Battlefield 1 released!

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
That's the biggest problem. You don't want to "practice" because if you suck, you will probably hear about it. But if you can't try, you won't get better. I was terrible with planes until i said eff it and just started flying around trying to hit things. After a few deaths, I learned to remap my controls and try out all the different planes. And I figured out why some people were dropping 8 bombs at once when I only dropped 2 to 4 or something.
Turn off the chats, both voice and message, ignore those fools and enjoy your game however you see fit. Ninety percent of all BF players suck anyhow, so who cares. :D

All this talk of planes made me want to fly for a change, or so I thought....

Flying in BF1 is nothing like BF3 or 4 where I had finally gotten decent, I cant do jack squat in these paper airplanes. LOL

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Is something up with matchmaking? Couldn't get into any operations and then conquest wouldn't work either. Used the server browser to find a game.
They were rebooting the back end yesterday morning and connections were spotty for several hours, and even later last night I had trouble finding any sort of game I really wanted to play.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
The planes seem to move too fast for the map sizes. They seem even faster after the patch for some reason. There also muat be something i am missing as people get behnd me and tear me up no matter how much i twist, dive, climb, turn but i can never stay on someones tail long enough to kill them.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Learn to use your airspeed, it makes a huge difference in turning and the ability to let others sail past and then get on their six.

In BF4 the jets made their tightest turns at an airspeed of 300 kmh which was pretty much mid throttle, what little I flew yesterday it seemed the attack plane turned tighter at really low speeds. Ill have to play with it some more to get a better feel for it. Its taking me some time to get used to all the switching of cameras and weapon views, along with trying to free look, it just feels more complicated to me this go around.

I think ill try it in hardcore today so there will be no 3rd person camera to deal with, and other planes should go down easier.

Reactions: TheNiceGuy

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Learn to use your airspeed, it makes a huge difference in turning and the ability to let others sail past and then get on their six.

In BF4 the jets made their tightest turns at an airspeed of 300 kmh which was pretty much mid throttle, what little I flew yesterday it seemed the attack plane turned tighter at really low speeds. Ill have to play with it some more to get a better feel for it. Its taking me some time to get used to all the switching of cameras and weapon views, along with trying to free look, it just feels more complicated to me this go around.

I think ill try it in hardcore today so there will be no 3rd person camera to deal with, and other planes should go down easier.

i don't feel like the plane turns any differently at slow speed vs high speed. but i constantly see guys out-turning me when i try to attack them.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
i don't feel like the plane turns any differently at slow speed vs high speed. but i constantly see guys out-turning me when i try to attack them.
I tried out the Fighter today and it's more to my liking since it's faster and more maneuverable. I was able to take down two attack planes, a bomber and one other fighter along with a couple of guys on the ground before getting chewed up by an AA gun. I could tell, especially when dogfighting the other fighter that slowing does indeed tighten the turns. He was tailing me first but I was able to out turn him and get on his six and stay there. By following and trying to tail other planes you can see what makes turning faster if you play with the throttle, slow down to turn, then speed up if he starts to pull away. Pulling your mouse into it also seems to tighten things up a bit, after a while it will become more natural. By the end of that round I felt pretty comfortable in the fighter, oh and the fast repair (press 3) really helps.

I still feel really awkward in the attack plane, it's going to take quite a bit more patience and practice for me to get the hang of it.

I was never able to get into a hardcore server with any players, so I just flew around in an empty server practicing shooting windmills like a Don Quixote for a while. :D

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
The more I play BF1, the less I like it. I'm not sure what it is, it's just not that fun and I don't know why.

I am also starting to feel the same way; usually only play Operations for about an hour before I have had enough BF1, but could play BF3 and BF4 for hours.

Pigeon mode can be fun with a decent team.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000

I found that learning to fly with the Fighter is easiest -- bomber ramming is just hilarious. It's the most maneuverable but its weaponry kind of sucks for ground attacks. Tank Hunter attack plane is pretty good for a mix of bombing ability and agility. Bomber great for spam but easy to shoot down.

Throttle control is a big thing as is the rudder. I stupidly had both mapped to the right side of my keyboard for a while and didn't do so well.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've gotten better with the bomber plane. After moving the fire key from space to something else and then using space for pitch up. I also should change the throttle from w to something else perhaps. I only usually use the planes on conquest because it takes forever to get anywhere on that game mode.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i quit. this game is garbage. should never have bought it

i can't play this game any more. it just makes me f-ing rage every time. this can't be good for my health.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
i quit. this game is garbage. should never have bought it

i can't play this game any more. it just makes me f-ing rage every time. this can't be good for my health.
It does piss me off sometimes but only when I have to play regular mode. This game should be hardcore only and be done with it.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I was done a week ago when they broke it for me with the latest patch. Oh well, Steam should have a sale soon.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Not sure if I'm a fan of giants shadow map. 90% of the time I can't see jack s***.

I did kill it on regular mode last night. Won a match in domination while my team was doing absolutely nothing and I joined late too while being away from keyboard the first 5 minutes. My team wanted to kick me at first but I ended up winning the round in the end by defending 6 flags.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I'm on the fence with this game. It's been months since I've played any games really, only playing BF4 pistols only server for about a year before that. My brother's been trying to convince me to pick it up, but I'm not even sure my rig can play it well enough. Watching the videos, the game does look amazing though.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, the fighter planes have crazy maneuverability. They're also the only ones where you can alter your flight speed while repairing. My graphics card is a bit old, so all the quick turning is pretty jagged and makes me a bit motion sick. The attack planes are more my style. You can also taxi people around for variety.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah, the fighter planes have crazy maneuverability. They're also the only ones where you can alter your flight speed while repairing. My graphics card is a bit old, so all the quick turning is pretty jagged and makes me a bit motion sick. The attack planes are more my style. You can also taxi people around for variety.
One funny thing to do is try and knock down enemies with the planes. You can actually kill them by running into them with your wings, just not at full speed though. Works well with horsemen too.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Not sure if I'm a fan of giants shadow map. 90% of the time I can't see jack s***.

I did kill it on regular mode last night. Won a match in domination while my team was doing absolutely nothing and I joined late too while being away from keyboard the first 5 minutes. My team wanted to kick me at first but I ended up winning the round in the end by defending 6 flags.

I only played a couple rush games on it. Both times it was half of the team sitting in windmills as sniper. First game on attack I tried playing normally, we lost. Second game on defense I equipped the limpet charge and spent half the game blowing up windmills. That was fun. :)

I found a new appreciation for the limpet charge. You can throw it a decent distance and you can sneak up on tanks pretty easily most times since they are hardly ever fully populated so the side/rear are blind spots for them.

Last night I checked out all the custom gamemodes, only 1 hardcore rush server was populated, ~50 empty servers. wierd

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I only played a couple rush games on it. Both times it was half of the team sitting in windmills as sniper. First game on attack I tried playing normally, we lost. Second game on defense I equipped the limpet charge and spent half the game blowing up windmills. That was fun. :)

I found a new appreciation for the limpet charge. You can throw it a decent distance and you can sneak up on tanks pretty easily most times since they are hardly ever fully populated so the side/rear are blind spots for them.

Last night I checked out all the custom gamemodes, only 1 hardcore rush server was populated, ~50 empty servers. wierd

Haven't even played the new map yet. every time i join i get put in the crap rotation of suez, monte grappa, and fao fortress.

I kind of want to try the standard issue rifles mode before i totally quit, but seems the servers are always full (or empty), or have high ping.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
One funny thing to do is try and knock down enemies with the planes. You can actually kill them by running into them with your wings, just not at full speed though. Works well with horsemen too.
I've been able to take out several nerd players who live on the internet by dropping speed during pursuit, and they run into the back of the plane, deploy flares and they get torched.

Ive used the limpet charges from the beginning, it's my favorite kit. You can remodel buildings to your liking. I.e. Trap yourself on a third story.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
If there is a discount on the full version get that one as it will include all the maps. I still haven't decided if I'll buy a premium pass.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
If there is a discount on the full version get that one as it will include all the maps. I still haven't decided if I'll buy a premium pass.

Which one is that? They list them as
Standard Edition
Deluxe Edition
Ultimate Edition

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Which one is that? They list them as
Standard Edition
Deluxe Edition
Ultimate Edition
Ultimate because the deluxe just has skins and stuff. Standard has one free map which already came out, giants shadow.