Battlefield 3 360 controller support

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
WTF, it seems like the games controller support is fine, but im on the train and this jackass attacks me and its telling me to rmb (which is right trigger) and it does not work at all. The only way to kill the guy is to use rmb, and i am NOT going to alternate between mouse and controller, because thats just dumb.

I wanted to play it on PC because of the better graphics, but this is a put off. It doesnt even have the right buttons on screen when something pops up, it gives the keyboard controls - which i wouldnt even mind except the controller doesnt fully work.

Last edited:

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
with auto-aim, i'm sure it is

havent played the game, so i cant comment on what auto-aim does.... but i can assume your implying that its cheating to use a controller or something?

I honestly can care less, im playing the campaign and sitting back, and just want to enjoy the game. Im getting sick of devs not putting support in games. 95% of games out for PC have controller support in, why not just make the support work.

Same deal with Mass Effect, ended up buying it on 360 because of no controller support. Its pathetic that a game like that doesnt have it.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
why doesn't it work right? who knows? most games were made for xbox in the first place. "Press Start to continue" wtf??

exactly. Its just lazy or stubborn on the devs part. It sucks that most games are designed for consoles and then ported to PC, but the upside should be its really easy to make controller support BECAUSE ITS THE SAME GAME!

Im almost even more pissed in this case, because they just less-than half-assed the support for this game. IT works when just playing regular, but when you have to perform some kind of action your fucked.

I dont understand that if they have my right trigger in place of the right mouse, why doesnt right trigger work in this situation? Completely ridicullous.

Sucks to have to play games on your 360 when your have a gaming PC that gets less and less use because of lazy ass developers who dont want to build in controller support.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
its telling me to rmb (which is right trigger) and it does not work at all

RMB is typically left trigger on consoles. RMB = aim down sight. On consoles that typically is the left trigger.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
FPS games should not be played with a controller, period.

IF you have a PC and a console(s), play the PC version and learn how to use the keyboard/mouse combo - you'll kick yourself for ever thinking otherwise.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I prefer using a controller, not an uncommon preference. You should try it, its much more enjoyable.

I see no way it could be more enjoyable for an FPS. I have played a lot of FPS games with a controller, and I am far FAR more accurate with a mouse, along with much faster movement.

But as for you question, why did you map the controller opposite of what it is on the console? Aim down the sites is always left trigger.

Last edited:

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
But as for you question, why did you map the controller opposite of what it is on the console? Aim down the sites is always left trigger.

Sorry i typed the wrong button, but pressed the right (left) button when playing. many other action buttons dont work either - even though they map to the same key.

Yes i understand for MOST people who game on the computer, keyboard and mouse ir more accurate, but this isnt true for all.

More importantly, its not about performance, its about experience. I personally want to sit back, and play BF and enjoy it, rather than lean over a keyboard and mouse the whole time.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I ALWAYS prefer a controller over keyboard and mouse - and weve gotten to a point where just about every PC game comes with controller support built in. So knowing that, i pretty much have given up on keyboard and mouse.

I really hope valve comes out with "steam box" specs, and forces developers to build in controller support for every game.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
If you're playing the single player game with the controller, then by all means. Don't expect to be even remotely competitive in MP though.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
If you're playing the single player game with the controller, then by all means. Don't expect to be even remotely competitive in MP though.

Well thats what i intended. I wanted the game pretty bad anyway, but couldnt decide whether i wanted it for 360 - for MP with a controller (everyone using it too), or for PC, to use with a gamepad, and just play the campaign, and maybe try the keyboard and mouse for multiplayer.

When i saw both games on sale for 30 on origin, i just said f it and bought both for 60 (Was gonna spend 60 anyway). I ended up getting a refund for the pc version. Origin support was actually really great about it.

lsv

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2009
You're playing on a PC and CHOSE to use a controller? What.

Oct 25, 2006
I can't believe someone would use a controller for FPS play. I use my DS3 for flying jets and helicopters sure, but for on ground? Please play in the games I play so I can destroy you.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Obviously you hardcore PC gamers are biased towards using a controller, but i would guess that MOST people prefer, and are more comfortable with a controller, especially ones transitioning from consoles.

I play some games with keyboard and mouse. I remember playing half-life, and half life 2, but when a hack came out to let my use a controller, i set it up and i was super pumped to be able to use a controller.

I can't believe someone would use a controller for FPS play. I use my DS3 for flying jets and helicopters sure, but for on ground? Please play in the games I play so I can destroy you.

YEs please, come into my campaign mode and "destroy" me, while im sitting on my couch laid back with a 360 controller. :rolleyes:

Oct 25, 2006
Obviously you hardcore PC gamers are biased towards using a controller, but i would guess that MOST people prefer, and are more comfortable with a controller, especially ones transitioning from consoles.

I play some games with keyboard and mouse. I remember playing half-life, and half life 2, but when a hack came out to let my use a controller, i set it up and i was super pumped to be able to use a controller.

YEs please, come into my campaign mode and "destroy" me, while im sitting on my couch laid back with a 360 controller. :rolleyes:

You bought a multiplayer game to play a short, crappy campaign?

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
You bought a multiplayer game to play a short, crappy campaign?

Eventually i woud have liked to try MP with a keyboard and mouse, but for campaign mode i wanted to just enjoy it. Which would be the reason why i returned the game. Like i said it was just lazy on the devs part to half-ass the controls on the 360 controller when every game should support it. Especially console ports. I can understand other games not supporting it (like diablo and other games that wont be available on consoles)

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
no need to attack him for preferring to play with a controller, particularly if he's not going to play multi-player.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
I have a friend that plays BF3 on his PS3.... I see him using the controller, and oh my god is it inaccurate! He's swinning his aim all over the screen with the little joystick thing... takes 2-3 seconds to aim on an enemy...

He wants to try it on PC for the better graphics, but doesn't want to use a keyboard & mouse....

Facepalm.

realjetavenger

Dec 8, 2008
I have a friend that plays BF3 on his PS3.... I see him using the controller, and oh my god is it inaccurate! He's swinning his aim all over the screen with the little joystick thing... takes 2-3 seconds to aim on an enemy...

He wants to try it on PC for the better graphics, but doesn't want to use a keyboard & mouse....

Facepalm.

I have it on both ps3 and pc (friends bought it for ps3 and now don't even play). On ps3, I have the same exact problem. Just off center, those analog sticks are waaay too sensitive and the aim goes back and forth, left and right mostly missing the target.
Yeah, it is so much better on pc with kb & mouse it isn't funny.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008

Facepalm.

I have it on both ps3 and pc (friends bought it for ps3 and now don't even play). On ps3, I have the same exact problem. Just off center, those analog sticks are waaay too sensitive and the aim goes back and forth, left and right mostly missing the target.
Yeah, it is so much better on pc with kb & mouse it isn't funny.

Like i said before, is it always about being better? Its all about preference. When you get used to it its not bad. Just ask the 24124125124313 people who play FPS games on xbox live.

I dont care if ill eventually be better with a keyboard and mouse, im playing campaign mode - where it doesnt matter - and i strongly prefer a controller.

and even it if did make the game harder, is that necessarily worse? why would i want to make it easier on myself? maybe i like challenging games. If that is true, then man up and and try to play the game with a controller, instead of taking the easy way out with a mouse........

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
The point of owning a PC is that it allows you to make choices such as this. I have no problem using a controller when playing Halo on the Xbox, but on the PC I use a keyboard and mouse.

It is my choice to do that.

Someone else's choice is different. Does it matter? Why are people acting so offended at such a simple thing?