Battlefield 1 released!

Page 45 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I do very well with all the LMGs other than the Madsens, I hate those things with mag sticking up blocking your view.

Learn to control the recoil and you can really chew thru people with the high capacity suppression models.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I wish I they would add into hardcore mode showing you who you killed and also somehow make the friendly tags show up quicker.

They also seem to have taken hardcore rush out. I only see it every now and then when I get on during the weekends.

I did notice there was a semi hardcore rush set up if you mess with all the filters but that is annoying to try and and find a game that way.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
I find gas grenades double as a crude proximity detector.
It's funny to go up on the roof in Ballroom or blowout the stairs in the building so no one can get to you, and drop gas grenades and Limpet mines on people with your ammunition crate.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I've actually been dying to gas a bit more lately because I don't see it or hear it, nor does my character cough, but on the kill screen it will show gas as what killed me.

I think it's too powerful though. it takes like 20 health or more per second no matter if you are in the middle or the edge. I think it should do less damage the further from the center of the radius you are.

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
They just lifted the embargo for the new map and patch coming out on Tuesday for Premium and Pre-orders and a week later for the rest. It is a free map for all, just Premium/Pre-orders get access first.

I'm looking forward to the Standard Issue Rifles mode for iron sights and bolt actions.

Youtube Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrxn80p1RGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUnV2jiTjXc

Patch Notes from JackFrags:
http://pastebin.com/MRYABYZA

*Introducing Giant’s Shadow*
With a massive crashed airship casting its shadow onto the battlefield, Giant’s Shadow brings fierce combat on the open ground and river banks alongside the Cateau-Wassigny railway.
Fight in the shadow of a crashed giant
The Battle of the Selle, 1918. Cold autumn. British forces have broken through the Hindenburg line and are heading towards a strategic railway center. The outcome is uncertain. An armored train can still turn the tide.
*Available December 13, 2016 for pre-order and Premium Pass customers. Giant’s Shadow will drop for all Battlefield 1 playerson December 20, 2016 as a free map pack.BATTLEFIELD 1 ON APPLICABLE PLATFORM (SOLD SEPARATELY) AND ALL GAME UPDATES, INTERNET CONNECTION, EA ACCOUNT, AND (FOR CONSOLE PLAYERS) AN XBOX LIVE GOLD OR PLAYSTATION PLUS ACCOUNT REQUIRED FOR GIANT’S SHADOW.Retail preorder customers will need to enter their code on the PlayStation®Store/Xbox Store/Origin Store to download the Giant’s Map content starting on December 13, 2016. Early access ends December 20, 2016.

*New Custom Game setting–StandardIssue Rifles*
A new Custom Game option has been added: Standard Issue Rifles. In SIR all kits are granted access to their faction’s standard issue rifle. For example, the British are granted the SMLE MKIII. These rifles are not equipped with optics, and are intended to provide players with gameplay inspired by the WW1 trenches. As a Custom Game option, this can be enabled or disabled with other weapon types to create a variety of experiences. SIR is not available as part of the base game experience. We feel that the ability to equip SIR in vanilla would negatively impact the combat roles of the classes. As a clear WW1 fantasy, we hope that SIR scratches an itch for our broad and diverse player base.

*Shotguns*
Shotgun balance has been addressed in this update, with the primary goal of evening out the advantages and disadvantages of each type of shotgun. We noticed that some shotguns were unintentionally strong at certain distances, most obvious with the Model 10-A Hunter and Factory, which could kill a full health target at long range (for a shotgun). Players were naturally preferring these shotguns over others. To prevent this, we reduced the range for the buckshot variants of the M97 Trench Gun, Model 10-A and Sawed Off Shotgun, reducing the maximum one-hit kill distance. To make the M97 Trench gun more attractive we added an extra pellet to all variants and slightly improved the damage drop-off for the Sweeper variant. The Backbored shotgun variants had their range improved, as previously you took too big of a hit for the improved recoil. We increased the accuracy of the 12g Automatic to allow users to make use of its high rate of fire more effectively. Tweaked crosshairs will make it easier to land your damage consistently for all shotguns.

*Syringe*
We’ve added a short cool down between syringe uses and added the ability to ignore the cooldown if near an ammo crate. Together a Medic and a Support can team up to quickly revive a large amount of soldiers. The cool down is minor, and is intended to only prevent the near instant revive of several soldiers in a very short time. Reviving a single soldier is unaffected. We feel this is a good balance to prevent “revive trains” from a single Medic, while not reducing the usefulness of revive, with a bonus of additional teamplay.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Finally started trying to fly planes. It's more fun when there isn't a level 80+ pilot kill you shortly after spawning... Biggest problem has been my map zoomed too far out and not knowing where anyone is -- my team or opposing.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I wish I they would add into hardcore mode showing you who you killed and also somehow make the friendly tags show up quicker.

They also seem to have taken hardcore rush out. I only see it every now and then when I get on during the weekends.

I did notice there was a semi hardcore rush set up if you mess with all the filters but that is annoying to try and and find a game that way.
It would be nice if they just let you filter for HC vs Normal servers and not have to go thru the custom games matchmaking BS. I hate matchmaking! I want to have a choice of what Im going into.

The new map is fun to play but heavily favors the German side, Ive yet to see the Brits win a game there.

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
Is it me or is the in game browser useless. Battlelog at least had working filters and could list more than 16 results at a time.

The annoying thing with the in game browser is that you need to be very specific with the search terms or you will get a broken search result in either no servers or just a bunch of noise. Searching for the new standard issues game mode is useless as you need to go into the advanced full filters and enable it and then disable all the other weapon settings. Searching for server names bypasses the region filters or any custom filters that are set making searching within a search useless.

It is great that BF1 is the most stable BF at launch, however, the front end UI is really bad. It would have been nice to have the battlog as a backup to the ingame server browser since it is so sparse and broken.

Reactions: DeadFred

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Is it me or is the in game browser useless. Battlelog at least had working filters and could list more than 16 results at a time.

The annoying thing with the in game browser is that you need to be very specific with the search terms or you will get a broken search result in either no servers or just a bunch of noise. Searching for the new standard issues game mode is useless as you need to go into the advanced full filters and enable it and then disable all the other weapon settings. Searching for server names bypasses the region filters or any custom filters that are set making searching within a search useless.

It is great that BF1 is the most stable BF at launch, however, the front end UI is really bad. It would have been nice to have the battlog as a backup to the ingame server browser since it is so sparse and broken.
I rarely try to use it because it's too cumbersome to search for something. It should have the game modes and play style filters and the rest of the stuff should go in advanced.

Trying to use it to find a hard core rush server is so annoying as you mentioned having to turn on and off all the options.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
The useless in game server browser and the lack of server control for those who want to rent servers will cause the early death of this game if they dont fix those two glaring issues.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Last edited:

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
The fog on this new map.......ERMAHGERD!!!!

PS -You gassers need to be fined a kings ransom for each nade thrown. Proud to say I havent tossed the first one yet, just seems silly to use those when you have other options that can actually blow stuff up.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I guess everyone else gets to play the new map on the 20th?

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I guess everyone else gets to play the new map on the 20th?

Yup. Without Premium or pre-order, you get the map on the 20th.

New map is mostly long range fighting other than right on top of the points. You can try to sneak pass C&D for back caps but good luck if there's a sniper watching.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
The fog on this new map.......ERMAHGERD!!!!

PS -You gassers need to be fined a kings ransom for each nade thrown. Proud to say I havent tossed the first one yet, just seems silly to use those when you have other options that can actually blow stuff up.

I can get lucky on one explosion or I can completely mess up a group of people running into a gas cloud:). And I've had limited success with regular grenades even when spamming Medic launcher grenades.

And what is this Support grenade crossbow?

Edit: That's great. Game won't load after update. Keeps crashing to desktop once it starts loading.

Edit:Edit: Yep, games busted. Every time I start it, the spinning circle in the top right corner freezes a few seconds in while the screen is still black. Noticed a warning about my video driver crashing so went to Event Viewer: they're all related to the driver.

My video card's "legacy" so no driver to update -- you could tell me to buy a new card but it was working until the new patch and frame rate was smooth. Checked the BF1 forums, others having the same problem. Guess I'll wait for an update or that's it for me.

Last edited:

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
I rarely try to use it because it's too cumbersome to search for something. It should have the game modes and play style filters and the rest of the stuff should go in advanced.

Trying to use it to find a hard core rush server is so annoying as you mentioned having to turn on and off all the options.

I can get lucky on one explosion or I can completely mess up a group of people running into a gas cloud:). And I've had limited success with regular grenades even when spamming Medic launcher grenades.

And what is this Support grenade crossbow?

Edit: That's great. Game won't load after update. Keeps crashing to desktop once it starts loading.

Edit:Edit: Yep, games busted. Every time I start it, the spinning circle in the top right corner freezes a few seconds in while the screen is still black. Noticed a warning about my video driver crashing so went to Event Viewer: they're all related to the driver.

My video card's "legacy" so no driver to update -- you could tell me to buy a new card but it was working until the new patch and frame rate was smooth. Checked the BF1 forums, others having the same problem. Guess I'll wait for an update or that's it for me.
As mentioned earlier, I disabled DX 12, and that's reduced the crashes on my system.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I can get lucky on one explosion or I can completely mess up a group of people running into a gas cloud:).

Yep, its a troll's dream grenade. Hmm, guess I should be using it after all. LOL

Sucks about your game crashes, but welcome to BF, where each update brings new headaches for someone who previously had no headache.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Played last night for first time after patch. Played only support. I did really well compared to previously. Either the changes made things easier for me or i just had good luck. The game felt like it was running smoother too for some reason. Was using the scoped bar for most of the time and it seemed more accurate. Tried the new crossbow but didn't find it much useful, but maybe i didnt have the right situations. I like the tweak to mortars, doesnt take so long to use them now, but i still find them pretty useless. I still rarely get a kill with them.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I can launch the game again...... except now the sidebar and Friends section of the main menu flickers like crazy. Ended up deleting the file saving my audio/video settings. Opening the files up with wordpad suggested that the video/audio saved to a file separate from keybindings, but I didn't change that many keybindings.

Edit: Nope, no dice. Tried to start a Conquest game. Loading took longer than usual but I waited longer... then got a crash to desktop with a video card error. So, between two days ago and yesterday, my video card or system suddenly became inadequate. Must have been one hell of an "improvement" to justify that.

I think that's that. I'm not upgrading and I got 120 hours out of it. Not in the mood to troubleshoot anymore. And I've been meaning to stop "wasting time" playing it. Reminds me of Battlefield 4, actually. Tried it on a new system years ago, got to play a few minutes before it BSOD'd and I uninstalled it.

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
The new support HE crossbow seems useless, does like 8 damage to a tank. Probably just going to run the frag one or mortar. The new mortar mechanic is much better than the previous patch, it is borderline useful now. I still haven't found much use for limpet charges except in super rare occurrences (hiding in a crater when a tank drives over me, but that only happened once).

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
The new support HE crossbow seems useless, does like 8 damage to a tank. Probably just going to run the frag one or mortar. The new mortar mechanic is much better than the previous patch, it is borderline useful now. I still haven't found much use for limpet charges except in super rare occurrences (hiding in a crater when a tank drives over me, but that only happened once).

When I could still play, I tried the limpet charge a few times. It worked as a good suicide bomb on infantry. Tried it on a heavy tank, thought it'd do serious damage because I'd been killed a few times before with one in a tank... nope. It's useful destroying buildings, but so is an HE mortar from a block away. HE mortar can do like ~20 damage to a tank with a direct hit. With 5 shells, it's not terrible.

I actually got used to the mortar in the previous patch. Was doing almost as well as pre-nerf. I just had to set up in safer places to wait for the cooldown and choose targets more carefully.