Battlefield V

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Been playing the alpha. This map is kind of a cluster at times and operations takes too long sometimes, so it just devolves into what feels more like a chaotic deathmatch. I think I like the game enough, but I'm still not sold on it. So yeah, not sure what to say. Its a game. You shoot people and it feels like BF1.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Been playing the alpha. This map is kind of a cluster at times and operations takes too long sometimes, so it just devolves into what feels more like a chaotic deathmatch. I think I like the game enough, but I'm still not sold on it. So yeah, not sure what to say. Its a game. You shoot people and it feels like BF1.
I didn't play operations much in bf1 but I feel the same. It takes a while to get through a match and the map they offered is pretty chaotic especially with 64 players on it at times. They probably needed to offer this map though so that we didn't feel cramped.

Not sure if you can unlock any other weapons but I've been having the medic and support class the most. On bf 1 I enjoyed the assault class as I got better guns.

I'll probably end up buying it, standard version then later end up with premium if I see myself playing it more. The premium pass was worth it to me on bf1. I'm curious what they will improve on in the beta if there is one..they should do something about the spawning and revives too.

The single player in bf1 was enjoyable but I feel this one won't hold up.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Played some quick play for a little bit. I agree they could do away with the heal animations or make them much quicker. As for the maps, I've only played the snow train yard one so far. Hard to see the enemies and there is way more debri than in bf 1.

I guess the ammo dropped by a lot and the no quick respawn, they are trying to force people to be more cooperative but again it's battlefield and when you play with randoms online, this isn't going to go well. I was very close to team mates and none even went to revive me.

As for the mechanics, still feels like battlefield to me, I would like to see the other maps. It does take longer to get to some of the flags. My roommate also played a bit but he said it wasn't as interesting. For me it still feels similar to battlefield, just less ammo and no more quick revies which I hope they somehow alter later.

Also squads are broken and several times I was by myself. Waiting a while after dying was getting annoying when there are no other team members around.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about it too.

I found more annoyances after playing more with the vehicles last night. While BF1 introduced us to animations that take a while to get into a tank, BFV has one upped it by now also taking an eternity to exit. If you are a passenger and want to survive a dying tank you better start the get out process the instant you see it's health hit 40. LOL

The new spotting really sucks for pilots, its like flying blind. Its hard enough to see enemies when you are on the ground but in a plane it's impossible, even as a gunner.

Calling in a V2 rocket like a drone strike seems very Call of Duty'ish, and even more odd when I do it as a Brit.

I have been wanting a new updated WWII shooter forever and really want to like this game, but it's not making it easy.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Pretty much sums up how I feel about it too.

I found more annoyances after playing more with the vehicles last night. While BF1 introduced us to animations that take a while to get into a tank, BFV has one upped it by now also taking an eternity to exit. If you are a passenger and want to survive a dying tank you better start the get out process the instant you see it's health hit 40. LOL

The new spotting really sucks for pilots, its like flying blind. Its hard enough to see enemies when you are on the ground but in a plane it's impossible, even as a gunner.

Calling in a V2 rocket like a drone strike seems very Call of Duty'ish, and even more odd when I do it as a Brit.

I have been wanting a new updated WWII shooter forever and really want to like this game, but it's not making it easy.
The vehicle animations are too long. I posted this feedback on the Battlefield feedback forums. One person I think mentioned they should stay, for what reason I have no clue. They are really not needed and if they want to keep them just shorten them, or keep them only for single player.

When you are in the heat of battle and you want to get out of a vehicle and get your bearings, the animations make it tougher.

Also it seems the medic class is again one of my favorites. I don't particularly like the scope and the mp4 I don't use often as it's pretty much useless for medium range. I never unlocked a rocket launcher or any type of projectile explosive with the assualt class. I usually like assault but I only level up that class in smaller maps I can't do that in the alpha as easily.

It's kind of growing on me but they definitely should address the revive time and animations, that goes for the healing animation too. Often times I think I'm good to go and healed but I'm still part of the animation process. Medic rifle with scope seems OP but pretty useless up close so I guess there is that balance.

Sniper class doesn't do as much damage either. Usually around 45 to 55 damage unless you get a headshot, had a few of them.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
The vehicle animations are too long. I posted this feedback on the Battlefield feedback forums. One person I think mentioned they should stay, for what reason I have no clue. They are really not needed and if they want to keep them just shorten them, or keep them only for single player.

When you are in the heat of battle and you want to get out of a vehicle and get your bearings, the animations make it tougher.

Also it seems the medic class is again one of my favorites. I don't particularly like the scope and the mp4 I don't use often as it's pretty much useless for medium range. I never unlocked a rocket launcher or any type of projectile explosive with the assualt class. I usually like assault but I only level up that class in smaller maps I can't do that in the alpha as easily.

It's kind of growing on me but they definitely should address the revive time and animations, that goes for the healing animation too. Often times I think I'm good to go and healed but I'm still part of the animation process. Medic rifle with scope seems OP but pretty useless up close so I guess there is that balance.

Sniper class doesn't do as much damage either. Usually around 45 to 55 damage unless you get a headshot, had a few of them.

Normally I'm arguing in favor of pulling back from the casualizing direction but in this case, I think vehicle exit/entry animations are something that belong in simulations (arma,DCS flight sims, etc), not in a game that's between arma and arcade.

I didn't get an invite, so, based on previous BFs I have to say I like the idea of nerfing/slowing revives. Way too fast and easy before, but since I'm not playing yet, to be fair I must ask, how bad ARE the revives?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Normally I'm arguing in favor of pulling back from the casualizing direction but in this case, I think vehicle exit/entry animations are something that belong in simulations (arma,DCS flight sims, etc), not in a game that's between arma and arcade.

I didn't get an invite, so, based on previous BFs I have to say I like the idea of nerfing/slowing revives. Way too fast and easy before, but since I'm not playing yet, to be fair I must ask, how bad ARE the revives?
The revives are something like a whole 5-7 seconds of animation where the medic lifts you up, jabs a syringe in you then gives you a hand up. After that it's like 2-3 seconds where the screen flashes like it did in bf1 where you actually get control of your player.

The issue with the slower spawn is most people will not revive you while you are holding your hand out for waiting.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
When a game either bores or annoys you to death even when you are doing well at it, well then it's probably not the game for you, and that's where I am with it. Made it to rank 12 and I've had enough, it will take some MAJOR changes before release before I'll even think of buying.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I think it gets boring because there's only one map and one set of guns you can use. For example the German support gun, you can't even aim down the sites unless you are at a window or on the ground.

Earlier I had a good run despite all my team being Medics. I think what will happen is clans will take over and wipe out all the average players making it frusterating seeing how they changed the dynamics for it to be more team based.

They also need to either add recoil or increase the time to kill. It seems like you get killed way too quickly and there's no bullet drop either.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I think what will happen is clans will take over and wipe out all the average players making it frusterating seeing how they changed the dynamics for it to be more team based.

They also need to either add recoil or increase the time to kill. It seems like you get killed way too quickly and there's no bullet drop either.

Teamwork OP? Seriously though a good coordinated team already would clean up. I like it being more team based. That's what made battlefield in large part. COD is the lone wolf game.

I can't see how they could increase TTK. You're already firing rubber bullets in the game. Some people won't be happy until BF is an arena shooter I suppose.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Teamwork OP? Seriously though a good coordinated team already would clean up. I like it being more team based. That's what made battlefield in large part. COD is the lone wolf game.

I can't see how they could increase TTK. You're already firing rubber bullets in the game. Some people won't be happy until BF is an arena shooter I suppose.
I don't want another cod. I liked bf 1 a lot. It had many different ways to play and attack or defend. From this alpha it doesn't seem so. Also, ttk is something that's complained a lot about on the alpha feedback forum and EA said they are looking at it. It's super easy to fire 3 shots in .5 seconds and get someone. It's who sees who first more than a tactical firefight. In bf 1 I know it took a while to take someone down but you had different weapons to use to your advantage. I also mainly played hardcore.

I like team based games but the issue is I'm never on a clan or a good team and I don't have friends that can afford to upgrade the PC every year like I do so they play on console. I play on whatever team I'm put on and I usually do ok. But I'm a casual player so the chances that I get on to a good team are rare. So personally I'll never experience the team based game mode they are changing it to.

I'm fine with it if they get rid of the stupid healing animations and do something about the slow respawn. I was on a team full of medical last night and all I could do was sit there with my hand in the air because none of them revived me and the squad leader was flying around in a plane not giving any orders.

Reactions: DeadFred

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I enjoyed the alpha. I play solo mostly, so the no full revive will hurt me. Looking forward to the release.

Rygu

Jun 5, 2018
Damn I thought it was a historical WW2 game like BF1942 but no it's the feminist BF edition. Also doesn't look like much of an upgrade to BF1.

No misogyny wanted.

AT Moderator ElFenix

Last edited by a moderator:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
They are having a closed alpha again starting tomorrow. Will see what changed. Hopefully the healing animations. I also hope we get a different map, was getting sick of the snow one.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
They are having a closed alpha again starting tomorrow. Will see what changed. Hopefully the healing animations. I also hope we get a different map, was getting sick of the snow one.
Same map and revives are somewhat better, but overall it still needs tons of work.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Still feels like BF1 to me. Bah, I don't know. I personally feel like WWII was a critical error. Too similar to BF1 and BF1 got so boring I couldn't believe it. 2 more years of that sounds like absolute torture to me. I can't bear the thought of it personally, and I usually love BF games. Still play BF4 actually.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Any way to get in on the closed alpha at this point?
The second closed alpha ended Sunday I think. If you were selected to be in the first one you were probably also put in the second session too.

I don't think this will be the same case for the beta which will take place later in September. I think you have to preorder to be in the beta.

It does feel like bf 1 to me too but I had a lot of fun in bf 1. I can tell they improved hit detection compared to bf 1. Possibly because they no longer will have hardcore mode which is what I used to play. The only annoying portion is the wait time after dying. They didn't improve that or get rid of the dumb healing animations in either alphas.

I get that it's suppose to make people play more collaboratively but I can count on one hand how many times I sat there calling for a medic and team members just walk right past me. But anytime I see someone down I usually go heal them or help them up if it's an option so I found that really annoying.

Reactions: Hans Gruber

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I wish it felt like BF1 to me because I love BF1. I couldn't stomach either of these alphas.

Reactions: Rygu

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I wish it felt like BF1 to me because I love BF1. I couldn't stomach either of these alphas.
What made it worse for you? Just trying to see things I may have missed while playing. I certainly didn't like the vehicle or healing animations. I also think the one map they let us use got old fast. I most likely will hate playing that map if I buy it when it's out now.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
What made it worse for you? Just trying to see things I may have missed while playing. I certainly didn't like the vehicle or healing animations. I also think the one map they let us use got old fast. I most likely will hate playing that map if I buy it when it's out now.
I agree with everything you pointed out there and will add that I just didn't care for the overall look or feel of the game. Even the sounds weren't on par with DICE's usually high Battlefield standards. The excessive "cracking" of too many bullets was off putting and the tank machine guns sounded especially awful to me. And if the planes aren't going to be any better than that, well then they may as well remove them from the game entirely. I also experienced some "laggy" hit detection issues in the second alpha that wasn't there in the first.

Maybe I am just getting old and crotchety, but I am extremely underwhelmed to say the least.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
The second closed alpha ended Sunday I think. If you were selected to be in the first one you were probably also put in the second session too.

I don't think this will be the same case for the beta which will take place later in September. I think you have to preorder to be in the beta.

It does feel like bf 1 to me too but I had a lot of fun in bf 1. I can tell they improved hit detection compared to bf 1. Possibly because they no longer will have hardcore mode which is what I used to play. The only annoying portion is the wait time after dying. They didn't improve that or get rid of the dumb healing animations in either alphas.

I get that it's suppose to make people play more collaboratively but I can count on one hand how many times I sat there calling for a medic and team members just walk right past me. But anytime I see someone down I usually go heal them or help them up if it's an option so I found that really annoying.

the beta is always open to all. It comes out the 1st week of September.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I agree with everything you pointed out there and will add that I just didn't care for the overall look or feel of the game. Even the sounds weren't on par with DICE's usually high Battlefield standards. The excessive "cracking" of too many bullets was off putting and the tank machine guns sounded especially awful to me. And if the planes aren't going to be any better than that, well then they may as well remove them from the game entirely. I also experienced some "laggy" hit detection issues in the second alpha that wasn't there in the first.

Maybe I am just getting old and crotchety, but I am extremely underwhelmed to say the least.
You know the sounds did seem different. I played with a decent headset this time compared to my desktop speakers and I can see what you mean. The first day of the second alpha I had no issues with the laggy hits but the second day I played I saw that a lot actually. I initially thought nothing of it and figured it's the servers. But I definitely missed out on some kills because it was clear I was shooting at people even medium range body shot and it didn't register.

What I really missed out on was battlefield 2042, never actually played that one but I heard so many great things.