Battlefield 3 not direct x9? Doesn't make any sense

jordanecmusic

Jun 24, 2011
To start off my...arguement, the Xbox 360 (Direct 9) and the PS3 (Open GL) is getting Battlefield 3. Dice has stated that Battlefield 3 will not support Direct X9 on PC and will only support 10 and 11. This does not make a bit of sense. As of now, the main differences between the console versions are of such:

-Better graphics on pc of course
-PC version gets all maps, but 360 and PS3 gets Small and medium variations of the PC versions maps
-PC=64 players, Console=32 players.

To be honest, these features right here does not help differentiate why the PC version of Battlefield 3 does not support Direct x9.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 (mind you, a console port) supported Direct X9.

Discuss...I must know the answer lol.:confused:

Note that I do have graphics card that supports direct x 10. There, happy trolls? lol...

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Better graphics is the whole reason.....

We need to start stepping forward with graphic tech, it has been stagnant for too long. Go get a dx10/11 card and upgrade your OS and welcome to present times.

Last edited:

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
How many DX9 capable computer would run BF3 anyway?
Windows XP is now 10 years old, and Vista+ has been around for 5 years. Just because some people feel the need to insist Win XP is still the best doesn't mean that game developers have to hang behind with old tech that probably won't even run their software anyway.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Windows XP is now 10 years old, and Vista+ has been around for 5 years. Just because some people feel the need to insist Win XP is still the best doesn't mean that game developers have to hang behind with old tech that probably won't even run their software anyway.

Yeah, I don't think you could even get a gpu that would run the game that isn't 10/11.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I kind of have to agree with the OP on this one. If it can run on 2005 console hardware that uses dx9 or openGL then it should be able to run (maybe not looking great) on dx9 cards. It probably just isn't worth the development effort in their estimation to do so.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
. It probably just isn't worth the development effort in their estimation to do so.
Bingo! Devs have to make separate pathways for DX9 and DX10. It's a lot of work.

Just as there were so few DX10 games for two years because the user base was too small, now the people demanding great graphics all have DX10/11 capable cards.

The OP will have to suck it up and get modern - or play it on a console
- it's called progress and i am looking forward to the end of DX9 games
:thumbsup:

RobertPters77

Feb 11, 2011
Alot.

If it has DX10 running DX9 in XP then what would be the problem?

My good ol' x1900xt ran bc2 damn well in my vista machine at work.

But anyway I'm glad that some company is propelling us into the DirectX 11 era. Now if only valve would stop being so goddamn lazy and upgrade their overrated source engine(there I said it! Source is shit compared to Unreal. As much as I hate cliffy b. Epic is atleast making an effort to improve their engines). Then we'd finally have enough leverage for developers to start creating awesome graphically intensive pc games like yesteryear.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Different games. PC BF3 is not a port but developed from the ground-up for the PC using today's current technology. DX9 is not current and the Alpha looks spectacular in DX11.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Different games. PC BF3 is not a port but developed from the ground-up for the PC using today's current technology. DX9 is not current and the Alpha looks spectacular in DX11.
I have heard otherwise about the alpha...Looks exactly the same(slightly worse due to limited graphics) as Bad Company 2, also heard the game is exactly the same as BC2, just larger maps, and better explosions pfft.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
It baffles me that this is even an issue. People need to move on from their 10-year-old operating systems.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Vista came out in January 07 (retail, over 4 years ago)
The first DirectX 10 cards were shipping in November the year before.

The one thing PC gamers have always held over the head of console gamers is the fact that their hardware progresses and is awesome while the console remains stagnant. And you're complaining when the platform BF3 is meant to be played on decides to take strides towards destroying the console?

You really can't fucking win. Jesus christ.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I have heard otherwise about the alpha...Looks exactly the same(slightly worse due to limited graphics) as Bad Company 2, also heard the game is exactly the same as BC2, just larger maps, and better explosions pfft.

You can watch the videos online. :rolleyes:

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000

I have heard that BF3 will cure cancer, but I'd be dumb to believe it because I HAVEN'T SEEN IT FOR MYSELF.

;)

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Well, I'm playing it. Much improved graphics, sound, scale and realism. Initial observations may be due to some people not knowing how to access and change graphic settings, etc...

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Well, I'm playing it. Much improved graphics, sound, scale and realism. Initial observations may be due to some people not knowing how to access and change graphic settings, etc...
I'm also in it...to me this is bad company 2.5 feels nothing like the sequel to battlefield 2.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I'm also in it...to me this is bad company 2.5 feels nothing like the sequel to battlefield 2.

Why? B/c of the single map we're playing and it's only 32 player currently? I would like to think just the attention to detail placed in the map is much greater than any BC2 map then add lighting, sound, movement, etc...

If you're in it, why do you use the term, 'heard' in your comments? Have you adjusted your settings?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001

I'm calling bullshit on you being in it from your previous comments in this thread alone.

Quote 1
Originally Posted by JumBie

Originally Posted by Capt Caveman

Quote 2
Originally Posted by JumBie

Originally Posted Nintendesert
You can watch the videos online. :rolleyes:

I have watched the videos online :)

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Why is this even a issure DX 11>DX 10>DX 9. Why the hell would anyone want to play this game with DX 9?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Why is this even a issure DX 11>DX 10>DX 9. Why the hell would anyone want to play this game with DX 9?

Don't know, based on the fact that a quad-core cpu is recommended, you'd think people would also be upgrading their gpu's.