Battlefield 2042 - official thread

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
- I do not own BF2042 nor will I ever own BF2042, but what's this about "not sure how long that will be available"?

Are devs rotating through game modes per season or something? If so, that would be one of the most mindbogglingly frustrating experience of all time and I don't understand how someone can pay for a game and be ok with game modes coming and going at the developer's whim.
Yes this would be correct, not all the game modes are in bf2042 that we've known from the past.

• Wow
Reactions: GodisanAtheist

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
- I do not own BF2042 nor will I ever own BF2042, but what's this about "not sure how long that will be available"?

Are devs rotating through game modes per season or something? If so, that would be one of the most mindbogglingly frustrating experience of all time and I don't understand how someone can pay for a game and be ok with game modes coming and going at the developer's whim.

BF has always added different game modes with some iterations of the game, while keeping a few classics constant. This time around they increased player count from 64 total to 128 total due to technology being able to handle it - plus a lot of players did want even bigger battles. But that didn't work out great for the maps they designed, so it's been a blessing they had some 64 player game modes. Basically it's the same game modes, just for 64 players with the maps adjusted for that player count. And these are much more balanced and fun. They are supposedly temporary/in a rotation for now.

It's been great because it's fun again. A lot of the BF streamers are like this is the good stuff - better design and works better and a lot of people are having fun again, which is why I'd expect they make these sized game modes permanent but who knows with a lot of game developers.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
It's going to take me a few months to get BF2042. I need a 3060 or better and I want a Zen 3D CPU when they are released. I played the beta, I thought it was good but demanded a lot of CPU and GPU power.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It's going to take me a few months to get BF2042. I need a 3060 or better and I want a Zen 3D CPU when they are released. I played the beta, I thought it was good but demanded a lot of CPU and GPU power.
Take your time, the game is still very unoptimized on PC. Eventually they will optimize it at some point, we hope. Even on the empty maps with 128 players I was often getting 70-90fps but with a lot of drops sporadically.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Take your time, the game is still very unoptimized on PC. Eventually they will optimize it at some point, we hope. Even on the empty maps with 128 players I was often getting 70-90fps but with a lot of drops sporadically.
If you have BF1, that game is like butter for me @ 1440p. Getting 120-130fps with slightly modified settings between medium and high. BF5 is around 90-100fps for me @1440p.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
If you have BF1, that game is like butter for me @ 1440p. Getting 120-130fps with slightly modified settings between medium and high. BF5 is around 90-100fps for me @1440p.
heh, I have a i5-6600k and a 3060. The CPU is pegged at 100% and I get 40-50 fps at 1080p for 2042. That's playable for me.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
They just need a 128 player mode on the 64 player maps sizes
That would be too crowded. Maybe like 84 players tops.

They need to just make better maps as fast as possible and keep focusing on the 64 player modes as much as anything else. I've seen the most positive feedback on the game about them.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
That would be too crowded. Maybe like 84 players tops.

They need to just make better maps as fast as possible and keep focusing on the 64 player modes as much as anything else. I've seen the most positive feedback on the game about them.
Lots of people have been asking for it to be more crowded or dense for decades. That also seems to be everyone's complaint about the 128 player maps, they are too spread out and no cover. Smaller maps, more players, let natural lines of battle form.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Lots of people have been asking for it to be more crowded or dense for decades. That also seems to be everyone's complaint about the 128 player maps, they are too spread out and no cover. Smaller maps, more players, let natural lines of battle form.

Yes a bit more busy but if you put 128 players on these new 64 player maps it would be a twitch fest. The BF community I know does not want their own version of COD.

The new 128 player maps are too big, especially the one on ice. There would be a balance somewhere in the middle I think.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Joined some groups last night via the XBox Groups feature and played in four man squads with everyone on mics in a party.

Some pretty epic battles. Even played one map of the big conquest maps that are not my favorite and with four people doing some coordinating together, someone grabbing a vehicle, it's much better. I still think some of those maps are too big but voice chat changes things a bit, for the better.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

btw if you want crowded mayhem, play 128 player Breakthrough

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
If you're willing to buy the game through Epic games they have a $10 off $15+ coupon that will bring 2042's price down to $30. It's really tempting because I really want to play a modern battlefield game against bots.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
TDM came out the other day and it's a blast. Sometimes the spawn spots are terrible in that you'll spawn in and then an enemy does 20 feet behind you and you die instantly. It's rare but it happens

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Is there a way to move the mini-map to a 2nd monitor?

I've been playing with AI beginner bots exclusively. I played 3 games last night and they were relentless. My team wasn't doing crap so I just grabbed a sniper rifle for the first time and kept my distance. I can't snipe worth a darn but I got tired of getting killed by someone I couldn't even see.

One thing I noticed about the bots is if you hit them once they immediately head for cover. I don't have a steady hand so killing them at distances when I can barely see them is difficult for me. They seem to have little problem though.

Except for last night I'm having a good time though. Even set up TDM with bots in portal but it sucks not getting any unlocks so I only play it to blow off some steam or get warmed up.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Is there a way to move the mini-map to a 2nd monitor?

I've been playing with AI beginner bots exclusively. I played 3 games last night and they were relentless. My team wasn't doing crap so I just grabbed a sniper rifle for the first time and kept my distance. I can't snipe worth a darn but I got tired of getting killed by someone I couldn't even see.

One thing I noticed about the bots is if you hit them once they immediately head for cover. I don't have a steady hand so killing them at distances when I can barely see them is difficult for me. They seem to have little problem though.

Except for last night I'm having a good time though. Even set up TDM with bots in portal but it sucks not getting any unlocks so I only play it to blow off some steam or get warmed up.

I just want to move the minimap to the top right corner and don't see an option for that. It's more instinctive for me to look up and right than down and left to see the minimap for whatever reason. I wish you could do that. So I doubt you can use it on another screen. But I am on console.

Reactions: balloonshark

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Are your loadouts sometimes going back to default when you start a game?

Are your graphics setting just randomly changing? I noticed my GPU fan was loud last night so I checked the settings and noticed that RT and DLSS were on. I made sure they were off when I first ran the game. Now my card is running warm and fan is full speed and I can't figure out why. I reset the graphics settings, set the graphics to med. with vsync on and my gpu is still running warm.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Are your loadouts sometimes going back to default when you start a game?

Are your graphics setting just randomly changing? I noticed my GPU fan was loud last night so I checked the settings and noticed that RT and DLSS were on. I made sure they were off when I first ran the game. Now my card is running warm and fan is full speed and I can't figure out why. I reset the graphics settings, set the graphics to med. with vsync on and my gpu is still running warm.

yes loadouts are glitchy, you always have to look before a match to make sure it didn't switch you to another one.

Reactions: balloonshark

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Rush 2042 and team deathmatch modes are gone already. And we get a free for all mode that probably almost nobody wanted?

Oye vay this is bad.

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Rush 2042 and team deathmatch modes are gone already. And we get a free for all mode that probably almost nobody wanted?

Oye vay this is bad.

yeah it’s as if EA and Dice gave up and are purposefully sabotaging the fanbase at this point. Also, if you disable crossplay on the PC you’ll struggle getting into matches…because no one on PC is playing anymore.
This is a sad as I grew up on Battlefield. Loved 2, 2142, 3 and 4; I probably sank over 300 hours into each game. Now that I’m older and have less free time for gaming, I tend to be picky about what I spend my time playing. I’m all but moved on from this game.

/rant

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I honestly haven't played it either since the 3rd patch. Sucks that I hear they took out the rush game modes. Looks like they will just rotate random game modes whenever they feel like it.

Funny that an ex dice developer put a poll out on Twitter asking if people would prefer an updated battlefield 4 with the latest tech. Opinions seemed to be mixed but I know I would.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I was having fun playing Rush 2042, TDM and Breakthrough 64 along with occasionally Conquest when I had a full squad of players on comms.

Now they took away Rush 2042 which is nuts. It's synonymous with the fans of BF. Everybody wanted another Bad Company, and that's synonymous with Rush, so how do they not get it to keep the mode permanent? TDM is just a great game mode that people love too.

On Dec 31'st the new director of Battlefield was asked why EA tried to change BF into something it's not, he said,

"
I’m figuring that out myself. Then planning to fix things
— Marcus Lehto (@game_fabricator) December 31, 2021
"

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I didn't see that quote, but makes sense now. Its a tried and true formula, all they had to do was follow it and update things. Add a few "quirks and features". I don't know why I can't change my character to what I want it to be?!

I still have more fun playing the older maps, but then you can't upgrade the weapons in 2042 doing that and get slaughtered by someone who has. I'm not as invested with 2042 as I have been, it's not as much fun for me. BUT I do absolutely love playing the older maps with current graphics. I can see myself giving up on 2042 and just doing that.

I did download Halo last night, I can see myself killing time playing it. It wasn't terrible.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Apparently setting vsync and 60hz in 2042's setting won't cut frames down 60 and my GPU had been running full tilt even in the menus. As a temp fix I set max frames to 90 in Nvidia Control Panel - Manage 3d settings - Program settings tab - Battlefield 2042 and set Max frame rate to whatever you want. They also have a vsync setting that may work. Just posting in case anyone else was having the same issue. I got tired of my GPU throttling and wasting 200 watts of electricity for 3 to 4 hours a night.