Best 4x Space Game?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I was searching around for what the internet said the best 4x space game was and at the top of almost every list was MoO2. There seriously isn't anything since then that can topple it?

I'm trying out Endless Space, but I get the feeling it's going to pale in comparison.

I have all the Galactic Civilizations, was just looking for something newer.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i loved Imperium Galactica II back in the day (2000-ish?)
big turn based space battles and then you go down to the planet and fight on the ground RTS style.
customisable units and lots of research

Last edited:

Redshirt 24

Jan 30, 2006
I've heard good things about the Sword of the Stars series, but in general it does appear that the Sins games are held up as the best of the post-Galactic Civilizations 4X crop. That said there are others--Endless Space, Armada 2526, Star Ruler, and so on--that have followings, but not nearly as huge ones.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
MOO2 is best.

Imperium Galactica 2 is good stuff.

Galactic Civilizations 2 is the best game currently being supported.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I was searching around for what the internet said the best 4x space game was and at the top of almost every list was MoO2. There seriously isn't anything since then that can topple it?

I'm trying out Endless Space, but I get the feeling it's going to pale in comparison.

I have all the Galactic Civilizations, was just looking for something newer.

Try the original MOO.

Some people also like galactic civilizations II

callaway86

Jun 19, 2010
Wow, no mention of the X series yet? IMHO it's the best of the 4x games. I'd skip the previous titles and go to the latest. Egosoft does a great job with their games, though there is a bit of a learning curve.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Try the original MOO.

Some people also like galactic civilizations II

I actually played that and MOO2 when they came out, just surprised that they were still kind of the defacto standard.

Would you have any interest in a hybrid 4x-RTS? It's a slower-paced RTS that can be played in online multiplayer PvP, but the 4x elements aren't nearly as deep as what you'd find with a turn-based 4x game. Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion, now on sale for $20.

http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/store

http://store.steampowered.com/app/204880/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

I'm kind of partial to the TBS, 'deep' 4x games, but I've heard a lot about Sins so I'll check it out.

i loved Imperium Galactica II back in the day (2000-ish?)
big turn based space battles and then you go down to the planet and fight on the ground RTS style.
customisable units and lots of research

Has a Civilization look to it. I never heard of that game before, but will look into is as it sound different than most.

Wow, no mention of the X series yet? IMHO it's the best of the 4x games. I'd skip the previous titles and go to the latest. Egosoft does a great job with their games, though there is a bit of a learning curve.

Aren't those more like Elite? I sort of remember playing one of them and it was a bit of a pain trying to fly into space stations ala 3D.

Last edited:

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I think Gal Civ 2 is the best 4X space game over MoO 2, but I also don't have any nostalgia for MoO 2 since I only played it for the first time a few years ago. MoO 2 is a great game, but GC2 is better in most ways in my opinion.

I agree that X3:AP is an outstanding game, but it isn't a classic 4X turn based game. It does carry much of the 4X gameplay (Exploration, Exploitation, Extermination, and some Expansion) but it is on a much smaller scale than normal 4X games, and it takes place in first person in real time which is way outside the norm.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I really like Star Ruler due to the the way it scales, but, nothing beats Alpha Centauri.

9mak9

Dec 3, 2007
I was actually looking for the same thing after I started playing ME3...got me in the mood for some space age games.

I did some research and really Sins was the top newest game to get. I bought Endless Space also but just doing the tutorial it was pretty overwhelming to just understand. Also picked up FTL which isn't a 4x but seems interesting to look into.

Does anybody know of any space games that are more focused on strategy than the actual battle focus? I'm thinking more of the ME3 "making sure you are battle ready" aspect plus a tower defense kind of game? Not really sure how to explain it but maybe something similar to NWN2 Crossroad Keep (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Crossroad_Keep). Like building up an empire and focusing on that strategy as opposed to the actual action. I'm not sure if Endless Space is like this and I've heard that is what Sins is somewhat like but I haven't really played them yet.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
+1 to sins of a solar empire rebellion!

Speaking of imperium galactica II... did anyone ever complete the solarian campaign? I would get to a point in it then after that nothing would happen, never figured it out.

Dwarf

Sep 14, 2004
Master of Orion 2 > *

I've played a few others, and nothing can compare in terms of tech trees, race trait variety, random events, etc. I think if they make a high res remake of it, with some minor streamlining and modernization, it would be awesome.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
ive heard good things about Endless Space. Back in the day, i played the shit out of a game called Stars!

it was lots of fun. Wish there was a modern version of that.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
I'm really enjoying Endless Space, this is coming from a guy who loved moo2, hated moo3.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
ive heard good things about Endless Space. Back in the day, i played the shit out of a game called Stars!

it was lots of fun. Wish there was a modern version of that.

I played the demo of Stars! like mad when I was a teen. Pretty sure that was the first 4x game I played.

I like endless space quite a bit. The only problem is the combat is pretty meh, but the planet building is solid. I haven't really played it enough to have an opinion on the AI though.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
I played the demo of Stars! like mad when I was a teen. Pretty sure that was the first 4x game I played.

I like endless space quite a bit. The only problem is the combat is pretty meh, but the planet building is solid. I haven't really played it enough to have an opinion on the AI though.

is combat automated in endless space? i loved MOO2, but combat got old, i just auto'd through it?

its on sale and im considering pickin it up

NP Complete

Jul 16, 2010
You might consider giving AI War a look if you haven't. From my brief playing (few hours on tutorials), it's basically sort of a mix mash of Sins of a Solar Empire and Gal Civ II, minus
factions/diplomacy, but with a more novel AI opponent.

Also on sale on steam for ~2.75ish.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
is combat automated in endless space? i loved MOO2, but combat got old, i just auto'd through it?

its on sale and im considering pickin it up

Yea, it pretty much is. You just watch the two fleets fight and play card type things that kind of rock/paper/scissor (it's more complicated than rps though) against what the other person activates and you get advantages or disadvantages based on that.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Sins is great but not a 4x to me. I feel like there hasn't been anything passable since MOO2. Pretty much every game since has been lacking interesting space combat and/or ship customization. That said, I did find Distant Worlds pretty fun, if not a bit obtuse. I never understood the appeal of GalCiv, though.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
GalCiv2 was pretty fun, but i found it lacking. It had the right feel, but some things wernt executed well. I never cared for the spreading of culture in that game.