Berkeley conservatives tell of death threats for criticism

Aug 10, 2001
A conservative student group at the University of California at Berkeley has become a target of death threats after the group printed a story criticizing a Hispanic campus group's call for revolutionary liberation from white people.

Members of the Berkeley Conservative Foundation said the current issue of California Patriot, the conservative monthly magazine, included a story that challenged statements made by members of a student group called "Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (MECha )" who, in a flier, used the word "beloved patriot" to describe white people and called for a revolt against them.

The conservative students said once the critical report on MECha was published in the Patriot last week, some of them were harassed by the group's members and a few of them received death threats. The next day, someone broke into their on-campus office and stole all 3,000 copies of the magazine. Damages are estimated at $2,000. Campus police are now investigating the incident.

The foundation members said yesterday that the latest actions have trampled on their rights to free speech. A college campus, they argue, should provide a forum where students can exchange ideas without being censored.

"I'm not sure what's more disgusting ? that we have racists of this caliber on campus in this day and age or that Berkeley is a haven for emotional children who believe that the law doesn't apply to them," said Kelso Barnett, a Berkeley student who is chairman of the conservative foundation. "This is terrorism, pure and simple."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20020305-21028866.htm

Hubris

Platinum Member
Jul 14, 2001
Christ, it's not like the Berkeley Administration is the one that broke into their office. They're not stifling their freedom of speech, so that argument is invalid. Other than that, yes, they were victims of terrorism and yes, it sucks. But it happens.

isildur

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2001
um...the posted clip doesn't accuse the administration of anything, it merely states that their rights have been trampled.

Texmaster

Banned
Jun 5, 2001

<< Christ, it's not like the Berkeley Administration is the one that broke into their office. They're not stifling their freedom of speech, so that argument is invalid. Other than that, yes, they were victims of terrorism and yes, it sucks. But it happens. >>

Name ONE incident where Conservatives at a conservative school actually broke into Liberal Newspapers and to steal their papers so they can't be published.

This is NOT a 2 sided issue. Its a real problem many Liberals have.

Read the article: Copies of the Patriot were reported stolen twice in the last year, and several copies were burned after the publication of stories that some campus groups deemed controversial. Speeches on campus sponsored by the College Republicans and the Patriot have been cut short twice when audience members became rowdy during the talks.

The conservative students said once the critical report on MECha was published in the Patriot last week, some of them were harassed by the group's members and a few of them received death threats. The next day, someone broke into their on-campus office and stole all 3,000 copies of the magazine. Damages are estimated at $2,000. Campus police are now investigating the incident.

This does NOT happen every day and when it happens it should be taken Very seriously.

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000

<<
Name ONE incident where Conservatives at a conservative school actually broke into Liberal Newspapers and to steal their papers so they can't be published.

>>

Well..it wasn't a newspaper, but WATERGATE :D

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
aww thats all? maybe they'll catch up the rest of the way and bomb places they don't like, send some white powder and assassinate ppl like those nutty anti abortion conservatives:)

Texmaster

Banned
Jun 5, 2001

<<

<<

>>

>>

Thats right it wasn't a newspaper. :) Nice try though.

Texmaster

Banned
Jun 5, 2001

<< aww thats all? maybe they'll catch up the rest of the way and bomb places they don't like, send some white powder and assassinate ppl like those nutty anti abortion conservatives:) >>

Nef! Long time no see!

Good to see you are still ducking the issues presented! LOL

AnthraX101

Oct 7, 2001
Extreme Liberals: Kill for their cause.
Extreme Conservitives: Kill for their cause.
Extreme Fascists: Kill for their cause.
Extreme Comunists: Kill for their cause.
Extreme Theoligists: Kill for their cause.

Lession: Extremes != Average Belever

Armani

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000

<<

<<

<<

>>

>>

>>

Like Nefrodite said, "aww thats all? maybe they'll catch up the rest of the way and bomb places they don't like, send some white powder and assassinate ppl like those nutty anti abortion conservatives".

There are 2 sides...conservatives are just is immoral as liberals....unless we're not gettin your point...
What is it by the way?

Texmaster

Banned
Jun 5, 2001

<<

<<

<<

<<

>>

>>

>>

Like Nefrodite said, "aww thats all? maybe they'll catch up the rest of the way and bomb places they don't like, send some white powder and assassinate ppl like those nutty anti abortion conservatives".

There are 2 sides...conservatives are just is immoral as liberals....unless we're not gettin your point...
What is it by the way?
>>

We are not talking about a racial faction of the Liberal party. We are talking about Liberal college students who see no harm in silencing a conservative simply because they don't like what they have to say.

The crazy abortionists have a sticking point as do the enviromental groups.

This goes beyond the extremes to include unorganized Liberals. That is the scary part.

You and Nef keep ducking the issue by bringing up 50 year old events and thats fine but it wont change whats going on at Berkley.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

<< We are not talking about a racial faction of the Liberal party. We are talking about Liberal college students who see no harm in silencing a conservative simply because they don't like what they have to say. >>

If we are talking about Beserkly Students then we are talking about "Radicals". Unfortunately they don't have a course on Common Sense at UC Berkley and if they did it the idiots there would probably stage a sit in at the Universities to have it closed down.

<< The crazy abortionists have a sticking point as do the enviromental groups. >>

Just like the Crazy Pro-Lifers.

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
So beacause a few Mexicans steal some copies of a newspaper that make them look bad, all of a sudden all Liberals are against free speech !??
rolleye.gif

Texmaster

Banned
Jun 5, 2001

<< So beacause a few Mexicans steal some copies of a newspaper that make them look bad, all of a sudden all Liberals are against free speech !??
rolleye.gif
>>

Must I keep correcting you?
rolleye.gif

My quote:

<< This is NOT a 2 sided issue. Its a real problem many Liberals have. >>

Not all, Many. Try not to make the same mistake again.

Hubris

Platinum Member
Jul 14, 2001
Dude, I never laid any blame at any group in particular. I merely said it happens. And while extreme conservatives may not steal papers (at least none in my memory, but I hardly study the phenomenon), they certainly do stifle free speech. Last time I checked, it was conservatives who are in favor of banning books for their salacious contents. NO GROUP is ever innocent. Almost every extreme group in the friggin world has done something reprehensible. That's why they're usually labeled EXTREME. Stop painting entire groups with such a broad brush, dude. Stereotypes are NOT your friend. Personally, I don't give a crap about anyone's personal politics or ideas unless they infringe on MY life.

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000

<<

<< So beacause a few Mexicans steal some copies of a newspaper that make them look bad, all of a sudden all Liberals are against free speech !??
rolleye.gif
>>

Must I keep correcting you?
rolleye.gif

My quote:

<< This is NOT a 2 sided issue. Its a real problem many Liberals have. >>

Not all, Many. Try not to make the same mistake again.
>>

Well...give us another example besides the Mexicans in Berkely...

I dont see how they constitute MANY Liberals...unless theres only a couple dozen Liberals all together...
If thats the case, you shouldn't be too worried about them.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Tex I know you just can't wait to start calling the bad guys Liberals. It appears this is a racial issue though.

Hubris

Platinum Member
Jul 14, 2001
But we're all forgetting one thing; no matter their political affiliation, whoever stole these magazines are CRIMINALS. And EVERY group has criminals.

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
The greatest opponents of free speech over the last twenty years have been the left. Let?s reverse the question and say that the conservative magazine had printed an article that demanded the white culture be liberated from the ?spics?. That organization would have been run out of campus on a rail. I dont see that happening to MECha.
The first amendment only applies to those types of people the left agrees with in lockstep.
Everybody else is a hatemonger.

Jimbo

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
At Cal, we're all about stifling the media. :)

Our school paper--the dailyCal--is always on thin ice because every now and again, they run a conservative piece that goes against "Berkeley values"

• For extremeley minor things, they'll go around campus in the early morning grabbing every dailyCal available
  • For relatively minor things, they'll march on the dailyCal office and send personal email threats to reporters
  • For relatively major things, they'll lobby to have the student union cut off funding to the dailyCal.

And that's why I laugh whenever I hear someone say that Berkeley's a bastion of free speech and though.

Sure it is...you're allowed to think and speak as freely as you want...as long as you totally agree with us ;)

Texmaster

Banned
Jun 5, 2001

<< Well...give us another example besides the Mexicans in Berkely... >>

How about the other times at just this university alone?

Copies of the Patriot were reported stolen twice in the last year, and several copies were burned after the publication of stories that some campus groups deemed controversial. Speeches on campus sponsored by the College Republicans and the Patriot have been cut short twice when audience members became rowdy during the talks.

Or how about the 30 students that kept Laura Bush from speaking at Berkley?

Or the countless schools including the University of Wisonsin who burned papers that david horowitz wrote because he questioned many programs set up for minorities?

Or chanting "bring back the Lions" by a group of lesbian protestors to a group of six quietly praying in the field at UW?

Its out there if you look for it.

<< I dont see how they constitute MANY Liberals...unless theres only a couple dozen Liberals all together...
If thats the case, you shouldn't be too worried about them.
>>

hopefully now you see why.