Being sued by Dell

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skimple

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
Update: As of this past pay period, I have NOT had my date in court yet, and am not scheduled to go to court until the 3rd of January. However, even though I have not yet had my day in court, I have a wage garnishment against me...25% of my NET income. That's $738.10 taken out of my check until it is paid off.

Lesson learned: Pay bills as they are due.

Dude, ouch, sorry to hear that, but you had lots of chances to make it right....

Oct 20, 2005
Update: As of this past pay period, I have NOT had my date in court yet, and am not scheduled to go to court until the 3rd of January. However, even though I have not yet had my day in court, I have a wage garnishment against me...25% of my NET income. That's $738.10 taken out of my check until it is paid off.

Thinly veiled brag thread?

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001

I don't see how you are getting garnished before the court date. I thought garnishment was a result of judgement against you. If collection companies could garnish wages with zero legal involvement that would be insane.

Not accusing you of lying just shocked that that could even happen.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I don't see how you are getting garnished before the court date. I thought garnishment was a result of judgement against you. If collection companies could garnish wages with zero legal involvement that would be insane.

Not accusing you of lying just shocked that that could even happen.

He probably missed an earlier hearing.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Ouch that sucks. How long are they going to be doing this for, and is this all the money you have to pay or are you stuck paying some crazy lawsuit fine on top of all that?

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Nice paycheck.

Gotta say though:

With a nearly $3000 net paycheck (should I assume bi-weekly?), and you're living paycheck to paycheck? You've got bigger problems to worry about in the long term than a wage garnishment order. Consider this a wake up call. Get financial help.

Most Americans are bad at math.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah I can't imagine making 3k per cheque and living pay to pay. I make 1500-2000 and while it's somewhat tight I'm not in any kind of trouble financially and I could easily make changes if I was stuck. I make pretty good money for my location and age. I've been spending lot of money on basement renos though so I do have some credit racked up that I keep paying off only to dip into it again, but if I was making less money I could still manage. I also pay 400/mo extra on the mortgage so if I was really stuck I could change that.

I really need to start long term saving though for an emergency fund. That's my biggest flaw when it comes to finances, I tend to only do short term saving if I want to buy something.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Most Americans are bad at math.

Hell, I admit I'm not really the best person to be listening to for financial advice, but I've learned a lot from my screw ups over the years. You don't need to be good at math to be financially sound. You just need fucking common sense. Take your paycheck, take at least some of it and put it somewhere where you'll forget it. Doesn't matter if you invest it (optimal) or let it stagnate (safety), just put it somewhere. You forget about it, it accumulates, and when you NEED it, it's there. In the meantime you learn to live within your means, avoid taking credit extension that aren't necessary and more importantly that you can't repay within those means. It's really not that complicated.

As I said, it doesn't really even take math skills. It's more willpower than anything else. Something which a lot of people lack.

gamefreakgcb

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
Hell, I admit I'm not really the best person to be listening to for financial advice, but I've learned a lot from my screw ups over the years. You don't need to be good at math to be financially sound. You just need fucking common sense. Take your paycheck, take at least some of it and put it somewhere where you'll forget it. Doesn't matter if you invest it (optimal) or let it stagnate (safety), just put it somewhere. You forget about it, it accumulates, and when you NEED it, it's there. In the meantime you learn to live within your means, avoid taking credit extension that aren't necessary and more importantly that you can't repay within those means. It's really not that complicated.

As I said, it doesn't really even take math skills. It's more willpower than anything else. Something which a lot of people lack.

More even than Math, common sense is especially lacking these days. The "keeping up the Jonses" is the destroyer of even the best of people.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
With a nearly $3000 net paycheck (should I assume bi-weekly?), and you're living paycheck to paycheck? You've got bigger problems to worry about in the long term than a wage garnishment order. Consider this a wake up call. Get financial help.

He never stated his financial situation. I am assuming like me, just inside 6 figures. I have 3 dependents now and only one income (mine) and it's tight. I am not living pay check to pay check, but there isn't much left over.

Nov 25, 2013
He never stated his financial situation. I am assuming like me, just inside 6 figures. I have 3 dependents now and only one income (mine) and it's tight. I am not living pay check to pay check, but there isn't much left over.

That's reasonable and you must still be using your salary somewhat reasonably though. Me and my wife don't even clear 70k a year annually combined and we aren't paycheck to paycheck.

Salary > Bills

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Stupid enough to finance a computer.

LMAO I remember our first computer was financed, soooo a stupid idea. Though in the 2000's it was more common given how expensive they were. It cost about $3,000, and it was outdated 6 months later, took like 5 years to pay off. I build my own computer for 1/3 of the price a year later and my parents were still paying for the old machine while my own computer was much faster and paid off. :awe: Ahh that good ol AMD 2000+. It went to my sister but eventually came back to me. I need to fire that bad boy up one day. Though I think it's missing like half the parts, if I even still have it. I'd have to check my computer graveyard.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
I got sent to collections by Dell too.

I received their bill late with only a few days before the deadline. I sent off full payment the next day. I thought it was still okay because there were still like 5 days before it was due. Dell claimed they processed my payment one day late and charged me a late fee of something like $21.

I protested saying that I paid as soon as I could, demanded to know when they actually received it and explained that I shouldn't be blamed that they are slow in processing their payments. I learned that Dell doesn't care when they actually received the payment; they care when they processed it. Therefore, Dell has an incentive to slow down the processing of payments to exhort these bogus charges.

They refused to remove it and I refused to pay it on principle. It went into collections, and that negative mark was enough to delay my home loan application. I had to threaten Dell with legal action, before they agreed to remove that charge. Giant PITA, but I was ready to go nuclear over their bogus charge.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
That's reasonable and you must still be using your salary somewhat reasonably though. Me and my wife don't even clear 70k a year annually combined and we aren't paycheck to paycheck.

Salary > Bills

it always has been: does not matter how much you make. what matters is how much is left over.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

Yes he did, I even fucking quoted it right above what you quoted out of my god damn post. Learn to read fucktard.

And we already know you don't know how to live within your means.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

I received their bill late with only a few days before the deadline. I sent off full payment the next day. I thought it was still okay because there were still like 5 days before it was due. Dell claimed they processed my payment one day late and charged me a late fee of something like $21.

I protested saying that I paid as soon as I could, demanded to know when they actually received it and explained that I shouldn't be blamed that they are slow in processing their payments. I learned that Dell doesn't care when they actually received the payment; they care when they processed it. Therefore, Dell has an incentive to slow down the processing of payments to exhort these bogus charges.

They refused to remove it and I refused to pay it on principle. It went into collections, and that negative mark was enough to delay my home loan application. I had to threaten Dell with legal action, before they agreed to remove that charge. Giant PITA, but I was ready to go nuclear over their bogus charge.

That sucks, and is one of the reasons I prefer preauthorized payments for everything.

I would just have paid it though, no use in protesting it as it's only going to hurt you in the end. Big corporations ALWAYS win.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Debt collectors often have a hard time proving they are are rightful owners of your debt. For instance, they misspelled your name on the complaint. You can just go in there say it's not yours and show that you will fight. You can then speak with the attorney on the side and say you will settle if they drop the case. Get this shit in writing. Offer 60% of the outstanding balance and they will probably accept.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

All our bills are done via the banking bill pay system. I then have evidence as to when the bill was paid and the system has a log of when it was received. As to when they (receiver) chooses to post it; that becomes their headache if they try to slap late fees on me. I have the evidence that the funds were in their possession.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Ah the good old days. I used to have these problems, but don't any more. Is it because I make more money? NOPE! Is it because the pain made me wise? YUP!