BBC: "Drugs for ADHD 'not the answer'"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Fadardo
I can honestly say that ritalin screwed up my life. When I started taking it at seven it turned me from an extroverted outgoing kid into an introverted super cautious and passive individual over the course of a year or 2.
Maybe if I had stopped taking it after a year or 2 i would have reverted back to my original extroverted state but I keep taking it for a total of 14 years until I was 21. The meds have perminently hampered my ability to socialize with others.

Besides stunting your grow the meds also made lots of long time users depressed. THe rates of depression for long time users is extremely high, I don't know how high but every single long time user of ritalin or other adhd meds I have met in real life was taking anti depressants during some point of their teens or adulthood.

I was taking anti depressants from 15 until 22. I kinda had a mental breakdown and fell apart, and dropped out of university because of my inability to connect and socialize with others, no matter how many social clubs I joined or people I attempted to befriend I simply wasn't able to form a bond.

This is introversion and disconnect from other an effect quite a few people taking ritalin experience/notice soon after taking the meds. Only thing though is those I have spoken to took it later in life (teens) as opposed to me at 7yrs old, and they didn't stay on it very long.

I wonder why there are practically zero studies showing how the long term ritalin users fair later in life after taking ritalin for a dozen years.
My guess is the medical establishment has caught a glimpse of what such studies might detail, and is trying to avoid them, instead focusing on the miracles the drug performs in the short term basis inside the classroom.
We may never know how much of your experience was because of the drugs or other factors, but it is a cautionary tale. I would be extremely reluctant to medicate my child for over a decade unless they had a clear and obvious problem such as a weak heart that, by God and come hell or high water, they needed meds for or else seriously risked a heart attack. Psychological disorders are certainly nebulous much of the time and the side effects of many drugs are not well known, even when they pass FDA muster. Psych drugs do have a place, though, and they've unquivocally helped many people lead otherwise positive lives, but all cases will vary.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
ADHD drugs are FAR too over-prescribed, but this is just one small sliver of our society's "FIX IT QUICK" mentality. Instead of spending years teaching the child how to harness this (dis)ability properly and letting them keep their imagination unfettered, we throw some pills at it and turn them into zombies. Trust me, I know what these drugs do. I took anti-depressant/anti-hyperactive drugs for about 6-7 months (how exactly one pill can both treat depression and hyperactivity is beyond me). Instead of being the interesting, fun-loving, amusing person I usually was, I turned into an automatic-man. I turned to habit and focused on one thing at a time, and I felt DEPRESSED. Wow, how about that? It was absolutely useless and it took 2 and half years for me to completely recover from the effects of whatever the fuck chemicals had been in my system.

I see this shit more and more, too... It's INSANELY easy to get medication for diseases that you either don't have, don't need to fix, or could easily help on your own. I'm not going to get into that, though, because I could write a book.

A lot of people that I know who have ADHD or ADD are incredibly intelligent people, and without their ability to let their minds roam and be genuinely original, they would probably be unhappy and un-interesting, and most definitely would be working less impressive jobs.

Anyway... This is just a needle in the proverbial haystack that is our pharmaceutical industry/culture. It'll get worse before it gets better.

Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: Lothar
Originally posted by: shortylickens
I think boot camp is a much better cure for the ADD, but I also believe an all volunteer military is the most effective, so I cant advocate shoving them in against their will.
:roll:
Given the time and depth involved in your response I can see you believe you have it as well.

Go back to your bunk and sleep, mr. jack-boot.

Fadardo

Jun 10, 2007
Originally posted by: manowar821
ADHD drugs are FAR too over-prescribed, but this is just one small sliver of our society's "FIX IT QUICK" mentality. Instead of spending years teaching the child how to harness this (dis)ability properly and letting them keep their imagination unfettered, we throw some pills at it and turn them into zombies. Trust me, I know what these drugs do. I took anti-depressant/anti-hyperactive drugs for about 6-7 months (how exactly one pill can both treat depression and hyperactivity is beyond me). Instead of being the interesting, fun-loving, amusing person I usually was, I turned into an automatic-man. I turned to habit and focused on one thing at a time, and I felt DEPRESSED. Wow, how about that? It was absolutely useless and it took 2 and half years for me to completely recover from the effects of whatever the fuck chemicals had been in my system.

I see this shit more and more, too... It's INSANELY easy to get medication for diseases that you either don't have, don't need to fix, or could easily help on your own. I'm not going to get into that, though, because I could write a book.

A lot of people that I know who have ADHD or ADD are incredibly intelligent people, and without their ability to let their minds roam and be genuinely original, they would probably be unhappy and un-interesting, and most definitely would be working less impressive jobs.

Anyway... This is just a needle in the proverbial haystack that is our pharmaceutical industry/culture. It'll get worse before it gets better.

THose symptoms you mentioned are exactly what I have. I'm telling you its turned me into a 1 track robot. I have trouble functioning independently and thinking on my own. My mind is wired now to only perform well with others making my decisions for me.

In a way I have not core beliefs or values of my own I'm so disconnected from myslef. All I follow or do is what other believe or say. And the only reason I do it is because thats what others do.

I am so screwed up mentally now I'm like a child or young adolescent in several regards. I've had zero social life since my mental collapse and despite having worked at several jobs with people my age I have never formed 1 bond or friendship. If things don't get better in the next year or 2 i can see myself leaving this plane.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Interesting thread on a subject I know little about. Hopefully someone with knowledge in the area responds to the previous poster on assistance?

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005

THose symptoms you mentioned are exactly what I have. I'm telling you its turned me into a 1 track robot. I have trouble functioning independently and thinking on my own. My mind is wired now to only perform well with others making my decisions for me.

In a way I have not core beliefs or values of my own I'm so disconnected from myslef. All I follow or do is what other believe or say. And the only reason I do it is because thats what others do.

I am so screwed up mentally now I'm like a child or young adolescent in several regards. I've had zero social life since my mental collapse and despite having worked at several jobs with people my age I have never formed 1 bond or friendship. If things don't get better in the next year or 2 i can see myself leaving this plane.

I seriously hope you would reconsider such thoughts :(

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
I dunno if I had ADHD. But the fact was I flunked all my tests at school because I could never concentrate on stuff and even if I did, not for too long. But I did get tagged as a dullard because of my poor academic record.

It sucks to live in a third world country like I do. Ritalin or not, be glad for professional help, the world can be hell if we try fighting our inner demons alone by ourselves.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Here is a funny thing. I have great difficulty even concentrating on things I love doing. I cannot watch a movie for more than fifteen minutes on a single sitting, even though I may love it completely. :(

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
Story Link

Treating children who have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) with drugs is not effective in the long-term, research has shown.

A study obtained by the BBC's Panorama programme says drugs such as Ritalin and Concerta work no better than therapy after three years of treatment.

Since this topic comes up on occasion, I figured that I would mention it here.

It seems to me that the basis of this study is flawed. ADD/ADHD is something that most children either grow out of or learn to cope with as adults (or some combination). The medications exist largely to get the symptoms down to a more manageable level. Because of this any study you want to create will say that the medication is not effective for children in the long-term because it is not meant to be.

*DISCLAIMER: I am not a licensed psychologist, these are just my thoughts*

From what I've learned in my classes, the best treatment tends to be a combination of psychotherapy with the implementation of psychotherapy in the form of token reward systems. It is also important to help teach the parent to be prepared for the difficulties they will have in raising the child.

Children with severe ADHD are hampered in every routine of their daily lives. It is impossible for them to focus on a task at hand, which understandingly makes learning difficult. Certain drugs do work remarkably well at addressing the physiological concerns (there is a physiological deficit within certain areas of the brain, these drugs stimulate blood flow to these areas of the brain). However drugs are not always a 100% solution, nor do I think they should be.

As for the reasons why these medications are overprescribed or the illness is overdiagnosed, something like 80% of psychotropic medications are prescribed by General Practitioners, not by Psychologists (who have prescription rights in very few states). GPs have very little specific training in psychology but can give away this drugs at will.

The methods for screening and diagnosing ADHD are much better today than they were even 20 years ago. So yes, ADHD is diagnosed a great deal more often now than it was in the past. That is a product of more effective screening abilities. I would be hesitant to say it is overdiagnosed.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Originally posted by: Braznor

If you are seriously feeling this way you should seek professional help.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Robor
Interesting thread on a subject I know little about. Hopefully someone with knowledge in the area responds to the previous poster on assistance?

There is nothing wrong with going back to the psychiatrist to report one's experience with the drug. That would probably be the best course of action right now. Along with that sticking close to loved ones and talking through the experience when needed... making sure to pick the appropriate people to share with. some people have trouble dealing with the difficult experiences of others, and can express this difficulty in unhelpful ways.