Battletech

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Stuff I'd love to see happen
- Tracking actual ammo usage. Can't find LRM ammo, you might have to go into combat with empty bins. Would actually make that ammo salvage make sense.
- Allowing me to go into combat with a damaged mech. Can't afford to replace that arm that got blown off, don't have time or parts? Well, at least give me the choice of using it.
You know it is surprising that after all these years, that is something that Mechwarrior (Activision 1989) handled and is not in any of these newer games. Heck, you started out in a busted up Jenner, without enough C-Bills to even repair it, and had to make some real crucial decisions on what to fix and what missions you could take on to gain enough to not go bankrupt. Ammo was another issue, where-in you needed to purchase supplies, and not all planets might have what you need, and some might have it priced extremely high due to scarcity, etc... You needed to learn to go to manufacturing worlds to pickup new mechs and stock up on supplies (unless you were rich already and didn't care).

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Yea but I worry we will get into the paradox model of offering a gazillion tiny dlc. Much rather have major content add-on then a bunch of nickle and dimes.

I've stopped buying most paradox titles until a year+ after release to look over the entire package on sale with what will most likely be most of the produced DLC for it for that same reason.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yea but I worry we will get into the paradox model of offering a gazillion tiny dlc. Much rather have major content add-on then a bunch of nickle and dimes.

Yes HBS selling out to Paradox was not a good thing.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You know it is surprising that after all these years, that is something that Mechwarrior (Activision 1989) handled and is not in any of these newer games. Heck, you started out in a busted up Jenner, without enough C-Bills to even repair it, and had to make some real crucial decisions on what to fix and what missions you could take on to gain enough to not go bankrupt. Ammo was another issue, where-in you needed to purchase supplies, and not all planets might have what you need, and some might have it priced extremely high due to scarcity, etc... You needed to learn to go to manufacturing worlds to pickup new mechs and stock up on supplies (unless you were rich already and didn't care).

The RougeTech mod does a very good job of simulating that original mechwarrior feel.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't know why, but I simply don't get offered many 2.5+ hardness missions (aside from the storyline ones). I'm up to a storyline mission where-in it warned me to have 2 full lances prepared (it is a hardness of 4 mission). I simply do not get missions that let me get good mechs. I finally got something good the other night in one of the "An extremely heavy mech was spotted" type random mission, in which I got a Black Knight.

I am really liking this one. The variant that I have is all energy weapons, and I have it configured with 8 medium lasers, but with enough heat sinks that it can fire all of them all day long (well, map environmental affects would limit it). With max jump jets and almost max forward armor, this thing is a killing machine. 4 of my mediums I have on it are +10 damage. And it is FAST for a heavy (moves almost as far as a Wolverine), so I use it as my scout and if it scouts something real dangerous it can usually one shot it using precision strike. It is also my killer for when something gets knocked down (not much can handle 240 damage that is potentially on the same location).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Accelerate the current action with SPACEBAR. Players can now press SPACEBAR to greatly accelerate the current action. Game speed will return to normal after the action completes.

Speed-Up mode to accelerate all combat actions. Added an option in the Gameplay Settings menu that significantly speeds up combat. Note that this setting is ignored during Multiplayer, and while story dialogue is playing during campaign missions.

General combat speed optimizations. To decrease turn times even when not using new speed-up options. In addition, the settings for combat result pauses and camera transition times have been exposed in CombatGameConstants.json for easier modding.

Cancel combat actions and selections with right-click. Right-clicking in combat (without holding the button down) now acts like the ESC key, backing out of the current action or selection.

GOD DAMN FINALLY!

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I don't know why, but I simply don't get offered many 2.5+ hardness missions (aside from the storyline ones). I'm up to a storyline mission where-in it warned me to have 2 full lances prepared (it is a hardness of 4 mission). I simply do not get missions that let me get good mechs. I finally got something good the other night in one of the "An extremely heavy mech was spotted" type random mission, in which I got a Black Knight.

I am really liking this one. The variant that I have is all energy weapons, and I have it configured with 8 medium lasers, but with enough heat sinks that it can fire all of them all day long (well, map environmental affects would limit it). With max jump jets and almost max forward armor, this thing is a killing machine. 4 of my mediums I have on it are +10 damage. And it is FAST for a heavy (moves almost as far as a Wolverine), so I use it as my scout and if it scouts something real dangerous it can usually one shot it using precision strike. It is also my killer for when something gets knocked down (not much can handle 240 damage that is potentially on the same location).
I'm at the same point. You can go to the star map and travel to planets to find contracts. You have to pay for the trip yourself but you get to pick the average difficulty. When you click on a planet, it'll show the difficulty in the bottom info section. I traveled into the Taurian space and did a few 4+ skull missions. I got a Atlas, Highlander and King Crab. Now I'm about ready to go back and finish the campaign.
Just got a 2.4 gig update.
Most of the changes from the patch looks good, especially the QoL changes. Disappointed to see there no option to move mechs around in the bay. The balance changes seem good too. I'll have to try LL to see if they are any good now.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
LL might be a bit too strong now, and I think some of the balance changes may have smoothed out tonnage performance a bit too much, but overall it's a vast improvement and there's much more choice in how to build your mech.

Feb 25, 2011
Nice. I want actual features though.

Sandbox mode, post-campaign, would be a lot more fun if I could buy, say, a Union class dropship and a couple Aerospace fighters. Field my lance plus some vehicles or something.

Otherwise I'm just grinding money with a Steiner Scout Lance for no reason.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Nice. I want actual features though.

Sandbox mode, post-campaign, would be a lot more fun if I could buy, say, a Union class dropship and a couple Aerospace fighters. Field my lance plus some vehicles or something.

Otherwise I'm just grinding money with a Steiner Scout Lance for no reason.

Roguetech mod?

It would be interesting to have long term goals like buy a planet stronghold and upgrade it. Then maybe be able to fight to take over worlds nearby. Start your own house. Maybe be able to start assigning spare lances you own to other missions.

First I need multiple lance missions though. 4 mechs is super restrictive.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
LL might be a bit too strong now, and I think some of the balance changes may have smoothed out tonnage performance a bit too much, but overall it's a vast improvement and there's much more choice in how to build your mech.
Nope, LL are still crap compared to the good weapons. Damage per adjusted ton (meaning weapon+1 ton ammo+heatsinks to dissipate), LL are only a 3.6 damage. Mediums are 5, SRM6 are 6, LRM15 are 4.6, LRM20 are 4.7. AC10 is now a 3.8, and AC5 is 3.75. Now grant it the AC10 and AC5 have only 1 ton of ammo in that calculation, and will have limited number of shots (on the same note, how many matches really need more than 15 rounds, and in the case of the AC10, with 2 tons of ammo, it is still approximately even in terms of damage at 3.6, while at the same time doing more burst damage to a single location, with the same ranges as the LL, and the AC5 has better range than the LL). PPCs are still useless until they cut another 14 more heat (which would get them in the 3.5 damage per ton if they did, but that is still crap, for it to be really viable it needs to at least compete closely with the AC5).

Only thing that really changed is that you now have a viable choice between using LRMs and SRMs depending on the Mech.

On a side note, I gave up trying to get heavier mechs before the mission. With the recent changes in heat for LRMs, I was able to convert the thunderbolts I had (and was not using) into a viable missile platform with a LRM20+LRM15 and 5 tons of missiles. The last missions were a little tough (if I played it again now knowing what would happen, I would most certainly do better). I got 2 mechs roughed up a little more than I would have liked (luckily one was a battlemaster which was there mainly to absorb damage in the first place, but had some real good short range punch). Wound up having a leg, arm, and side torso (on the same as the arm) down pretty deep in structure, but didn't lose any weapons or modules. My black knight got beat up (1 leg had litterally 1 structure left about 2/3rds into mission, and had head and CT in structure). In the final battle I made a costly gambit which resulted in my Highlander losing his left torso and arm (better than the right side with the gauss rifle, but still lost a double heatsink which was un-replaceable), but that was the only real damage from that battle (and it was the last in the campaign, so...). So in the first of the two battles, I use a Battlemaster, Black Knight, Thunderbolt, and Highlander, and the final battle, the Atlas, Highlander, and 2 Thunderbolts (which simply wrecked, as I used jump jets to get them up high on the wall and rain down hell with the height advantage, either splitting fire on two enemies each (where-in each thunderbolt attacked 2 different enemies for the breach shot advantage), or focusing fire on a single target which was not braced, utterly devastating it).

I toyed a bit with the Battlemaster, swapping out a medium laser and a heatsink to add 2 machine guns and a ton of ammo. I believe I liked it, as it was always a brawler due to its speed. While 2 small lasers would have provided more damage, the upping of medium lasers heat forced me to make a change to cut back on overall heat, but the critical damage that the machine guns do (as well as 5x higher chance for head damage) made them the obvious choice. I also had a grasshopper I picked up at some point, which I setup with 5 medium lasers and 4 small lasers (again, due to its speed, it made for a good brawler, and that greatly increased its damage at close range while cutting down on temptation to use more weapons at long range when it couldn't dissipate all the heat).

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
large lasers always sucked back to 1986. I would love to see some expansions for this game. We need a deep sandbox mode with lots of multichain missions.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Nope, LL are still crap compared to the good weapons. Damage per adjusted ton (meaning weapon+1 ton ammo+heatsinks to dissipate), LL are only a 3.6 damage. Mediums are 5, SRM6 are 6, LRM15 are 4.6, LRM20 are 4.7. AC10 is now a 3.8, and AC5 is 3.75. Now grant it the AC10 and AC5 have only 1 ton of ammo in that calculation, and will have limited number of shots (on the same note, how many matches really need more than 15 rounds, and in the case of the AC10, with 2 tons of ammo, it is still approximately even in terms of damage at 3.6, while at the same time doing more burst damage to a single location, with the same ranges as the LL, and the AC5 has better range than the LL). PPCs are still useless until they cut another 14 more heat (which would get them in the 3.5 damage per ton if they did, but that is still crap, for it to be really viable it needs to at least compete closely with the AC5).

Lasers also don't have to deal with ammo explosions and have a built in +1 to hit from what I understand. Adjusted damage per ton isn't the whole story. AC's should do more damage per ton given equal range and damage packets.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
ammo explosions are easy in this game. In tt you needed CASE ammo holders at .5 tons each and it would blow out your rear armor only. I think this is clan tech though? Cant remember. Anyway without it you would blow your whole mech.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
ammo explosions are easy in this game. In tt you needed CASE ammo holders at .5 tons each and it would blow out your rear armor only. I think this is clan tech though? Cant remember. Anyway without it you would blow your whole mech.
CASE was simply Lostek/Star League tech (at least during the timeframe of this game). It was re-discovered how to manufacture again in 3036.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
IS has case as well, but damage will clear the location. CASE II behaves like you're thinking though. I'm glad they toned them down from TT. Ammo explosions were nuts pre-case.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
IS has case as well, but damage will clear the location. CASE II behaves like you're thinking though. I'm glad they toned them down from TT. Ammo explosions were nuts pre-case.

and a strong case to go energy only. I find in this game the benefits of stab damage weapons and minor ammo risk to outweigh all energy weapons unless its as back up. Im planning on doing another run in this but hold myself to hardcore no reloading.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
and a strong case to go energy only. I find in this game the benefits of stab damage weapons and minor ammo risk to outweigh all energy weapons unless its as back up. Im planning on doing another run in this but hold myself to hardcore no reloading.

Even with the latest stability damage nerf? I haven't had much chance to play since the patch. With 400 stability damage to knock down an assault I can see moving away from LRMs. I'll have to experiment, but if I can't reliably knock down a mech with my LRM boats I may have to retool. Especially now that all high knockdown weapons are pretty much useless for called shots. Maybe go back to a brawler with ac/20 and TSM?

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I just started playing and have to ask, is RNG purposely skewed towards the bad guys? I mean holy hell I'm only in the beginning with light/medium mechs but it feels like I'm getting constantly lambasted. I'll have 4 medium mechs fire towards a light mech (I'm talking a Locust, they don't get any lighter) and it'll come out unscathed other than losing evasion and a bit of damage but then the 3-4 opposing forces light mechs will all fire on the same mech on my side and blow off some arms, injure my pilots, etc.

I'm not faring better with the story, on the 2nd main mission where you attack the prison, I got absolutely plastered and had to settle for Dekker dying and having 2 other pilots injured for 110 days with their mechs being completely trashed. Is there something I'm missing to get heavier mechs or weapons?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Even with the latest stability damage nerf? I haven't had much chance to play since the patch. With 400 stability damage to knock down an assault I can see moving away from LRMs. I'll have to experiment, but if I can't reliably knock down a mech with my LRM boats I may have to retool. Especially now that all high knockdown weapons are pretty much useless for called shots. Maybe go back to a brawler with ac/20 and TSM?

I havent played since the nerf.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I just started playing and have to ask, is RNG purposely skewed towards the bad guys? I mean holy hell I'm only in the beginning with light/medium mechs but it feels like I'm getting constantly lambasted. I'll have 4 medium mechs fire towards a light mech (I'm talking a Locust, they don't get any lighter) and it'll come out unscathed other than losing evasion and a bit of damage but then the 3-4 opposing forces light mechs will all fire on the same mech on my side and blow off some arms, injure my pilots, etc.

I'm not faring better with the story, on the 2nd main mission where you attack the prison, I got absolutely plastered and had to settle for Dekker dying and having 2 other pilots injured for 110 days with their mechs being completely trashed. Is there something I'm missing to get heavier mechs or weapons?

play smart and get your warriors trained up correctly.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000

I'd say the number one thing to figure out early on is bracing and how the vision system works. If you're leroy jenkins-ing with a mech and its all the enemy can see they will plaster it. Stay with the group. If you can, have mechs with LRMs and SRMs fire on high evasion targets first. since they roll per missile you're likely to get SOME damage on them and knock off evasion. Once you get to direct fire pop off your called shots. Hopefully they have low evasion now and you'll have good odd. If a mech baced (solid shield) it takes half damage. if you're in the woods (hollow shield) you'll take 75% (I think) damage. If you're really having a hard time with evasion, have someone go up and physical it. It ignores evasion. Everytime I get an annoying ligh buzzing around my assaults I just punch it. Way easier than trying to hit it.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Is there a particular tank I should be aiming for? I'm also not rushing in, I tend to move a few squares at a time with my lance but I seem to attract bad luck- stuff like missing with a melee attack. I'll try more missiles, maybe I'm relying too heavily on lasers.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I think if you're laser boating it's even more important to try and hit from the side, otherwise you're just sandblasting the mech.