"Bernie Bros"

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Did you even read what I said? Your reply agreed with me. "Bro's" and "Sister" for their respective genders. "wise and beautiful woman" can be used for anyone, especially if you're British in which case it's in every other sentence regardless of if it's even talking about a person.

Try again! Next time don't agree with me if you intend to try and make a counter argument, please - don't waste either of our time.

My apologies. I was posting and running. I'm glad we agree!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
See, there you go trying to change the argument again. You're pretty good at trying to manipulate, but it's sadly obvious. For the record, in the context of "Bernie Bro's, the word "brother" has no place in the discussion at all.

"bros" and "brother" are not the same thing. Attempting to argue they are just so you can invent some comparison to "sister" is a little ridiculous. I said "bros" and you countered with "sister".

I get it, you're probably an old dude so this is hard for you to grasp, but "bros" isn't synonymous with "brother". That appears to be the root of your current confusion - hopefully I cleared it up for you so you can stop trying to make correlations where one doesn't exist.

Beyond lame-

https://www.allacronyms.com/BROS/Brothers

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
How so?

Tell me why Bernie is not worth more on your thoughts than the shill?
They never answer that question with anything but debunked nonsense, like she is more electable, or she can get more done, or she has gotten more done....etc

Last edited:

Virge_

Aug 6, 2013

If you are seriously stooping so low as to try and argue that in the context of "Bernie Bro's", specifically in relation to the discussion in this thread and the slur it is suggesting, that they are saying "Bernie Brothers", then we simply have nothing left to discuss because you are wrong, and I doubt you will ever see it.

We can just agree to disagree, given your reputation I won't lose any sleep over this one.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
If you are seriously stooping so low as to try and argue that in the context of "Bernie Bro's", specifically in relation to the discussion in this thread and the slur it is suggesting, that they are saying "Bernie Brothers", then we simply have nothing left to discuss because you are wrong, and I doubt you will ever see it.

We can just agree to disagree, given your reputation I won't lose any sleep over this one.

I'm sorry, what does "bros" mean in your mind and in this context? I really don't know what you are arguing about.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
I'm sorry, what does "bros" mean in your mind and in this context? I really don't know what you are arguing about.

Ever heard people talk about "brogrammers" before? That wasn't about being male or someone's brother either.

The first few entries in the urban dictionary link I gave earlier sum it up pretty well.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

If you're suggesting that Bernie Bros aren't brothers in raving obnoxious internet behavior you're overlooking the context surrounding the colloquial use of the term bro entirely.

If it walks like a duck & all that. If there are women involved they're just acting like one of the boys so all it means applies to them as well. One big obnoxious loudmouthed family.

It's entirely too close to the truth for you to be comfortable with it, I'm sure.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Ever heard people talk about "brogrammers" before? That wasn't about being male or someone's brother either.

The first few entries in the urban dictionary link I gave earlier sum it up pretty well.

Urban Dictionary entry for bro:

"An alpha male idiot."

You can whine and moan about fine semantics all you want. Doesn't change the fact that Bernie Bros are shallow, unintelligent, loud-mouth people. That which we call a bro, by any other name would smell as rank.

Last edited:

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
If you're suggesting that Bernie Bros aren't brothers in raving obnoxious internet behavior you're overlooking the context surrounding the colloquial use of the term bro entirely.

If it walks like a duck & all that. If there are women involved they're just acting like one of the boys so all it means applies to them as well. One big obnoxious loudmouthed family.

It's entirely too close to the truth for you to be comfortable with it, I'm sure.
That is an amazingly good deflection. I have to commend you on producing that level of bullshit.

Seriously, well done. Bros to brothers to brothers in arms.

I don't blame you really, admitting you are wrong on the internet opens you up to an unbelievable amount of criticism.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
That is an amazingly good deflection. I have to commend you on producing that level of bullshit.

Seriously, well done. Bros to brothers to brothers in arms.

I don't blame you really, admitting you are wrong on the internet opens you up to an unbelievable amount of criticism.

What was he deflecting?

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Urban Dictionary entry for bro:

"An alpha male idiot."

You can whine and moan about fine semantics all you want. Doesn't change the fact that Bernie Bros are shallow, unintelligent, loud-mouth people. That which we call a bro, by any other name would smell as rank.

By fine semantics do you mean supporting the term pulling examples from people who aren't even male? Because some of the first articles to use the phrase picked up examples from women, all the while clearly labelling it a male phenomenon.

Anyone who tries to pass the "bro" thing off as not really being about gender doesn't see it for what it is (or doesn't want to admit it), which is Hillary's campaign pushing charges of sexism again. That Bernie inspires sexism. If it's stated as a matter of Bernie supporting men attacking Hillary it's easy to frame as sexism.

There are obnoxious people like you describe who support Bernie Sanders. As there are for Hillary, and Trump, or whichever candidate you support. This turned into the narrative it has specifically to single out and attack Bernie, not because it's some kind of unique problem that has to be dealt with somehow.

It's also kind of amazing seeing it picked up by people on the right.. you do know that this is a tactic done on Hillary's behalf, right?

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Looks like the Clinton Camp tried that tactic before:

Caqpr2qUsAMDi6L.jpg-large.jpeg

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
They never answer that question with anything but debunked nonsense, like she is more electable, or she can get more done, or she has gotten more done....etc

Considering Sanders is a rigid, "principled", populist, there is very little chance he will get anything done. And from what I've heard, he doesn't even understand the problems to be able to properly address them. Hillary is more capable of a leader by default.

Virge_

Aug 6, 2013
Considering Sanders is a rigid, "principled", populist, there is very little chance he will get anything done. And from what I've heard, he doesn't even understand the problems to be able to properly address them. Hillary is more capable of a leader by default.

Bolded for all that needs to be read from your snippet of text. Specifically because it's ignorant.

Come back with an argument that isn't just hearsay to be taken seriously.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Bolded for all that needs to be read from your snippet of text. Specifically because it's ignorant.

Come back with an argument that isn't just hearsay to be taken seriously.

His health care plan appears to rely on unrealistic assumptions of cost savings. Even if those cost savings are somehow achieved it still appears to fall several trillion dollars short on funding and depends on a tax rate for the highest earners that is considered to be above the revenue maximizing rate.

http://fiscalfactcheck.crfb.org/analysis-of-the-sanders-single-payer-offsets/

That Sen. Sanders has shown a commitment to paying for his new initiatives and has proposed specific concrete changes to do so is quite encouraging. However, by our rough estimates, his proposed offsets would cover only three-quarters of his claimed cost, leaving a $3 trillion shortfall over ten years. Even that discrepancy, though, assumes that the campaign’s estimate of the cost of their single-payer plan is correct. An alternate analysis by respected health economist Kenneth Thorpe of Emory University finds a substantially higher cost, which would leave Sanders’s plan $14 trillion short. The plan would also increase the top tax rate beyond the point where most economists believe it could continue generating more revenue and thus could result in even larger deficits as a result of slowed economic growth.

This doesn't seem to be a plan that someone who understands the problems facing the US health care system would make. What do you think?

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
See, there you go trying to change the argument again. You're pretty good at trying to manipulate, but it's sadly obvious. For the record, in the context of "Bernie Bro's, the word "brother" has no place in the discussion at all.

"bros" and "brother" are not the same thing. Attempting to argue they are just so you can invent some comparison to "sister" is a little ridiculous. I said "bros" and you countered with "sister".

I get it, you're probably an old dude so this is hard for you to grasp, but "bros" isn't synonymous with "brother". That appears to be the root of your current confusion - hopefully I cleared it up for you so you can stop trying to make correlations where one doesn't exist.

We had bros back in the day. They were black dudes. Somehow whitey stole it.

Virge_

Aug 6, 2013
His health care plan appears to rely on unrealistic assumptions of cost savings. Even if those cost savings are somehow achieved it still appears to fall several trillion dollars short on funding and depends on a tax rate for the highest earners that is considered to be above the revenue maximizing rate.

I fear the current alternative is the incoming TPP-fueled 25%+ yearly health care increases..

I haven't seen ANYONE propose a plan that can get consensus. Doesn't that suggest a drastic change has to happen one way or the other, and that even if we don't steer it it's inevitable?

I understand you are disinclined to believe the math adds up to Sanders plan, but how long can we continue to go year after year reducing median wages after inflation with increasing health care costs because we have no negotiation ability at all in the process before nobody can afford health care at all?

I'm not an expert, I don't proclaim to be, but I don't disagree with someone simply because I dislike them when all other alternatives are just as bad - at some point you have to be realistic, and preferably proactively before you're forced to.