Benghazi - the gift that keeps on giving

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

White House told of militant claim two hours after Libya attack: emails

(Reuters) - Officials at the White House and State Department were advised two hours after attackers assaulted the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, on September 11 that an Islamic militant group had claimed credit for the attack, official emails show.

The emails, obtained by Reuters from government sources not connected with U.S. spy agencies or the State Department and who requested anonymity, specifically mention that the Libyan group called Ansar al-Sharia had asserted responsibility for the attacks.

Obama knew.

Hope the purchase of that $35 million estate on the North Shore is going to be completed because the Obama's will be ready to occupy it early next year.

Huge turnout at Red Rocks in CO for a Romney/Ryan rally last night where thousands were turned away.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Just because a militant group claims to be behind the attack does not make it true. I would be shocked if a militant group did not claim they were behind that attack. On 9/11/01, there were militants all around the world claiming they were behind the attack. Even in the Palestinian territories. Ironically, Al Qaeda denied they were behind the attack. So, you have to sift through all the noise and find the truth. That takes time.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Seriously? A tragic murder of four Americans, including a U.S. ambassador, is "the gift that keeps on giving"? You realize you are actually cheering for terrorists. You are the worst form of partisan scum, placing your party above everything else. YOU are what is wrong with America today.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
LMAO!!!!!! So pointing out that the current administration lied through their teeth about the situation is rooting for terrorist??
No, you drooling moron, saying it is "the GIFT that keeps on giving" is. I don't expect you to acknowledge this because you're as bad as he is. Rational people only regard terrorist murders as a gift if they're on the same side as the terrorists.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
It's amazing how people will read an article and think it confirms their bias...

What does the article state/indicate form your POV?

The WH was told that this was not a spontaneous demo but a deliberate attack.

Because it was not confirmed that the group was responsible; is the spin that it was not a terrorist attack?

This is what the WH was denying up until the 28th - it was not terror.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
No, you drooling moron, saying it is "the GIFT that keeps on giving" is. I don't expect you to acknowledge this because you're as bad as he is. Rational people only regard terrorist murders as a gift if they're on the same side as the terrorists.

The gift is that the Obama administration lied and every time they come up with an excuse some new information comes out to show that their latest excuse was also a lie. However, we know you will do everything to divert from the fact that the administration are lying through their teeth to save their political hides.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

One needs to read the sarcasm.

Just like Herpes and VD is the gift that keeps on giving.
No one wants it; but it arrived and is difficult to get rid of. Denying that it happened does not eliminate.
Once has to attack the problem head on.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Seriously? A tragic murder of four Americans, including a U.S. ambassador, is "the gift that keeps on giving"? You realize you are actually cheering for terrorists. You are the worst form of partisan scum, placing your party above everything else. YOU are what is wrong with America today.
You're a real hoot! LOL, you've made my day!

Nov 30, 2006
Rational people understand context.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
One needs to read the sarcasm.
No, one really doesn't. The bottom line is Boomerang and his ilk are gleefully exploiting this tragedy to score partisan points. Their sole focus is attacking the Obama administration for their party; their only thought re. the four dead bodies is they make a great stage to stand on. It is vile, hateful partisanship at its worst.

Just like Herpes and VD is the gift that keeps on giving.
No one wants it; but it arrived and is difficult to get rid of. Denying that it happened does not eliminate.
Once has to attack the problem head on.
One need not cheerlead terrorism to call out dishonesty by the Obama administration. There are other, less repugnant approaches.

I am not satisfied with the way the Obama admin reported this. I agree they should have been more forthright in revealing what they knew. I'm also honest enough to recognize there was undoubtedly much initial uncertainty about what happened, that it was natural to assume the attack was in some way related to the video, and that various terrorist organizations are always eager to take credit for every bad thing that happens to the U.S., whether they were actually involved or not. (Such propaganda is good for their business.) Nonetheless, my preference would be for the Obama admin to acknowledge this uncertainty and say they were still investigating.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The gift that keeps on giving is the moronic notion that everything in the Middle East is black or white.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
You're a real hoot! LOL, you've made my day!
Good to know. On your Hoot scale, where '1' represents a death in the family and '10' represents terrorists killing four Americans in an attack, where do I rank? Am I a "gift that keeps on giving" too, or do I fall short of that lofty level of hilarity for you?

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Have to disagree with you here, Bowfinger. This is old news at this point, there's nothing anyone can do to bring those four people back. I think Romney's behavior as this was unfolding was disgraceful, but at this point it's over, and I think it's pretty obvious that the "gift" comment was in reference to the political aspect (though I don't personally see that.)

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Here is my thought and I know I'll get attacked for it.

So the White House fumbled on this one, Obama quasi implicates it as an act of terror in the Rose Garden then the response after that is muddled. Now we now someone CLAIMS to be behind and to put some context on it, later tried to DENY their group did it....so what?

The media and especially fox news already is hyping this up to the max...but I'm unsure if it will resonate with voters, foreign policy just doesn't seem to be on the minds of most Americans. But hell I could be wrong we will see what the rest of America thinks. I just don't think this will be as much of an election game changer as some people are going to hope.

Nov 30, 2006
Thanks, yes I do. The context is scum like Boomerang are happy to exploit the death of four Americans if they can use it to attack their enemies (i.e., Obama and Democrats).
It isn't about Boomerang exploiting the tragic deads of 4 Americans...this is about the dishonesty and lies of our current administration and their apparent attempt to spin it for political reasons...tell me Bowfinger, where is your outrage? Perhaps it's misplaced.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Wondering when articles of impeachment are going to be brought before Obama. After all, we impeached Clinton for much, much less.

I had my doubts when the administration started lolly gagging and circling the wagons for nearly two weeks after the attack. All the while telling us it was spontaneous and had nothing to do with anything but a response to a video.

Guess we know more of the truth now.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
It isn't about Boomerang exploiting the tragic deads of 4 Americans...
Perhaps not to you, but then again, you're on his "side" in seeking any excuse to attack the left, no matter how flimsy or insubstantial.

this is about the dishonesty and lies of our current administration and their apparent attempt to spin it for political reasons...tell me Bowfinger, where is your outrage? Perhaps it's misplaced.

As I already said:
One need not cheerlead terrorism to call out dishonesty by the Obama administration. There are other, less repugnant approaches.

I am not satisfied with the way the Obama admin reported this. I agree they should have been more forthright in revealing what they knew. I'm also honest enough to recognize there was undoubtedly much initial uncertainty about what happened, that it was natural to assume the attack was in some way related to the video, and that various terrorist organizations are always eager to take credit for every bad thing that happens to the U.S., whether they were actually involved or not. (Such propaganda is good for their business.) Nonetheless, my preference would be for the Obama admin to acknowledge this uncertainty and say they were still investigating.
Beyond that, I'll also point out that there is a certain sensitivity about divulging matters related to national security. That tempers my potential outrage.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
It isn't about Boomerang exploiting the tragic deads of 4 Americans...this is about the dishonesty and lies of our current administration and their apparent attempt to spin it for political reasons...tell me Bowfinger, where is your outrage? Perhaps it's misplaced.

Militant groups have falsely claimed credit numerous times in the past. Heck, even though Bin Laden claimed credit for 9/11, many here still think the US Govt did it.

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Militant groups have falsely claimed credit numerous times in the past. Heck, even though Bin Laden claimed credit for 9/11, many here still think the US Govt did it.

I ain't buying that. The email that indicated who took responsibility was only 2 hours after the attack began. You really expect people to believe that an organization that wasn't directly involved found out about the attack and was able to get the word out that they were responsible within 2 hours? All the while, the people who really were responsible sit silent as someone else is taking credit? Really?

We have the best intelligence community in the world and I think they would be hard pressed to act that fast.