon to bring to "any" BB to recieve a 20 dollar GC. They don't mail an activated GC.

What is this 15% off dealeo? Guess I should read that letter that came with the card! :)

The 15% off were separate coupons mailed to me outside the Power Perks program. Additionally, BB occasionally puts 15% off and $5 off coupons in gaming magazines like PCGamer, CGW, and Gamepro.

Have you logged onto the PP site? I don't know my password, but their FAQ says:

It's your personal code that lets you access all member features of this site. Your password will be mailed to you in the welcome kit, usually within 2-3 weeks of enrollment.

Did you get a "kit"? Perhaps it hasn't come yet unless they are talking about the envelope that had the card and a letter...

Yes, I got a "kit," but they took their sweet time getting it to me. As for the password, it's a tiny four-digit (at least for me) number.

clarkmo

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2000
Seriously, no one's gonna sign up if they only need a $0.02 item to get over $10. No sense getting in a snit over it.

DestruyaUR

Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: ir0nw0lf
Just got my RZ card in yesterday and after reading the thread about Kingston 512MB PC3500 HyperX for $99 AR, I hauled it to BB. Bought 2 modules (on two receipts) @ 119.99/ea (total 239.98 before tax). $239.98x100= 23,998 points + 5000 activiation = 28,998 points! That gets me 2 GC's and almost 4k points to spare. Not only did I score big on the RAM but got some GC's for free. Love the card already. :D

You're not going to love it when you see that the rebates are "one household/address" things. Hope you've got a work address to make one out to.

ir0nw0lf

Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: ir0nw0lf

You're not going to love it when you see that the rebates are "one household/address" things. Hope you've got a work address to make one out to.

Well, yep, one is my work address. I am not a n00b at these rebates. ;)

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: anxi80
Originally posted by: DSchell

when the program first rolled out, they mailed me a free card for their trial run. i used it on a regular basis to buy dvd's and such (no huge purchases at best buy for me, no thank you), and then 2 weeks ago they mailed me the re-subscription card for free and thanked me for the trial run and said i had another year. i enjoy the card because it was free and i get coupons and every once in awhile they'll throw 10% coupons my way which can be helpful.

as far as junk mail goes, i have received none. once in a blue moon, ill get a little best buy booklet, but it usually has coupons in it. i dont believe i ever furnished a phone number, so, no calls on that. oh yeah, and when they do their 3-day weekend coupon mailers, usually one of the coupons is a 'buy this weekend, and your points are doubled, enabling you to get more certificates!'. if i had to purchase the card though, i wouldnt do it.

I had the exact same experience as anxi80 did. I'm not sure what the big deal is. If you KNOW you're going to spend over $250 to at least make back your $10, then get the card. If not, then don't. They're not going to start stalking your family just because you signed up.

And someone mentioned that when buying a 9.99 item, just buy another 0.02 item to make it over $10. That's a YMMV. I've had cashier's let it slide, and other cashiers point out that the coupon says "$5 off a $10 or more ITEM," in other words, one item had to be over $10, not multiple items.

jrutz

Nov 4, 2002
Maybe I missed this, but is the card good on online purchases or just in-store?

Jeremy