Best 7800gt Manufacturer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: EvilRage
NOT at ALL true. I don't know why this keeps popping up but it's completely untrue. OVERCLOCKING WILL VOID EVGA'S WARRANTY:

Quoted from eVGA Knowledge Base

"KB No: 65 ... eVGA do not support any overclocking as it violates the manufacture warranty."

Overclocking WILL NOT void EVGA's warranty. :) Check the email correspondence below.

Hi John,

EVGA?s policy is exactly as stated on the Lifetime Warranty.

[*]Lifetime Warranty is for all retail Graphics Card products ending in the part numbers AX, DX, or FX
[*]There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU, or components

Thanks,

EVGA
Wade Shelley
Assistant Manager

2900 Saturn St. Suite B
Brea, CA 92821

Tel:
714/528-4500 x191

Fax:
714/528-4501

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 2:01 AM
To: Wade Shelley
Subject: EVGA and Overclocking

Hi, according to the knowledge base?.

"KB No: 65 ... eVGA do not support any overclocking as it violates the manufacture warranty."

I noticed that in the EVGA Community forums a lot of random posts discuss overclocking. Even though EVGA now has the new Lifetime warranty on certain cards, and the 7800GTX KO Edition as well as other cards in the EVGA lineup are ?factory? overclocked, what is EVGA?s policy on a warranty claim where the card was overclocked and needs warranty service?

Thanks,
John Welch

Mickey21

Aug 24, 2002
Originally posted by: John
NOT at ALL true. I don't know why this keeps popping up but it's completely untrue. OVERCLOCKING WILL VOID EVGA'S WARRANTY:

Overclocking WILL NOT void EVGA's warranty. :) Check the email correspondence below.

Hi John,

[*]Lifetime Warranty is for all retail Graphics Card products ending in the part numbers AX, DX, or FX

Thanks,

EVGA
Wade Shelley
Assistant Manager

2900 Saturn St. Suite B
Brea, CA 92821

Tel:
714/528-4500 x191

Fax:
714/528-4501

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed that in the EVGA Community forums a lot of random posts discuss overclocking. Even though EVGA now has the new Lifetime warranty on certain cards, and the 7800GTX KO Edition as well as other cards in the EVGA lineup are ?factory? overclocked, what is EVGA?s policy on a warranty claim where the card was overclocked and needs warranty service?

Thanks,
John Welch

This is exactly the point of their demonstrations and product release information they spoke about. They are selling overclocked product and understand the products will be overclocked. I am sure they figure that the overclocker is a small segment and however much they enjoy more performance, the majority do not want to risk damaging their card no matter how much they feel the product will be replaced. I love to overclock, but I dont seek to detroy my $500 video card either. In the end they will get more sales to support it then they would to just kick overclockers to the curb who happen to have an issue.

Also note that their warranty applies to the original owner. How many of us overclockers love to keep high end graphics cards for many years on end? The warranty is more of a comfort blanket, marketing item with good customer service as its side effect...

Bona Fide

Banned
Jun 21, 2005
eVGA is also one of the only companies, to my knowledge, that still upholds their warranty if you install an aftermarket cooler.

eVGA!! :thumbsup:

Keeir

Jun 7, 2005
I believe Asus makes a Dual Slot cooling solution for the 7800GTX...

Logically this should allow for same thermals with less noise or higher clocks for the same thermals...

EvilRage

Dec 20, 2004
Originally posted by: nitromullet
Originally posted by: chrisrod01
If you want the 7800gt i would go for the evga cause the clock speed are really high but if you want a 7800gtx i would go with xfx or (forgot another with really high clock speed) and dont worry the 7800gt's have a 90nm compare to the ultra that have 130 they wont make to much noise due to the smaller fan

False. The GT and GTX cores are identical except for the 4 less pipes on the GT.

The 4 less pipes are the pixel pipes. The 7800GT also has 1 less vertex pipe. Not to mention the core clock on the reference GTX is 430, as opposed to the reference GT's 400, and the reference GTX's memory clock is at 600, while the reference GT's is at 500. Of course, many manufacturers overclock these cards out of the box, so the actual numbers will vary.

imported_Ged

Mar 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Tommouse
All you guys with your 7800GT's and even 7800GTX's how is the noise. I'm looking to make a very quiet computer with my next build and want my video card to be quiet, and cool. The cooler the better, maybe a bit of OCing/softmoding to a 7800GTX if the temps will allow.

So, which, if any of the manufacturers have a good quiet cool cooling solution. I know they are all reference design right now, but is there any difference between all the choices?

hrm. Am I missing something?

TOPIC SUMMARY: Looking for the quietest/or the cheapest and I will put a VF700 on it

If you are going to put a vf700 on it, why does it matter how quiet they are stock???

My Vote goes to BFG. 650Mhz (1300mhz effective) GDDR3 stock might mean that they verified their memory for higher speeds and their PCB.

GameDrive that they bundle with their card is really nice.

Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Mickey21

Hi John,

Thanks,

EVGA
Wade Shelley
Assistant Manager

2900 Saturn St. Suite B
Brea, CA 92821

Tel:
714/528-4500 x191

Fax:
714/528-4501

Thanks,
John Welch

This is exactly the point of their demonstrations and product release information they spoke about. They are selling overclocked product and understand the products will be overclocked. I am sure they figure that the overclocker is a small segment and however much they enjoy more performance, the majority do not want to risk damaging their card no matter how much they feel the product will be replaced. I love to overclock, but I dont seek to detroy my $500 video card either. In the end they will get more sales to support it then they would to just kick overclockers to the curb who happen to have an issue.

Also note that their warranty applies to the original owner. How many of us overclockers love to keep high end graphics cards for many years on end? The warranty is more of a comfort blanket, marketing item with good customer service as its side effect...

Does burn marks count? :p

EvilRage

Dec 20, 2004

Hi John,

Thanks,

EVGA
Wade Shelley
Assistant Manager

2900 Saturn St. Suite B
Brea, CA 92821

Tel:
714/528-4500 x191

Fax:
714/528-4501

Thanks,
John Welch

It appears that overclocking was not addressed specifically by this e-mail, so I still can't say I'd be confident about coverage. However, I did do some more research on eVGA's website, and I noticed that their knowledge base is a little out of date... it still shows their warranty as being limited to a single year. I can't find any information as to the terms and conditions of their lifetime warranty, which I'm sure would specifically state whether or not overclocking is covered by the warranty. So until eVGA updates their knowledge base or puts out information regarding their lifetime warranty, I'm going to choose to remain a skeptic.

Originally posted by: Mickey21
LOL, I just noticed this... This should end the debate on EVGA's warranty, it was right under our nose, or least to the left of it... :)

For those that missed the animation, I captured each frame... :)

I can't believe we didnt just look at this next to the thread....

So I suppose if you OC the card using eVGA's utility, you're under warranty, but anything else is subject to debate?

I dunno guys. Until I see something official from eVGA that says "If you decide to overclock your eVGA video card beyond factory specifications with eVGA's EVTweak, or any third party overclocking applications, you are still covered under our Lifetime Warranty."

Just for comparison, here's some text from BFG's website regarding THEIR Lifetime Warranty:

"This warranty is valid if the product:
Was not modified or damaged by overclocking, tampering, user error, accident, disaster, abuse, misuse, power supply, power application, alteration, repair, modification, a fix or replacement by someone other than BFG Technologies."

Tommouse

Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Ged
Originally posted by: Tommouse
All you guys with your 7800GT's and even 7800GTX's how is the noise. I'm looking to make a very quiet computer with my next build and want my video card to be quiet, and cool. The cooler the better, maybe a bit of OCing/softmoding to a 7800GTX if the temps will allow.

So, which, if any of the manufacturers have a good quiet cool cooling solution. I know they are all reference design right now, but is there any difference between all the choices?

hrm. Am I missing something?

TOPIC SUMMARY: Looking for the quietest/or the cheapest and I will put a VF700 on it

If you are going to put a vf700 on it, why does it matter how quiet they are stock???

My Vote goes to BFG. 650Mhz (1300mhz effective) GDDR3 stock might mean that they verified their memory for higher speeds and their PCB.

GameDrive that they bundle with their card is really nice.

I guess I was a bit misleading with the topic summary. I am looking either for the quietest, or the cheapest. Only putting the VF700 on if the OEM is loud.

It turned into just lots of manufacturer info which I don't mind at all, still helping my decision.

My next question was though, will the VF700 fit on the new NVidia line? It says nothing either way on the Zalman site if they do or do not. Anyone know if it would even fit?

Bona Fide

Banned
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: marciorr
I'm happy with my 2 Leadteks.

I was gonna go Leadtek, but eVGA has an unbeatable warranty + Battlefield 2. I already have the two games that the Leadtek comes with, so eVGA ftw. :)

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
XFX is also nice, can transfer the lifetime warrenty when u sell it...which i have basically done with every video card I have ever purchased....ebayed it eventually...

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I just got a Chaintech 7800GT from NCIX.com during promo... annoyingly enough before I'd even received it, the BFG 7800GT was on sale for even less, but the Chaintech works awesome, it's got a lot of nice stuff in the box.. I am happy w/it after a couple hours of BF2ing!! works like a champ, no problems whatsoever yet :)

imported_Ard

Jan 18, 2005
BFG > EVGA > *

Um...no. Sorry to tell you, but eVGA is the new king now. 24/7 phone support, a lifetime warranty that won't be voided by overclocking, highest performance/lowest temps on the market thus far, and a step-up program, which most of the original buyers of the GTX (myself included) are now taking advantage of to get the KO ACS. BFG had their time and they're still a damn good company (easily 2nd best out there due to their support), but eVGA runs this now, plain and simple.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Ard
BFG > EVGA > *

Um...no. Sorry to tell you, but eVGA is the new king now. 24/7 phone support, a lifetime warranty that won't be voided by overclocking, highest performance/lowest temps on the market thus far, and a step-up program, which most of the original buyers of the GTX (myself included) are now taking advantage of to get the KO ACS. BFG had their time and they're still a damn good company (easily 2nd best out there due to their support), but eVGA runs this now, plain and simple.

agree.. but you can't forget XFX right now, as they have transferrable warranty, the ONLY one IIRC... their cards are not as bad as people say they are generally either. I am not saying they are the best, but their warranty policies are fairly attractive too.

Feb 19, 2001
Get the cheapest.

I got a BFG one on the first day (Dell deal) for $345. Awesome stuff. Yes the fan is noisy as fvck on startup, but its fine in normal use. Even when gaming I think it was fine (oh wait I didn't have 3D Games when I first installed my 7800GT). Uhh anyways, I slapped a Vf700 on immediately. Definitely cooler by like 5 degrees or so, but not impressive (on full speed). Noise is a concern for me, but with my 120mm fans loud enough, I can't really hear the Vf700.

carage

Sep 20, 2004
So if you don't already have an EVGA card, what does the step-up program mean to you?
G80 discounts? SLI discounts?

Tu13erhead

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Wow, after reading the thread I'm glad I went with eVGA.

My 7800GT is on the truck! Almost here! Woohoo!