Best Buy Reward Zone

GoatHerderEd

Jan 11, 2001
Hey all you Best Buy fans, there is a new thing at Best Buy that is really sweet. It's called "Reward Zone." It is basically a frequent shopper thing. You first have to buy a card for $10. The card comes with 5,000 points as a welcome present. Then, every $1 you spend, you get 100 points (one point per cent). After accumulating 12,500 points you are mailed a $5 certificate toward your next purchase. Pretty nice incentive to shop there! $5 off every $125 you spend!

froinlaven

Jun 9, 2003
So basically you have to pay $200 before you even make your $10 back? Sounds like a scam to me.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Uhh. Its not a scam if you shop there frequently, like many people do. You can either make a few bucks back, or you can make nothing back. So, take it or leave it, but there is no need to thread crap.

JRez

May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: PinwiZ
Uhh. Its not a scam if you shop there frequently, like many people do. You can either make a few bucks back, or you can make nothing back. So, take it or leave it, but there is no need to thread crap.

Seems similar to the system used at the other Best Buy owned chains (i.e. Media Play) where you buy the card and then get points from purchases to apply toward gift certs. This would end up being a hot deal for those who shop there. If it's a yearly subscription for the card, then they're finally using the Media Play system to drive up sales since the monthly coupons may not be getting them the business they're looking for...

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
No kidding this is hot.

I've spent about 400+ dollars in the last couple of months on their 2 for $20 DVDs alone...

So basically you have to pay $200 before you even make your $10 back? Sounds like a scam to me.

Well, what you fail to realize is that you aren't payig anything, pal. You aren't charged any more or less after the initial $10, and it's not like you just hand them 200 bucks to get a 5 dollar Gift Cert. You are just buying things like you normally do and getting something back for it. My bet is that the card never expires either. What if someone is going to buy a Big Screen TV? Let's say, one in the $7000 range. They pay a measly $10, and then they get go a nice new DVD player with the "$10" they just paid. It might just be me, but them giving you the chance to get gift certificates for doing something you normally do doesn't sound like a scam at all. It's a simple tactic to increase sales. Hence why it's called an "incentive" program.

Chances are, when you sign up for this, they probably send you better coupons to use on the prefered customer weekends. I know my parents, who spend more than me there, get better coupons every time that rolls around, so I would assume putting yourself in a more likely position to spend there reaps more rewards, obviously.

RDMustang1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2001
Originally posted by: sonyboy851
Hey all you Best Buy fans....

People are fans of Best Buy? Bunch of crooks who run their stores.. Not a bad deal if you spend tons of money there tho :)

fatbaby

Banned
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ness1469
No kidding this is hot.

I've spent about 400+ dollars in the last couple of months on their 2 for $20 DVDs alone...

Well, what you fail to realize is that you aren't payig anything, pal. You aren't charged any more or less after the initial $10, and it's not like you just hand them 200 bucks to get a 5 dollar Gift Cert. You are just buying things like you normally do and getting something back for it. My bet is that the card never expires either. What if someone is going to buy a Big Screen TV? Let's say, one in the $7000 range. They pay a measly $10, and then they get go a nice new DVD player with the "$10" they just paid. It might just be me, but them giving you the chance to get gift certificates for doing something you normally do doesn't sound like a scam at all. It's a simple tactic to increase sales. Hence why it's called an "incentive" program.

Chances are, when you sign up for this, they probably send you better coupons to use on the prefered customer weekends. I know my parents, who spend more than me there, get better coupons every time that rolls around, so I would assume putting yourself in a more likely position to spend there reaps more rewards, obviously.

If one is spending $7,000 on a top of the line 60" hdtv, I would think they can afford a $200 dvd player

DaCurryman

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2001
FYI, you must resubscribe every year.
So you're saying there is a fee of $10 every year?

This rewards thing is great for me. I've spent over over $2000 on DVDs & XBox stuff alone at Best Buy in the past year. I'm definitely going to look into it. Thanx OP

dew042

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2000
here's the straight scoop - it was rolled out at our store today...

Enrollment is $9.99/yr

12,500 points gets $5 gc

5000 base points for signing up.

good for large purchuses like many of our computer customers - $10 initial investment with garner $65 in gc for the average sale.

If you don't like it - don't get it. plain as that.... seems like everyone has a nasty comment for just about everything around here.... as consumers you do have the choice to make your own decisions on where and how you shop....

dew.

Bad Dude

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2000
I just got the card today for free. Of the 20+ year that I have been in the USA, I bought from them only 4 times and returned 3 times. More like Scam buys.

dew042

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2000
Originally posted by: RDMustang1
Hey all you Best Buy fans....

People are fans of Best Buy? Bunch of crooks who run their stores.. Not a bad deal if you spend tons of money there tho :)

guess that makes me a crook huh?

funny - i don't feel like a crook. you really think i am?

dew.

richc7

Jun 8, 2003
i assume that the amount you spend at best buy that goes towards the card is BEFORE rebates....

rasputinj

Diamond Member
May 15, 2001
My father in law just go this, good deal for him, each week he is buying some crap or stuff from BB, if you shop there a bit or buy big ticket items then it will work for you.

GLHS845

Sep 19, 2001
I got one of these at the beginning of June. It came on a card saying "Bring this to the Manassas VA store, and we'll activate it. Plus, get a $20 gift card". I took it in and activated it, and it didn't cost anything. They were supposed to mail the $20 gift card. I'm still waiting for it. Called a few weeks ago, and they said "It was in the mail, I should have it by the end of June". Nope. Called last week, and "They were looking into it". I mentioned that it was supposed to have already been mailed weeks ago, and was met with silence.

Another BIG issue is that these are only valid at participating stores. I bought a 32" TV at a local Best Buy, only to find out that they didn't take the card. I had to exchange the TV due to geometry problems anyway, so I took it back to a participating store. They scanned my Reward Zone card, but when I checked my balance online, no points were given. I spent 20 minutes on the phone with a less than knowledgeable drone, but I finally got the points for my TV added on. Now to wait for the $20 gift card...

I am not happy with the Reward Zone at all, and I got it for free. I even thought about cancelling it. I would think twice about actually having to pay money for it.

GoatHerderEd

Jan 11, 2001
Originally posted by: GLHS845
I got one of these at the beginning of June. It came on a card saying "Bring this to the Manassas VA store, and we'll activate it. Plus, get a $20 gift card". I took it in and activated it, and it didn't cost anything. They were supposed to mail the $20 gift card. I'm still waiting for it. Called a few weeks ago, and they said "It was in the mail, I should have it by the end of June". Nope. Called last week, and "They were looking into it". I mentioned that it was supposed to have already been mailed weeks ago, and was met with silence.

Another BIG issue is that these are only valid at participating stores. I bought a 32" TV at a local Best Buy, only to find out that they didn't take the card. I had to exchange the TV due to geometry problems anyway, so I took it back to a participating store. They scanned my Reward Zone card, but when I checked my balance online, no points were given. I spent 20 minutes on the phone with a less than knowledgeable drone, but I finally got the points for my TV added on. Now to wait for the $20 gift card...

I am not happy with the Reward Zone at all, and I got it for free. I even thought about cancelling it. I would think twice about actually having to pay money for it.

They tested the system out one region a while ago, they just made it country wide, so every Best Buy will now do it.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
If you are a frequent customer and make large purchases, its good for you. You pay for the membership after spending $200. THe price you pay is what you earn. So if its a mail in rebate, you get points for the price before rebate. If its an instant rebate, its the price after the instant rebate. Its $9.99 for the year with some customers recieving free memberships. Every purchase qualifies except for gift cards. The certificates are mailed to you in a few weeks, so you can't buy and return to earn points. If you don't buy a lot, then its not worth it. However, if you plan on buying a TV, Laptop or any other high purchase item, its worth it since you'll get back something instead of nothing. Also, the program was taken from Suncoast, which was owned by Best Buy. They recently sold Suncoast, Sam Goody and Musicland because they were losing money...

clarkmo

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2000
$25 a year...%10 off at point of sale. I'll hold out for that. Best Buy would drive their competitors out of business with a card like that, and they'd sell at least 10,000 of them.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: clarkmo
$25 a year...%10 off at point of sale. I'll hold out for that. Best Buy would drive their competitors out of business with a card like that, and they'd sell at least 10,000 of them.

They'd drive themselves out of business. You have to understand how things are priced...

clarkmo

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Kevin
Originally posted by: clarkmo

They'd drive themselves out of business. You have to understand how things are priced...

Now now, this is a savvy hot deals forum, and I got a clue about pricing.
My recent purchase Sony cdx-mp40 purchased from Best Buy.

BestBuy 188.89
Froogle $144.95 + up

Granted, it's an isolated case but it is by and large the usual case. They'd only apply the discount for card holders and generate many repeat sales away from internet and other retailers CC, etc.

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
here is my 2 cents about Best bBuy and many of these big chains..the customer service is so hit or miss..get the right manager and they will bend over backwards to keep a customer happy..get the "wrong" one and they could careless...
As for BB.com they are worthless..I am no longer using them for any purchases..I ordered the TDK 100pck 4X DVD+R...and called to check on the order as the website was up and down...after 30 min on the phone the guy we are having some problems but the order should be fine go to the store and pick it up..so I called the store another 30 min screwing around..we have it in stock and if you ordered come and get it...
so I got to get it...but NO the order has not been processed , one of there flunkies calls BB>com and order gets canceled without my permission after screwing around for 1 hr i nthe store to get fixed..nothing we can do as it is a BB.com issue...BB.com investigates and emails me back and says we are so sorry to bad but we do not have it instock today but will and we do not guarantee our sales price now that the sale is over..does not matter I spent 2 hrs of wasted time and aggravation when I was told to go pick up the order.

In the last several months I have bought a dvd burner, 160 gb hdd, Onkyo HTIB, Big Screen TV, appliances(close $10000)..I will only buy small stuff from BB since they do not care about customer service here at my local store in Brandon, FL like they did in Melbourne, FL

I am so glad I bought none of my major purchases from them..