Bayonetta - one crazy bit... I mean witch.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Anyone playing this yet? I got it in the post earlier today and holy sh!t - this game is beyond awesome! I was in love with the demo, but it's getting better and better! And what's the best thing about it is that you really have to pay attention and be quick with your reflexes - especially dodging is very important. As far as the history - well, I'm kinda lost right now, but I'm sure I'll wrap my head around it eventually. Bayonetta is very over the top, the other characters too - but it's so enjoyable. Combos are very well made, very intense and very varied. And you gotta learn to play the game and not just button-mash to victory (at least on Normal - highest available difficulty at start).

The visuals are stunning too - and it's an Xbox (I was never impressed with console graphics) - there's slight screen tearing sometimes, but the framerate is very solid and it looks absolutely amazing (the only gripe, as usual, a bit floaty dynamic shadows).

Cutscenes are a bit weird, they look like film strips with hardly any movement and a lot of talking - the blinking (like an old movie) is kinda annoying but I got used to it pretty fast.

All in all I'd rate it a 9.5/10 - almost perfect. I'm sure I'll be replaying this game many many times :D

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
It looks fun.. but still nothing I'd spend 60$ on. I'll wait till it drops to ~>30$ :)

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
I almost picked it up for $35 a few days ago...I held back though because I wasn't a big DMC fan and I understand it's nearly identical gameplay style. Looks impressive though.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
It looks fun.. but still nothing I'd spend 60$ on. I'll wait till it drops to ~>30$ :)

This is how I feel. It looks great, but it doesn't have enough content for me to grab it immediately. I'll put it on the backburner.

PimpJuice

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2005
I actually logged in just to post about this game. I rented this game just yesterday and played it for a few hours. I definitely recommend it. The story is all over the place, but the game is well made and loads of fun. I hope to complete the game on normal this week and, if I had known how fun it was, I would have had no problems buying this game.

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
I beat it and it is awesome. Working on hard mode now and unlocking more stuff. Found an awesome legit way to farm halos and bought everything that is available to me so far.

Game is so awesomely ridiculous. I hope it sells well enough for a sequel but I'm skeptical.

PimpJuice

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2005
I beat it and it is awesome. Working on hard mode now and unlocking more stuff. Found an awesome legit way to farm halos and bought everything that is available to me so far.

Game is so awesomely ridiculous. I hope it sells well enough for a sequel but I'm skeptical.

please share the farming secret!

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005

If you do inform us about the farming trick and it involves spoilers of any kind, please use the spoiler tags :) Thanks! I wouldn't want anything to spoil this game for me. It's so amazing :D

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
First you need Durga, just on your hands is fine. Make sure you are using them in the blue electricity mode. Buy Gaze of Despair and Selene's Light. I think you can still get a lot if you only use Selene's Light but much better with both.

Then go to Chapter 7. It is a boss only level. Spam the shit out of the punch button and try not to break combo. If you get knocked too far back you can shoot until you get closer. This isn't really the phase that matters anyway.

Keep fighting him just spam the button. After you destroy his arms you gotta break the 3 orbs on his body. So what you do is just spam the punch button and when 1 is destroyed, you panther run to the next and you'll keep your combo. When those are all destroyed run to the head and do the same thing. You'll still have to dodge attacks but try not to break combo. Even if you die you'll get a ton though so don't waste potions.

You'll get over 1million halos in 5 minutes once you run through and learn how to do it a couple times. That is on normal

PimpJuice

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2005
Thanks bl4ckfl4g. Not that I'll use it, but its nice to know in case I get into a time crunch since I've only rented the game.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
What level is in the demo? The level has a clocktower falling.

It's kinda the Prologue... kinda, as it's made in a different way in the full game and you're not alone.

You might want to wait for someone who finished the game to reply, as I am a bit short on time and still didn't do it. Perhaps it's also in a different part of the game?

Last edited:

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Holy shit this game is hard...

The fire/electricity duo encounters always piss me to no end. I can die in under 10s if I'm unlucky. I'm in chapter XV I think - Isle del Sol and climbing up an elevator "shaft" - and this miniboss here is just too much for me - no idea how I should survive long enough to take him down. Seriously, those two things he slams at the shaft the whole time - even dodging isn't fast enough most of the time. And I need to time the dodge when his head tries to slam me, so I get a few seconds of hitting on him. Died like 20 times and
I need a break from this game... maybe next weekend.

Also, I got two incomplete records, so if I manage to finish it and not get overly pissed, plenty of looking around awaits me. I have the katana, the whip, the fire/electricity paws and the shotgun. and the standard pistols. What am I missing? I'm guessing two more weapons as I got two incomplete records.

Still, most of the time the game is a blast :)

Last edited:

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
Some of the records you get for beating on hard and infinite climax. You are missing 1 weapon though. Same one I don't have.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Also, the levels and bosses are just crazy! A lot of the stuff your witch is pulling is totally insane! The spinning, jumping, dodging, running...
the panther transformation is soooo awesome! though I just don't "feel" the other two, the bats and the crow.
. Still, the environments beat DMC without a single bit of doubt - everything is moving, the game is so fast and so fluent - each time you get hit you know it's your fault as you can dodge, break or change a combo at pretty much any time. Though the enemies that hit a larger area are sometimes a pain
like the mini-boss I'm at now. Also, the 3 ships with missiles and those holding rings a few chapters earlier... jeez, I was ready to throw my controller through the wall :D Managed to kill them in the end...
. This game is all about dodging... Still in doubt or don't really know if the combo you're thinking about will connect? Dodge some more :D

The other weapons are really nice, you can switch them mid-combo without any problems. Also, combos are so intense and so crazy! And you get a counter on each loading screen of how many times you used the available combos :D Nice touch!

Anyway, awesome game, if frustrating on rare occasions. After two days of fun with it I'd give it a 9/10. The rare frustration took it down half a notch - still highly recommended :)

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
OMG this game is fun. A must buy (or at least rent) for 2010!! I go through games slowly anymore, so I just bought it. I'm only 2-3 levels in, but it is crazy fun so far.

I have the 360 version, which is supposed to be superior to the PS3 version. The amazing thing to me is that the screen is often filled with enemies, stuff breaking, and placed in a huge environment; and there are no graphical glitches or slowdowns in framerates. Very slick game.

Last edited:

PimpJuice

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2005
I'm currently on Chapter VIII and recently just finished Alfheim #12.....man that was a bitch for some reason, at least for me.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Beat the game last week and found it massively entertaining. Me and a friend are still working on getting all the extras

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
I'm surprised more people aren't discussing Bayonetta, because it's a fantastic action title with some really nice showcase boss battles. The controls are tight and responsive, and the game is ridiculously over the top in all of its supermodel design glory. My only real complaint with the game is how ridiculously bad I am at it.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Been playing it, absolutely friggin awsome game. GF will be buying it this weekend.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
i guess i can see the appeal, but im not that into the game. too much going on, kind of a button smasher and corny at time (at least while i was playing the demo). to each his own; i just started mass effect and am having a good time with that game.

PimpJuice

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2005
i guess i can see the appeal, but im not that into the game. too much going on, kind of a button smasher and corny at time (at least while i was playing the demo). to each his own; i just started mass effect and am having a good time with that game.

I'm now on Chapter 13 on normal......this game is great.

I tried mass effect and got bored and didn't care about any of the characters and never really felt like I was playing a game, but thats just me :)

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Yeah, the game is absolutely amazing :) Pure, unrestricted fun :D If slightly annoying at times :p But probably because I tend to suck at such games when I play them too much and get cocky with the mobs :p

Maybe people enjoy it that much that they're still playing and don't have time to reply here? ;)

R Nilla

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2006
Maybe people enjoy it that much that they're still playing and don't have time to reply here? ;)

I haven't gotten Bayonetta yet but I'm looking forward to playing it. I'll probably wait until after I dig into ME2 and hopefully I won't let it get lost in all of the other early 2010 releases.