Battlefield Vietnam vs Unreal Tournament 2004

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Since these seem to be the two most talked about games around here, a poll is in order.

I say BF Vietnam :p

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have no doubt that both are gonna be good games, but between the two of them UT2004 by a mile!

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dpm
Both good, but I think BF Vietnam'll edge it

Yeah. I think BF Vietnam has more appeal to me b/c my dad was in Vietnam (18 months as an MP) and there's sort of a "connection" there. That, and I like the realistic character models and gameplay.

UT2004 character models are too big and blocky IMHO and I don't find the gameplay all that appealing. That, and the colors used in the game remind me of Joel Schumacher's renditions of "Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin". Don't get me wrong, it's miles head of Quake/Doom drabness, but it's a bit too far on the "fruity" side for me;)

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
BF vietnam is shaping up to be not much more than bf1942 with different weapons, different vehicles etc...basically the same all over again. An m16 is the same as a bar as far as Im concerned, and a sniper rifle is a sniper rifle is a sniper rifle. Thats not so bad because every other game is like that...but EVERY OTHER GAME is like that! When I play bf1942, I see an unorganized mass of vehicle campers...being on foot is practically useless. People are more concerned over flying the plane than actually completing the objectives...which isnt surprisining because its just plain bland to cap the territories sometimes. Its just a disorganized mess.

Then I play onslaught in UT2004, and its INTENSE. The power nodes force the action into a few points, there is always a goal, and it keeps the game from getting disorganized. Flying a manta around is far more fun than driving a jeep. Shooting rockets and etc is more fun than bland machine guns. Every BF:VN map might as well look the same...a jungle is a jungle. Ut2004 will have you in every possible locale and then some.

And I havent even touched on the sheer brilliance of assault. Theres always bombing run and ctf and ALL the other modes. Plus a million maps to download, mutators, tons of models that all look DIFFERENT.

Im looking forward to gunning down some vc from a copter while surfin bird plays, but I get the feeling thats gonna be a novelty thats gonna run out quick, just like every game of bf1942 was. Weee planes!

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I feel that they fall into two totaly different categories, UT2004 is more of a Twtich-Kill game, whereas BF1942/Vietnam is slower and has more strategy to the fighting..
I love both, and will play both. It will just depend on the mood im in at the time.

CrackRabbit

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: NFS4

Yeah. I think BF Vietnam has more appeal to me b/c my dad was in Vietnam (18 months as an MP) and there's sort of a "connection" there. That, and I like the realistic character models and gameplay.

UT2004 character models are too big and blocky IMHO and I don't find the gameplay all that appealing. That, and the colors used in the game remind me of Joel Schumacher's renditions of "Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin". Don't get me wrong, it's miles head of Quake/Doom drabness, but it's a bit too far on the "fruity" side for me;)

Yeah, I tend to see it the same way (minus the Vietnam connection). I am kinda bored with the sci-fi vibe of UT (each annual installment seems like a minor upgrade to me, rather than a new game), and prefer authentic weapons and environments. I look forward to BV, but probably won't even buy UT2K4.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Heh, after playing BF Vietnam today I can't say its that great. Its still pretty laggy and its just not that polished. I guess I'll have to play it at a lan sometime.

mflacy

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
I getting both this week at BB, but I'm more excited about BF Vietnam purely because the mod scene will be huge if 1942 is any comparison. Especially since the mod tools have been improved. Also, the new foilage model is more sniper friendly this time around which should make for some heated battles. Plus, napalm!

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

A MP? Hehehe. My dad's friend/next door neighbor was an LRRP...saw a lot of action. Scary stuff.

TheShiz

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Yeah. I think BF Vietnam has more appeal to me b/c my dad was in Vietnam (18 months as an MP) and there's sort of a "connection" there.

bizarre, if you really want to have a connection about nam go watch "hearts and minds" or read "Secrets: a memoir of vietnam and the pentagon papers" by Daniel Ellsberg. or i guess you could run around shooting polygon vietnamese.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mflacy
I getting both this week at BB, but I'm more excited about BF Vietnam purely because the mod scene will be huge if 1942 is any comparison. Especially since the mod tools have been improved. Also, the new foilage model is more sniper friendly this time around which should make for some heated battles. Plus, napalm!

I'm still very impressed by the depth added by the whole Desert Combat mod. It's just AMAZING. It could be a whole new stand alone game on its own.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: TheShiz

Yeah. I think BF Vietnam has more appeal to me b/c my dad was in Vietnam (18 months as an MP) and there's sort of a "connection" there.

bizarre, if you really want to have a connection about nam go watch "hearts and minds" or read "Secrets: a memoir of vietnam and the pentagon papers" by Daniel Ellsberg. or i guess you could run around shooting polygon vietnamese.

If I want to REALLY be in it, I could just pull out my dad's photo albums from Vietnam, tittie dancers and all :)

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Tabb
Heh, after playing BF Vietnam today I can't say its that great. Its still pretty laggy and its just not that polished. I guess I'll have to play it at a lan sometime.

Cant say Im surprised. Got to wonder why theres no demo out...

BF1942 when it first came out was an excercise in frustration. Laggy as hell, and I could swear that 90% of the shots that were dead on ended up being misses. It just didnt have the solid, polished feel that even day of defeat had. Its just a god awful engine, and Ive always thought so from the very beginning. Its like the game is working against you rather than with you. Not to mention weird mouse lag problems, text thats all screwed up when you use AA, the absolute worst control scheme for some of the vehicles (you mean I actually have to *hold* the forward button to keep the plane in the air? So I slow down by tap tap tapping it? wtf?) It had a cool wow Ive never done this novelty that wore off too quick, when you realize how bad of a game it actually is. The format is brilliant, but Im waiting for a company to make a solid war game with vehicles that doesnt play like garbage most of the time.

Still looking forward to it, but Im already prepared to be dissapointed.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BD2003
Originally posted by: Tabb

Cant say Im surprised. Got to wonder why theres no demo out...

BF1942 when it first came out was an excercise in frustration. Laggy as hell, and I could swear that 90% of the shots that were dead on ended up being misses. It just didnt have the solid, polished feel that even day of defeat had. Its just a god awful engine, and Ive always thought so from the very beginning. Its like the game is working against you rather than with you. Not to mention weird mouse lag problems, text thats all screwed up when you use AA, the absolute worst control scheme for some of the vehicles (you mean I actually have to *hold* the forward button to keep the plane in the air? So I slow down by tap tap tapping it? wtf?) It had a cool wow Ive never done this novelty that wore off too quick, when you realize how bad of a game it actually is. The format is brilliant, but Im waiting for a company to make a solid war game with vehicles that doesnt play like garbage most of the time.

Still looking forward to it, but Im already prepared to be dissapointed.

Funny, that I haven't had those problems with either BF1942 or Desert Combat and I have Road Runner and I'm connected to our DI-614+ by a Uniden 802.11b USB wireless adapter.

And I use the keyboard to control tanks/jeeps and a joystick/throttle to fly planes. Simple and efficient.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Since these seem to be the two most talked about games around here, a poll is in order.

I agree UT 2Ke4 is to carttonish for me.

Sysadmin

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Sysadmin

I agree UT 2Ke4 is to carttonish for me.

Sysadmin

:beer::D