Best 7800gt Manufacturer

Tommouse

Feb 29, 2004
All you guys with your 7800GT's and even 7800GTX's how is the noise. I'm looking to make a very quiet computer with my next build and want my video card to be quiet, and cool. The cooler the better, maybe a bit of OCing/softmoding to a 7800GTX if the temps will allow.

So, which, if any of the manufacturers have a good quiet cool cooling solution. I know they are all reference design right now, but is there any difference between all the choices?

johnnqq

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
if you want quiet get a gigabyte xl. fanless. all fans will make some noise while gaming.

chrisrod01

Banned
Apr 16, 2005
If you want the 7800gt i would go for the evga cause the clock speed are really high but if you want a 7800gtx i would go with xfx or (forgot another with really high clock speed) and dont worry the 7800gt's have a 90nm compare to the ultra that have 130 they wont make to much noise due to the smaller fan

BigCoolJesus

Banned
Jun 22, 2005
eVGA

if thier 6800GT was an indication, the 7800GT should be a good oc'er

Plus thier warranty, and trade in program

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
EVGA

Leadtek and if you can find it Gainward, have the highest quality parts and edge Leadtek out.

EVGA and BFG seem to be the best out there for the money. And honestly you cant beat EVGA's warranty.

-Kevin

Paktu

Oct 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Unkno
yea, i wonder what happened to recommending bfg...

BFG had a number of problems with their 6800-series cards, specifically with the fan dying. Also, while BFG and eVGA both offer a lifetime warranty, eVGA's covers ANY non-physical damage to the card. So if you overclock it and fry it, they'll send you a new one.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
BFG generally has cheap crappy loud cooling solutions, if you can even call them that.

EvilRage

Dec 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Paktu
Also, while BFG and eVGA both offer a lifetime warranty, eVGA's covers ANY non-physical damage to the card. So if you overclock it and fry it, they'll send you a new one.

NOT at ALL true. I don't know why this keeps popping up but it's completely untrue. OVERCLOCKING WILL VOID EVGA'S WARRANTY:

Quoted from eVGA Knowledge Base

"KB No: 65 ... eVGA do not support any overclocking as it violates the manufacture warranty."

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: chrisrod01
If you want the 7800gt i would go for the evga cause the clock speed are really high but if you want a 7800gtx i would go with xfx or (forgot another with really high clock speed) and dont worry the 7800gt's have a 90nm compare to the ultra that have 130 they wont make to much noise due to the smaller fan

False. The GT and GTX cores are identical except for the 4 less pipes on the GT.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
I <3 eVGA, but there's a deal over at ZZF for an XFX 7800GT OC for $369 shipped. The price is just really damn good...

I, too, have been wondering about all these new upgraded warranty policies. So far, what I've been hearing is that eVGA is now lifetime and cover everything except physical damage. I went to their website recently and their warranty still said 1 year, so maybe I just wasn't looking in the right place. Does anyone have a link to this lifetime warranty for everything but physical damage?

Also, I've heard that XFX now has a double lifetime warranty, meaning the person who buys the card has a lifetime warranty, and the next person he sells it to does as well.

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
I have the BFG 7800GT and it came with GameDrive 9 trial. Let's me store my cd videogames on the harddrive so that I don't have to stick in the cd's.

Haven't had any problems with it, I highly recommend it. Have talked to the tech support and they are friendly. It runs cool, cool enough to touch it, and the fan only gets a bit louder when playing BF2.

Mickey21

Aug 24, 2002
Originally posted by: EvilRage
Originally posted by: Paktu
Also, while BFG and eVGA both offer a lifetime warranty, eVGA's covers ANY non-physical damage to the card. So if you overclock it and fry it, they'll send you a new one.

NOT at ALL true. I don't know why this keeps popping up but it's completely untrue. OVERCLOCKING WILL VOID EVGA'S WARRANTY:

Quoted from eVGA Knowledge Base

"KB No: 65 ... eVGA do not support any overclocking as it violates the manufacture warranty."

In recent dsicussions with vendors and EVGA product releases at tradeshows, representatives have said such things as this. Including most recently at Quakecon 2005.

But also mostly because their warranty release says this and only stipulates the two criteria:

EVGA is recognized through customer loyalty and the highest levels in customer satisfaction. We continously work to make sure that each sale results in a customer for life! This is part of the EVGA Difference - known for offering value and performance, as well as top notch customer service.

In keeping with our valued ideology, we are pleased to offer the new EVGA Lifetime Warranty.

For our retail Graphics Card products purchased on or after June 22, 2005, EVGA will provide a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser of each graphics card that the product will not suffer, in material or workmanship, from any defect that adversely affects the performance of the graphics card. This lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the graphics card, so long as the original purchaser owns the card, based upon the following conditions:

* Lifetime Warranty is for all retail Graphics Card products ending in the part numbers AX, DX, or FX
* There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU, or components

We will repair or replace the defective parts free of charge (no refunds). All you pay is the shipping charge to return the product to EVGA.

EVGA reserves the right to claim for shipping fees along with a service charge* from the customer for any incomplete or modified product that is returned and requires repair or replacement, or when the customer is not entitled to any coverage under this lifetime warranty. EVGA provides this same lifetime warranty to any graphics card repaired or replaced pursuant this lifetime warranty.

Please feel free to call us first for any needed support at (888) 881-EVGA (3842) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

We stand behind the products we sell, for their value, quality, and reliability.

You can make what you want of it, but for me it does seem EVGA is going to stand behind their product 100%, which says wow to me. I now own 3 EVGA-7800GTX cards and I am going to keep my eye on buying EVGA cards in the future with this kind of support.

UltraWide

May 13, 2000
The only real difference between any cards are the heatsink and fan. the PCBs are all made by 1 company in China and distributed to Nvidia partners. So, if you will be replacing the heatsink anyway, then just get the cheapest you can find.

My BFG 7800GT is loud. I guess some wouldn't notice with their 6 case fans running @ 9,000rpm... But honestly it is loud, it's the loudest component in my case and also the MOST expensive. That is just SAD.