Battlefield Vietnam vs Unreal Tournament 2004

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
4,952
119
106
I have them both on the way. I will probably play UT2004 more because I got sick of 1942 and I fear that Vietnam will not be much different.
 

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
64,862
84
91
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Since we are on this topic, UT 2004 runs fine on my P3 800 MhZ/384 MB RAM/Radeon 9000 128 MB. It's very brisk and looks good, no hicups either. But BF 1942 loads really really slow, around 4 mins to load a new map. The first 30-40 seconds of the game are very laggy, but then the game is smooth. What are the ideal requirements for BF 1942?


wholly cow, i don't know how you run 1942 on that system at all? i have a 1800@2.4ghz 1gb ddr, radeon 9000 pro overclocked and i run 1024x768 @ 16bit with all graphics turned to min except view distance which has to stay at max for obvious reasons. i could go higher, but absolute smoothness is required to play well. the game is ram hungry, you need over 512, it easily climbs over it, esp desert combat. it needs a fast video card, and fast cpu. and for loading, it needs a fast harddrive, mine are relatively recent. takes maybe 20 seconds toload a map, and theres no lag after for me.
 

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
64,862
84
91
BF1942 was WAY too slow for me. With a ping of like 70-80 I'd pump and entire clip into someone and they would still be standing. Accuracy just seemed off on everything. Same problem with retarded teammates though.
musta been way back or ur choosing really lousy servers. i take down people with a lousy pistol all the time:p 70-80 ping aint bad...
 

Kaiser__Sose

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
1,660
0
0
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Originally posted by: Kaiser__Sose
just got BF:V yesterday... seems it was released early in Canada cuz almost everyone on the servers is in canada.. anyway.. great game so far.
How buggy is it?

What res are you playing, and with what hardware?
not that buggy.. i would say the same as 1942...
i'm playin at 1024x768 everything maxed out
Athlon xp @ 2.3 ghz on a gf4 Ti4200 @ 4600 speed
512 mb Ram
 

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
7,623
1
0
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Since we are on this topic, UT 2004 runs fine on my P3 800 MhZ/384 MB RAM/Radeon 9000 128 MB. It's very brisk and looks good, no hicups either. But BF 1942 loads really really slow, around 4 mins to load a new map. The first 30-40 seconds of the game are very laggy, but then the game is smooth. What are the ideal requirements for BF 1942?


wholly cow, i don't know how you run 1942 on that system at all? i have a 1800@2.4ghz 1gb ddr, radeon 9000 pro overclocked and i run 1024x768 @ 16bit with all graphics turned to min except view distance which has to stay at max for obvious reasons. i could go higher, but absolute smoothness is required to play well. the game is ram hungry, you need over 512, it easily climbs over it, esp desert combat. it needs a fast video card, and fast cpu. and for loading, it needs a fast harddrive, mine are relatively recent. takes maybe 20 seconds toload a map, and theres no lag after for me.
20 SECONDS??? DAMN! I can seriously go and make myself a sandwich in the time it takes to load.
 

BaboonGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
4,125
0
0
i played BF 1942 a few times, i have to say the maps were too big and action way too spread out. with onslaught and assault, the action is focused, and much much more fun. also, it didn't feel very crisp to me either in the way you fire guns and kill people. i just prefer UT, it's much more fun imo.
 

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
9,597
0
76
UT 2k4, if people give it a chance.

I played BF Vietnam a few times, way too hard. The jungle terrain make it impossible to see where people are shooting at you, and no matter how low you stay, bots always find you. Then again, that's how it was in the real war, but this game is just too much of a chore to play, when compared to UT 2k4. In UT, the battle is right in your front yard :D
 

darkeneddays

Senior member
Jan 10, 2002
439
1
0
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
BF1942 was WAY too slow for me. With a ping of like 70-80 I'd pump and entire clip into someone and they would still be standing. Accuracy just seemed off on everything. Same problem with retarded teammates though.
musta been way back or ur choosing really lousy servers. i take down people with a lousy pistol all the time:p 70-80 ping aint bad...


I tried it 2 different times. When it first came out I gave it a whirl with a friend's disc. Hated it so I gave it back to him. Then about 6 months later I found the game at the Goodwill center for $9. Figured I'd see if it still sucked. It did(IMHO). Sold the game on eBay. Sniping was the worst. I'd have the crosshairs on someones chest, who was standing still btw, 5 rounds later he's still standing. I guess it's possible that it's gotten better, but 2 strikes was enough for me.
 

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
16,815
1
76
Well, I just finished playing bf:v for a while...and I dont have much good to say about it.

Theres nothing really to speak of the weapons, because a gun is a gun. Its basically the same weapons as bf1942.

The vehicles were pretty much the same as well. The chopper was alright, but the missles never shot anywhere near the crosshairs.

Gfx are nice, but theres the same weird mouse lag problem at high reses. But my god the glitches! The game was glitching like I had my card overclocked too high. I put it back on stock, but kept having the same problems. My gun would dissapear, and all the PS effects are screwed.

So basically, its BF1942 with better gfx minus all the fun. Theres only one way to play in this game, and thats to hide in the bush. If you dont, youll get shot. From someone in a bush. The game is a campfest. The helicopters are cool, but you cant find anything to shoot at cause everyones in a freaking bush!

I really, really was trying to like it, because despite all its quirkyness, I did enjoy bf1942 at times. But this is just a step down. Its just plain not fun to play.
 

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
5,193
0
71
Sniping was the worst. I'd have the crosshairs on someones chest, who was standing still btw, 5 rounds later he's still standing
I have the same problem with BF (42, I haven't played Vietnam yet). It's severely lacking in person on person combat. Even when you are hitting someone it really doesn't feel like it. When you're playing UT, there's no question as to whether or not your shots are finding the mark.
 

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
29,776
29
81
Originally posted by: BD2003
Well, I just finished playing bf:v for a while...and I dont have much good to say about it.

Theres nothing really to speak of the weapons, because a gun is a gun. Its basically the same weapons as bf1942.

The vehicles were pretty much the same as well. The chopper was alright, but the missles never shot anywhere near the crosshairs.

Gfx are nice, but theres the same weird mouse lag problem at high reses. But my god the glitches! The game was glitching like I had my card overclocked too high. I put it back on stock, but kept having the same problems. My gun would dissapear, and all the PS effects are screwed.

So basically, its BF1942 with better gfx minus all the fun. Theres only one way to play in this game, and thats to hide in the bush. If you dont, youll get shot. From someone in a bush. The game is a campfest. The helicopters are cool, but you cant find anything to shoot at cause everyones in a freaking bush!

I really, really was trying to like it, because despite all its quirkyness, I did enjoy bf1942 at times. But this is just a step down. Its just plain not fun to play.
LOL @ the bushes!

 

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
9,597
0
76
Originally posted by: BD2003

So basically, its BF1942 with better gfx minus all the fun. Theres only one way to play in this game, and thats to hide in the bush. If you dont, youll get shot. From someone in a bush. The game is a campfest. The helicopters are cool, but you cant find anything to shoot at cause everyones in a freaking bush!
EXACTLY!!! Now I see why Agent Orange was invented ;) God damn bushes :|

 

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
17,627
4
81
Looks like UT2K4 is bending over BF1942 in the poll. ;)

Can't wait for this freakin game.
 

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
16,815
1
76
Man, I hate to sound like Im unfairly criticizing this game but...its just getting worse. Id prob be able to enjoy it a bit more if my gun didnt stop glitching and random appearing and dissapearing. Ive even tried underclocking my radeon and still the same problems.

The best part about hiding in the bushes is that when youre the one who's lying down, you can actually see through the grass. Of course, no one else can. So you can be brave, and run out in plain sight and try to cap a flag, but every single vc in the bushes can see you clear as day, and you have NO IDEA where they are! Sure youll hear them fire and see the muzzle flash, but youll prob be dead by then.

It is fun to fly the choppers around, but theyre even harder to use than desert combat. At least in DC you could point slightly down and still fire, but now any single pitch will drive you nearly directly into the ground. And some genius at EA also decided that if theres music playing when youre in a vehicle, it should be in the rear speakers only.

In the end, it improves in basically no way over bf1942. Goes downhill in a lot of respects, but its a lot prettier. Sniping is still as impossible as before, even though your shot was DEAD ON, more than half the time its a miss. But dont worry, youve got plenty of shots, cause no one will see you.

Theres a reason why people havent been making too many vietnam games, and thats cause hiding in a bush or getting shot from one is not a fun game.

And on an extremely irritating note, it rearranged ALL MY FREAKING ICONS, as if my resolution was 640x480. I have to replace them every single time I play the damn game!
 

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
64,862
84
91
Theres a reason why people havent been making too many vietnam games, and thats cause hiding in a bush or getting shot from one is not a fun game.
i think its cuz we don't have the graphical power to create a truely realistic/playable jungle enviroment.
 

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
16,018
5
0
Originally posted by: BD2003
Man, I hate to sound like Im unfairly criticizing this game but...its just getting worse. Id prob be able to enjoy it a bit more if my gun didnt stop glitching and random appearing and dissapearing. Ive even tried underclocking my radeon and still the same problems.

The best part about hiding in the bushes is that when youre the one who's lying down, you can actually see through the grass. Of course, no one else can. So you can be brave, and run out in plain sight and try to cap a flag, but every single vc in the bushes can see you clear as day, and you have NO IDEA where they are! Sure youll hear them fire and see the muzzle flash, but youll prob be dead by then.

It is fun to fly the choppers around, but theyre even harder to use than desert combat. At least in DC you could point slightly down and still fire, but now any single pitch will drive you nearly directly into the ground. And some genius at EA also decided that if theres music playing when youre in a vehicle, it should be in the rear speakers only.

In the end, it improves in basically no way over bf1942. Goes downhill in a lot of respects, but its a lot prettier. Sniping is still as impossible as before, even though your shot was DEAD ON, more than half the time its a miss. But dont worry, youve got plenty of shots, cause no one will see you.

Theres a reason why people havent been making too many vietnam games, and thats cause hiding in a bush or getting shot from one is not a fun game.

And on an extremely irritating note, it rearranged ALL MY FREAKING ICONS, as if my resolution was 640x480. I have to replace them every single time I play the damn game!

Well said, I concur. I am a very good player in 1942/Desert combat and this game is a joke, I much prefer DC over it. Back I go. :(

 

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
14,278
87
91
I've always loved the gameplay of BF1942 Secretweaps and DC, and i dont like the gameplay of any of the UT games, i dont have UT2k4 or Vietnam yet though.
 

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
64,862
84
91
Originally posted by: Sifl
I have both. VF Vietnam is nothing more than 1942 with bushes and asian people. :p
well since 1942 already had chinese and japanese, your left with nothing but bushes ;)
 

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
16,018
5
0
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Originally posted by: Sifl
I have both. VF Vietnam is nothing more than 1942 with bushes and asian people. :p
well since 1942 already had chinese and japanese, your left with nothing but bushes ;)
See, you caught me. I haven't played 1942 in sooo long. Desert Combat > *. :beer::D


 

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
6,875
1
0
I'm a BF 1942 fanatic so naturally I'm getting BF Vietnam because I know even if it's not polished right now it will be. BF '42 has plenty that irritates me but the game is too fun to stop playing. I don't even play anything else but on a rare occassion.
I am not into sci-fi games at all so that rules UT2k4 out anyway.
 

cubanx

Senior member
Oct 27, 2000
610
0
0
Originally posted by: BD2003

And on an extremely irritating note, it rearranged ALL MY FREAKING ICONS, as if my resolution was 640x480. I have to replace them every single time I play the damn game!
Actually it's 800x600(the games default loading resolution). If you use Force Refresh tell it to do 800x600 @ 60HZ or go to the VideoDefault.Con in the games install Directory and change the "Refresh" value from "0" to "1". Sorry I can't remember the exact location.
 

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
19,915
2
76
ostif.org
There are a lot of different maps to battlefield Vietnam, from ruined cities, to sparse villages, to total jungle.

The game is pretty well polished, although there are some small issues (the only ones ive noticed so far are throwing grenades from heicopters and having them explode instantly, or sometimes if you try to place a mortar on a hill itll disappear. Thats about it for bugs.)

It is very fun online especially playing with friends or clans on teamspeak.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY