Best budget cpu for gaming/streaming?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
TBH, OP, unless this PC was a gift from relatives, you made a poor choice for a game-streaming PC. You should have purchased a $800-$1200 CyberPowerPC from BestBuy or Newegg, with at least a Ryzen 7 1700, and a GTX 1070.

The HP (and I own this very one, I'm not picking on you in any way), is decidedly entry-level.

I bought mine for $500+tax from Walmart, partially because I couldn't have built one myself out of parts for that price, and partially, I was curious what an "official" pre-built Gaming PC was like.

IRobot23

Jul 3, 2017
TBH, OP, unless this PC was a gift from relatives, you made a poor choice for a game-streaming PC. You should have purchased a $800-$1200 CyberPowerPC from BestBuy or Newegg, with at least a Ryzen 7 1700, and a GTX 1070.

The HP (and I own this very one, I'm not picking on you in any way), is decidedly entry-level.

I bought mine for $500+tax from Walmart, partially because I couldn't have built one myself out of parts for that price, and partially, I was curious what an "official" pre-built Gaming PC was like.

Agree. Now he has to consider, if he is going to stream a lot?... then I see Ryzen 7 or R5 1600/X as an "only" option. Otherwise you can stick i5 7400 (iGPU or GTX 1060 as stream) or upgrade to i7 7700.

Last edited:

Whitz

Jan 24, 2018

Well honestly I didn’t even wanna stream on pc to begin with. I got it just bc Walmart had it on sale for 400+tax. And between the cpu and gpu alone, it would’ve been more than what I paid for the whole thing. I just wanted it for gaming, and doing just that, I love it. It wasn’t till recent when I noticed that I could stream easily from a pc and enjoy it. So that’s when I was looking around for upgrades I could make for it to handle streaming.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well honestly I didn’t even wanna stream on pc to begin with. I got it just bc Walmart had it on sale for 400+tax. And between the cpu and gpu alone, it would’ve been more than what I paid for the whole thing. I just wanted it for gaming, and doing just that, I love it. It wasn’t till recent when I noticed that I could stream easily from a pc and enjoy it. So that’s when I was looking around for upgrades I could make for it to handle streaming.
Well, do you have a second PC (older is fine, as long as it's not "too old"). Consider picking up one of those "HD60" USB3.0 / PCI-E capture devices, that takes an HDMI input. You'll probably be limited to streaming at 1080P@60, but it should run much better and not lag the actual gaming PC.

IRobot23

Jul 3, 2017

Like I said, if you will stream a lot then maybe you should consider Ryzen 7 or R5 1600.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I just wanted it for gaming, and doing just that, I love it. It wasn’t till recent when I noticed that I could stream easily from a pc and enjoy it. So that’s when I was looking around for upgrades I could make for it to handle streaming.
Try CPU core encoding (x264) with your current CPU first,because you haven't even tried that yet,it might be ok for the games you mentioned,use OBS, do it,do it now,before anything else.
(That is if you have issues with changing priorities on your recording software. )
Fortnite at least is low on CPU usage,so cpu encoding should be ok with your cpu.
If it's a problem with stutter in the recording/streaming than it's a problem with the priorities again and no amount of cpu cores will help you there.

IRobot23

Jul 3, 2017
Try CPU core encoding (x264) with your current CPU first,because you haven't even tried that yet,it might be ok for the games you mentioned,use OBS, do it,do it now,before anything else.
(That is if you have issues with changing priorities on your recording software. )
Fortnite at least is low on CPU usage,so cpu encoding should be ok with your cpu.
If it's a problem with stutter in the recording/streaming than it's a problem with the priorities again and no amount of cpu cores will help you there.

Fortnite can peak above 40-45% on R7 when CPu bottleneck.

Whitz

Jan 24, 2018
So after some time researching and messing with obs on my pc, I’ve finally figured out that I can stream on 720p 60fps perfectly fine on twitch without doing any upgrades. I appreciate everyone’s input and advice! I’m sure I’ll be back on here later down the road! Thank you!

Reactions: ZGR