Benghazi - the gift that keeps on giving

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JohnnyGage

Feb 18, 2008
This is the real issue once people stop throwing up smoke screens due to the title of the OP's post, why did the Administration try to blame the movie instead of terrorism? I don't get it or understand.

I'm with you it makes no sense to not call it what it was. Not sure what the problem was.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
This is the real issue once people stop throwing up smoke screens due to the title of the OP's post, why did the Administration try to blame the movie instead of terrorism? I don't get it or understand.

Oh so you're angry that Obama linked it to the movie, for which there were protests all over the Muslim world, and not our support for Israel and past support for dictators in the Middle East? Sounds like you want Obama to go on an apology tour and say "It wasn't the movie, it was our chickens coming home to roost".

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Oh so you're angry that Obama linked it to the movie, for which there were protests all over the Muslim world, and not our support for Israel and past support for dictators in the Middle East? Sounds like you want Obama to go on an apology tour and say "It wasn't the movie, it was our chickens coming home to roost".

Sounds like you're a little crazy. :awe:

How about not blaming it on something he knew full well it wasn't. And it still begs the question as to why blame a movie and not terrorism when per these emails he knew it was terrorism? D:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Long before the emails you still had the date glaring you straight in the face. Just sayin.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
What does the article state/indicate form your POV?

The WH was told that this was not a spontaneous demo but a deliberate attack.

Because it was not confirmed that the group was responsible; is the spin that it was not a terrorist attack?

This is what the WH was denying up until the 28th - it was not terror.

No, there was a e-mail of some group taking responsibility. Before that there was an e-mail that the attack was over and a response team was inbound, that was wrong too. There was probably tons of information flying around and most of it was uncertain. This is still just partisan none sense.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Wondering when articles of impeachment are going to be brought before Obama. After all, we impeached Clinton for much, much less.

I had my doubts when the administration started lolly gagging and circling the wagons for nearly two weeks after the attack. All the while telling us it was spontaneous and had nothing to do with anything but a response to a video.

Guess we know more of the truth now.

lol!

I would love for congress to try and impeach Obama...really!

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Sounds like you're a little crazy. :awe:

How about not blaming it on something he knew full well it wasn't. And it still begs the question as to why blame a movie and not terrorism when per these emails he knew it was terrorism? D:

Can you explain why the two are mutually exclusive? Considering how much anger the video created in the Muslim world, what basis do you have for assuming that because it was a terrorist attack, it must have been sparked by something else?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I wonder what the post count would be if Fox wasn't constantly pounding on this as the biggest foreign policy failure since GWB was asleep at the wheel for the 9/11 attack. Of course Fox wouldn't reference that fiasco in their "reporting".

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Except, he didn't refer to the terrorist attacks as a "gift", he's referring to the administrations handling of the attacks.

It wasn't the terrorist attack, it was this administrations attempted cover-up of their screw-up.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
He can afford a $35 million dollar estate, but he goes around calling Mitt Romney an out of touch rich guy?

Come on now, it's not that Obama's rich, it's that he is just real in touch with the poor and middle class, lots of common ground between him and the downtrodden masses

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Come on now, it's not that Obama's rich, it's that he is just real in touch with the poor and middle class, lots of common ground between him and the downtrodden masses

Oh sorry, I forgot he was a man of the people, a champion of welfare and food stamps. My bad :)

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
He can afford a $35 million dollar estate, but he goes around calling Mitt Romney an out of touch rich guy?
Well, the account that I read, that was not from a news source that I would consider credible, stated that half of the purchase price was to be paid by a patron of his, the heir to the Hilton fortune (IIRC). The remainder would be raised by doners.

Believe it or not, this is pretty much the norm. Presidents, when they leave office often enjoy these types of perks.

I never posted it here because it would have been torn apart. The point being, take it with a grain of salt.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
PFLP claimed responsibility for 9-11 right after it happened too. Maybe we should have just run with that and not bothered with all the investigating?

Nah, didn't think so.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
PFLP claimed responsibility for 9-11 right after it happened too. Maybe we should have just run with that and not bothered with all the investigating?

Nah, didn't think so.

The difference being that you didn't have US officials emailing this 2 hours after it happened.

In the case of 9/11, plenty of time had gone by to cook up a story claiming responsibility. That and the fact that everyone (worldwide) knew about it almost immediately after it had happened. Many people saw the second plane hit live on TV.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006

Nah, didn't think so.
I don't think you get it...there was no demonstration in Benghazi protesting an anti-Muslim film that happened to break out into a riot. This story was completely fabricated from the very beginning. All information pointed to an extremely well organized terrorist attack....not an act of mob violence.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
The difference being that you didn't have US officials emailing this 2 hours after it happened.

There were lots of e-mail, some were wrong. The one before the e-mail about taking credit was that the attack was over and troops were in bound, that was incorrect. Should the State Dept. and WH take every piece of information as gospel and report it to the American people ASAP? What good whould that do? No matter what they did and how long it took, the attack was over and the damage was done. No one could have stopped it.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Looks like the cover up is being blown WIDE open. SURPRISE! Obama knew, time for impeachment proceedings or treason hearings.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybe...-watched-benghazi-attacked-and-didnt-respond/

Just one hour after the seven-hour-long terrorist attacks upon the U.S. consulate in Benghazi began, our commander-in-chief, vice president, secretary of defense and their national security team gathered together in the Oval Office listening to phone calls from American defenders desperately under siege and watching real-time video of developments from a drone circling over the site. Yet they sent no military aid that might have intervened in time to save lives.