BB hit 600 today.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I am a casual fan.. Just kinda getting into it a little more this year :)

But I just glanced over Bonds' stats over at www.mlb.com.. And I just took a look at seasons with most games played.. the closest was 1996 and 1993.. both seasons had more games played.. at least 41 more At-Bats.. and at most, 14 fewer Strike-Outs.. And both of those seasons he made just slightly over half the home runs he made in 2001...

It just seems to convienient that one year they are worried about a lack of interest, then all of a sudden, the next season theres a HUGE media frenzy over this so called 'Home Run Race'.

Im not denying hes a good player.. thats probably why 'they picked him'.. ;)

You can say theres no fixing in baseball all you want.. Just like you can say WWE Wrestling is real all you want. :D

Edit: Barry is about on track to have his second best home-run year.. with 49 home-runs.. thats great, but significantly less then his magical 73 last year..

Aug 14, 2001
Sure, Bonds may not be the nicest guy out there, but I guess it's arguable that he's not even the 'nastiest' guy on his own team (Kent)! But like him or not, he's one of the greatest players EVER.

Just look at some of his numbers this year:

.565 OBP! :Q :Q
1.373 OPS! :Q
.449 EQA :Q (next closest is Thome at .351)
94.5 RARP! (next closest is AROD at 62.3)

That is simply amazing.

Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: DaZ
Edit: Barry is about on track to have his second best home-run year.. with 49 home-runs.. thats great, but significantly less then his magical 73 last year..

OK, but he's only projected to have 397 at bats so far...anyways, it's not like he's lost a ton of power, his SLG is still within decent range of last year's SLG.

Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Passner
I just want to add that Bonds is my favorite player, along with Green, Greenberg and Youkilis. .

Who is Youkilis? Are you talking about the Red Sox AA prospect or someone else?

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Aquaman
Face it......... they are all on the juice :p They may get some fame now but when they get older they will pay the price.

Cheers,
Aquaman

It's not the players that are juiced.........it's the BALL. Does anyone really think that Bonds, Sosa, Mcguire, etc. are really THAT much stronger than they were 10 years ago when they weren't hitting 60 homers? Even if they all all on 'roids, it couldn't make THAT much difference in EVERYBODY overnight.

Nope, the only thing that could make ALL major leaguers start hitting more homers is juicing the ball. Now if it was only 2-3 players, then I could believe that the steriods were the difference. And I'm not saying those guys aren't using them, but I don't think every player is, and home runs, as a whole, are up for the last few years.

Passner

Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
Originally posted by: Passner
I just want to add that Bonds is my favorite player, along with Green, Greenberg and Youkilis. .

Who is Youkilis? Are you talking about the Red Sox AA prospect or someone else?

Yes I am. I think he has a very bright future and he does so many things well.