Battletech

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Still can't get it to play. Seems AMD and unity aren't friends.

Tried modifying the TdrDelay and that didn't work. Then I backed rez down to 1440, finished first mission but then crashed on 2nd.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just wondering if you are sure it is graphics card/drivers related and not some other issue (like memory, which I had). How does it crash? Is there any slowdown prior to the crash? Are their audio distortions? Does it simply go blank with just the mouse showing?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Yes, just a mouse pointer unless I'm in windowed mode and then I'll have the outline of the window box but interior will just be solid white.

After it occurs I will have 2 of these in the event viewer.

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Brought up task manager to watch while I tried to troubleshoot/play tonight and she kept the gpu at 80-99% the entire time the game was on., Even when it was just a scene on the dropship.

And my machines have 16gb in them, watching the memory the game sits at between 3.8 and 5 while running and total used hangs out just under 50%.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Played a bit today on my other machine. Have been doing story missions to a new planet then regular planet ones till I have enough money to do a couple argo upgrades and have enough funds to move to the next one. Have dragon as my only heavy and every thing pretty much stock. Tried to do the take over the ammo depot story mission and got wiped twice. May have to finally play around with modding my mechs.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, you need some decent LRMs for that mission. I have yet to use a dragon because, quite frankly, they suck. You are better off with a centurion, Wolverine, griffin, or even a vindicator. Max out the armor on wolverine and griffin. Drop the PPC on the griffin and put in 3-4 medium lasers (you might need to drop a heatsink or two as well). It will run hot if you fire both the lasers and the LRM, but should have enough to handle all 4 lasers at once. Essentially do the same thing to the Wolverine. With their speed, and high armor, they are your spotters. You should also use them for physical attacks to cut down all the evasion that enemies might have (and it will let cool your heat from when you cycle in the LRM's along with the lasers). Having 2 of the wolverines/griffin in your lance with 2 other mechs setup to use LRM15s and/or LRM20s with just 1 or 2 medium lasers (trading some back armor to cut weight for the weapons and ammo since you will be keeping them towards the back anyway to just blast out LRMs) will help a lot. You need to use the contour of the land as cover in that mission, only having 1 or 2 mechs as spotters which are using high evasion to keep from being destroyed. Don't be afraid of using 1 or 2 of the ammo dumps as a bomb, especially if you can catch 3 enemy mechs in the blast.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I've had better luck with mech salvage recently. Bought one of the griffins from the story planet, good sniper but kinda limited if you don't modify it. Have 2 wolverines, 1 of each type along with a 4 ML quickdraw. Almost got an orion, had it as final target of a mission and killed it through pilot damage. Had all 3 chunks show up as salvage but could only select 2 and didn't get the third via random.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Played a bit today on my other machine. Have been doing story missions to a new planet then regular planet ones till I have enough money to do a couple argo upgrades and have enough funds to move to the next one. Have dragon as my only heavy and every thing pretty much stock. Tried to do the take over the ammo depot story mission and got wiped twice. May have to finally play around with modding my mechs.

That mission is rough. I went in a with a heavy lance (Orion, Thunderbolt, Dragon, Shadow Hawk) and finished on the first try taking heavy damage. Lost the Thunderbolt, it was just starting to take internal damage when it got its head punched off by a Griffin that was otherwise crippled (ugh). Dragon took internal damage and Shadow Hawk was on the verge of it. Orion was my LRM boat, and only took minor damage.

You definitely need to leverage the ammo crates in that mission. I waited until late in the mission to hit one, and that blast completely took out an untouched Cicada and ripped 80% of the armor off a Dragon. IIRC you get no reward for saving all of the crates, so you can destroy 2-3 without losing a bonus.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
So is it a bug or are you supposed to take on 2 Lances at once? I go in to kill the main targets and then reinforcements more in and flank. It ends up my 4 med mechs versus 6 med and 2 light.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
So is it a bug or are you supposed to take on 2 Lances at once? I go in to kill the main targets and then reinforcements more in and flank. It ends up my 4 med mechs versus 6 med and 2 light.

No, pretty standard Battle format.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
No bug. You need to learn mech tactics. It is why I discussed in the previous post about maxing the armor on specific mechs in the lance (mediums that you should have by that point), and their specific weapons. They are faster than most mediums and have decent melee damage. You use them as your spotters, with pilots that have the first piloting skill, and either gunnery or the guts tracks (multitarget is good for when you are closing distance on the enemy, using the medium lasers on a close target with the LRMs on something that you need to start weakening at range, but this character is going to take damage and is more likely to get injured, so the guts track can be really helpful as well). Once you are in melee range, the idea is to move max distance, and melee a mech. This blows all the enemy mech's evasion, and then you have all the other mechs in your lance pound it that same round. If it is a light it is dead, if it is a medium or heavy, it will usually be falling to the ground from becoming unsteady... Rinse and repeat (just make sure you don't stand still to use a second melee on the target unless there are no other enemies that can shoot at you where you are standing). You want to use your evasion to keep them from hitting you, and with two mechs that can do this, you swap them in and out of melee range (which typically is what the AI tends to shoot at unless it has a better/weaker target). And in melee range, there are times where you can jump behind them and unload on rear armor, gutting some mechs with a called shot (just make sure you are not exposing too much of your rear armor, but it is maxed on those mechs and pretty sturdy).

I didn't lose a single mech on that mission using this. Sure I had a ton of armor damage and was into criticals on the two brawlers (one lost a leg, but my jump jets are in the mid and chest slots because of that, so I can still easily get out of range, and be useful with the LRMs even from the rear). My mech with LRM15's ran out of ammo on the second to last enemy mech (only 1 ton of ammo), but my LRM20 mech has 2 tons and was just running out on the last mech (had about 3 shots left if I recall).

Last edited:

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

Opponents in most missions are semi-random (not sure about story missions) and a mission's true difficulty may be higher or lower than what you're told. There isn't a great job communicating it, but mission descriptions often contain some hints about having unreliable intel or enemy forces being stronger than expected. The devs haven't said it outright but I feel pretty sure their intent was for some missions to be extremely challenging if not impossible. The withdraw button is there for a reason after all, and bear in mind that if you can complete at least one objective you don't even take a penalty for withdrawal.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
The game overall feels disappointingly easy, I'm afraid. Once you hit a specific skill level with your pilots, they're stupidly powerful to the point of being OP.

I'm fairly deep into the campaign, have a 380 ton lance and apart from the odd mission that overwhelms you with a bit of luck and a bit of RNG, it's really too easy to play and win easily.... and it feels like the latest patch made things easier overall.

I'm 80 hours in, I play slow and alt+tab a lot, and have had a great deal of fun but I'll be modding once I've completed the game for a greater challenge.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Now I'm running an Orion with 3 lrm15s, wolverine beam boat, dragon and quickdraw. Have a trebuchet with 2 lrm15+ I can swap in if needed.

May retry that story mission again now, just debating if I need both missile mechs or just the orion.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
They still have no updates for my machine having issues. I did see another users post about similar problems and found that if I put the main details setting from high to medium, I can run it all native rez with no issues. So looks like one or more of the advanced settings causes an issue when at high on my fury card.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Did go back and finish that story mission, did it by killing both transports, only using 1 ammo crate, and lost 1 MW who was in my wolverine.

After rushing to kill turret to left and taking out both transports, backed up to kill mechs as they came at me.

I did find out that when you melee, you don't automatically take away all evasion from the enemy.

Main issue I was having is that they have 2 packed LRM turrets that were peppering me the entire time regardless of how far back I moved.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Did go back and finish that story mission, did it by killing both transports, only using 1 ammo crate, and lost 1 MW who was in my wolverine.

After rushing to kill turret to left and taking out both transports, backed up to kill mechs as they came at me.

I did find out that when you melee, you don't automatically take away all evasion from the enemy.

Main issue I was having is that they have 2 packed LRM turrets that were peppering me the entire time regardless of how far back I moved.

LRM's are a pain in this game for sure, a heavy LRM turret or LRM carrier can really ruin your day.

I prioritize my targets by weapon type and kill anything with a AC20 first, then move onto anyone with LRM's, everybody else can wait.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
LRM's are a pain in this game for sure, a heavy LRM turret or LRM carrier can really ruin your day.

I prioritize my targets by weapon type and kill anything with a AC20 first, then move onto anyone with LRM's, everybody else can wait.

Well, what really ruins your day is walking into range of a SRM Carrier not knowing that it is anything other than a vehicle (i.e. not even in range to get tonnage), and then have it move immediately after that Mech and have it unload 60 SRMs on you (480 damage potential, the equivalent of 18 medium+ 1 small lasers). It is a vehicle that to this day I do not know how it survives in the game universe as it breaks all rules weight/heat rules (I mean, that is 120 heat (shutdown limit is 100), but it can fire every turn, meaning it needs something like 20-30 heatsinks, which means just for the weapons and heatsinks that is 80-90tons. And yet the vehicle is only 60 tons total, which the weight of just the 10 SRM6 weapons with no ammo, no heatsinks, no vehicle is already 60 tons...)

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Well, what really ruins your day is walking into range of a SRM Carrier not knowing that it is anything other than a vehicle (i.e. not even in range to get tonnage), and then have it move immediately after that Mech and have it unload 60 SRMs on you (480 damage potential, the equivalent of 18 medium+ 1 small lasers). It is a vehicle that to this day I do not know how it survives in the game universe as it breaks all rules weight/heat rules (I mean, that is 120 heat (shutdown limit is 100), but it can fire every turn, meaning it needs something like 20-30 heatsinks, which means just for the weapons and heatsinks that is 80-90tons. And yet the vehicle is only 60 tons total, which the weight of just the 10 SRM6 weapons with no ammo, no heatsinks, no vehicle is already 60 tons...)

Yah, those are absurd. Would make more sense if they were using the option one shot SRMs. They're lighter and then you don't really need to worry about heat sinks.

VexingFool

May 16, 2018
Yah, those are absurd. Would make more sense if they were using the option one shot SRMs. They're lighter and then you don't really need to worry about heat sinks.
Except Vehicles use different construction rules than Battlemechs. Vehicles only have to allocate Heat Sinks for energy weapons equal to their heat generated. Vehicles are all heat neutral and don't even have a heat scale on the record sheet. So the SRM carrier is a completely valid build.

SRM Carrier
Structure: 6.0
180 ICE Engine: 14.0
Control Equipment: 3.0
Armor: 3.0
10x SRM-6: 30.0
Ammunition: 4.0
Total: 60 tons

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
Has anyone had a problem with crashing? I have been trying to complete "Served Cold" and it has been crashing after a few rounds.
Computer:
Win7 64bit
i7-6700 Skylake
32 Gigs of ram
Radeon 5750. Yep it is that old. At the time I upgraded my computer I was out of money for a newer GPU.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Has anyone had a problem with crashing? I have been trying to complete "Served Cold" and it has been crashing after a few rounds.
Computer:
Win7 64bit
i7-6700 Skylake
32 Gigs of ram
Radeon 5750. Yep it is that old. At the time I upgraded my computer I was out of money for a newer GPU.
I think most of the people still having issues are using AMD cards. Have you tried windowed mode? For some people that has cleared up many of the crashes.

Another trick is if you are in full screen mode and it crashed to a black screen with the mouse and sound still working is to CTRL+Enter which will switch to windowed mode and you can then change the resolution again back to full screen if you want.

Last edited:

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
When the game crashes it goes back to the desktop and is in the task bar. When i open up the task manager, the game is not responding. I have to kill the game and restart.

I did turn off most of the actiron cams and it did run longer before it crashed.

This is the only game on steam that crashes.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Computer:
Win7 64bit
i7-6700 Skylake
32 Gigs of ram

I think most of the people still having issues are using AMD cards. Have you tried windowed mode? For some people that has cleared up many of the crashes.

Another trick is if you are in full screen mode and it crashed to a black screen with the mouse and sound still working is to CTRL+Enter which will switch to windowed mode and you can then change the resolution again back to full screen if you want.

When the game crashes it goes back to the desktop and is in the task bar. When i open up the task manager, the game is not responding. I have to kill the game and restart.

I did turn off most of the actiron cams and it did run longer before it crashed.

Using an old i5 2500k, 16Gb RAM and an 8Gb AMD 390x... I've had 3 crashes in 80 hours and I'm a serial Alt+Tabber.

Spydermag68, I have seen something similar with my Battletech and usually when I've Alt+Tabbed during an Enemy Movement (happens in less than 1/100 instances). The game seems and sounds like it's frozen but it is still moving in the background and will unfreeze in less than 5 minutes.

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
I have complete, “Served Cold” and the crashes have stopped.

I am now on a mission. Killed all of the mechs but did not get picked up after the battle.