Discussion Beginners Music Keyboard.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
That's a good idea.

You need to plink around on different types of keyboards to see what feels right. The only problem is that those kinds of shops usually only carry the more expensive electric pianos but maybe this particular one is different.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
That's a good idea.

You need to plink around on different types of keyboards to see what feels right. The only problem is that those kinds of shops usually only carry the more expensive electric pianos but maybe this particular one is different.
Just came back from the music shop, they only have the YPT 250, comes with the stand, Power adapter, and pedal. But it comes with 2 months of lessons. Not a bad price at all with those lessons included.

Reactions: brianmanahan

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
@dasherHampton I'm seriously considering getting this from the shop due to the included lessons. I can always buy an intermediate level model later.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Seems like a decent deal to me. It'll be much better than trying to figure everything out yourself.

Just remember: The teacher should be pretty strict about posture, at least in the beginning, and (more importantly) be honest with them about what you want out of keyboard playing and what you're willing to give.

Don't tell them "I'm going to practice 2 hours a day" when you're really only up for 20 minute a day sessions. As long as you two come to a real understanding your chance of success will be much higher.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Seems like a decent deal to me. It'll be much better than trying to figure everything out yourself.

Just remember: The teacher should be pretty strict about posture, at least in the beginning, and (more importantly) be honest with them about what you want out of keyboard playing and what you're willing to give.

Don't tell them "I'm going to practice 2 hours a day" when you're really only up for 20 minute a day sessions. As long as you two come to a real understanding your chance of success will be much higher.

i used to be good about posture, but now i play like glenn gould

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016

Well I'm planning on practicing an hour day at least, more if I will up to it. If I can't do that, I will make myself do 30 min per day.

If I can have fun with this, then I will using the keyboard regularly. Unfortunately since it is a basic beginners model and depending how proficient I get, I will need to upgrade sooner then I like.