Be careful where you stand when teaching your teen to drive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: badmouse
Originally posted by: Murphy Durphy
That really sucks.

But a woman teaching another woman how to drive? Isn't that like inbreeding?
You guys are sick

Where are the MODS when you need them?

Dodging women drivers?
:thumbsdown:

Oh now stop it. The jokes over the poor girl and her mother were bad, but this was gold and you know it. :p

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: badmouse
Originally posted by: Murphy Durphy
That really sucks.

But a woman teaching another woman how to drive? Isn't that like inbreeding?
You guys are sick

Where are the MODS when you need them?

Dodging women drivers?
:thumbsdown:

Oh now stop it. The jokes over the poor girl and her mother were bad, but this was gold and you know it. :p
it was a banker's joke.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Baked
Originally posted by: LoKe
Darwin got te wrong one.

Pretty sure Darwin got the right one. Who the fvck stands between cars when parallel parking?

Nope. The mother has already had kids. The daughter (hopefully) has not.

If the bloodline continues, Darwin missed.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
I just understand how in the hell you drive into your mother while learning to drive. Was the girl autistic? And she was frickin parallel parking. I don't remember driving over 1mph while paralell parking.

Reading comprehension is a good thing:

Police believed the girl may have hit the gas pedal instead of the brake.

And?
Unless the mother was quite a distance away, she would still be going slowly when she hit her. Like probably <20mph.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
you guys are either cruel, amoral, or have never had a good relationship with your mother. aside from the fact that a perfectly innocent woman is dead, can you fathom what it must be like, to live for the rest of your life knowing that you had killed your own mother? joking about something like this shows the lack of detachment to reality that many of you have.

=|

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Lonyo
I just understand how in the hell you drive into your mother while learning to drive. Was the girl autistic? And she was frickin parallel parking. I don't remember driving over 1mph while paralell parking.

And?
Unless the mother was quite a distance away, she would still be going slowly when she hit her. Like probably <20mph.

5mph is fast enough to knock someone down and roll over them.

I'll tell you what. You stand in front of my car, say 10 ft. And I'll floor the gas and see what happens to you.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Lonyo

And?

5mph is fast enough to knock someone down and roll over them.

I'll tell you what. You stand in front of my car, say 10 ft. And I'll floor the gas and see what happens to you.

yeah but i do not think lonyo is dumb enough to stand where he would get hit. I feel for the girl but damn this could have been avoided.

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: theNEOone
you guys are either cruel, amoral, or have never had a good relationship with your mother. aside from the fact that a perfectly innocent woman is dead, can you fathom what it must be like, to live for the rest of your life knowing that you had killed your own mother? joking about something like this shows the lack of detachment to reality that many of you have.

=|

I'm confused... would harsh, cruel comments like these not explicitly imply a "detachment to reality"?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: blakeatwork

=|

I'm confused... would harsh, cruel comments like these not explicitly imply a "detachment to reality"?
Doesn't reading about the event on the internet instead of living through it in person invoke a certain amount of dettachment?

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Baked
Originally posted by: LoKe
Darwin got te wrong one.

Pretty sure Darwin got the right one. Who the fvck stands between cars when parallel parking?

That's what I was thinking - she must have been standing between the cars. That's stupid in any case - much more so with a beginning driver.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

=|

im not detached from reality
but i do find humor in the fact that you can actually screw up between gas and brake pedals. bleh
but beyond that slight bit of humor, the fact that someone didn't live and it wasn't on account of themselves doing it, then its incredibly sad and I feel bad for the poor girl who will forever be haunted by her own mistake and likely never want to drive.
darwin awards are funny because they are killing themselves through ways that proves their sheer stupidity. its bettering the human race, helping us evolve into and even smarter creature by not passing on their genes of stupidity. its when people innocent of the stupidity crime are killed, it gets sad. and its sad for those people who are related to the people who died for the darwin award, and i feel empathy for them. but not for the people who did it to themselves.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Mwilding

=|

Doesn't reading about the event on the internet instead of living through it in person invoke a certain amount of dettachment?

Yeah, but I get the impression that the people on this forum would make the same comments at her funeral, so...

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Why is everyone such a tight a$$? Come on, there is no one here that thinks this situation is entirely funny, and everyone of us can be saddended in one way or another as a human being about something like this. Lighten up people.

Dec 10, 2005
It's sad that the person died, but wtf would you be standing between cars that are parallel parking? If you are teaching someone to drive, your best off sitting inside the car with the driver.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
That's like 5 mins from my aunt's house. Franklin lakes is like right off 287....geez.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003

=|

I think Neo screwed up his post. Perhaps he meant to say "shows lack of attachment to reality" or "shows a detachment to reality . . ."

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Mermaidman

=|

I think Neo screwed up his post. Perhaps he meant to say "shows lack of attachment to reality" or "shows a detachment to reality . . ."
yes i did, fixing post.

=|

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
you guys are either cruel, amoral, or have never had a good relationship with your mother. aside from the fact that a perfectly innocent woman is dead, can you fathom what it must be like, to live for the rest of your life knowing that you had killed your own mother? joking about something like this shows the detachment to reality that many of you have.

=|

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Eh...not funny. It would have been ripe for a good laugh if the mom just...broke her foot or something.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
you guys are either cruel, amoral, or have never had a good relationship with your mother. aside from the fact that a perfectly innocent woman is dead, can you fathom what it must be like, to live for the rest of your life knowing that you had killed your own mother? joking about something like this shows the lack of detachment from reality that many of you have.

=|