Battery on CMOS fault

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
Hi,
I have a computer at work and the battery keeps failing on the CMOS. I've replaced twice in the space of a year. Is it most likely a faulty motherboard?

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Could be.

Probably a stupid question, but were are you getting your replacement batteries? Have you tried a different brand?

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
I got the batteries from a local jeweler. But the original battery in their came with the computer and that must of been from a different supplier (well 99.9999% sure). This will be the 4th different battery going in.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
If you could insert an ammeter in series with the battery, you can find out if too much current is being pulled from it.

How much time does this computer spend without power?

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
If you could insert an ammeter in series with the battery, you can find out if too much current is being pulled from it.

How much time does this computer spend without power?

It is always plugged into the mains, but the computer is probably switched on for around 2-4 hours a day, Monday to Friday.

I have no experience with an ammeter ... how would I go about that?

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
If it is always plugged into the mains then it shouldnt matter. Even when the PC is off, the standby circuit should be providing power from the mains. The mains power should be setting and holding the voltage at the battery terminal, preventing the battery from discharging at all.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
If it is always plugged into the mains then it shouldnt matter. Even when the PC is off, the standby circuit should be providing power from the mains. The mains power should be setting and holding the voltage at the battery terminal, preventing the battery from discharging at all.

True. It makes me wonder if the power supply might be malfunctioning.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I'm not sure how it could malfunction to produce such a failure. Even if the powered on voltage to the cmos circuit was lower than the battery voltage, the battery would jsut discharge until the voltages equalized. We know this voltage cannot be too low or else it wouldnt work at all. If the power supply to cmos was too low then the computer would cease functioning as soon as you pulled the battery out or until the battery died.

mlc

Jan 22, 2005
if you've gone through several batteries, and they always fail shortly after putting them in... and assuming they are the correct type of battery, then i would think one of 2 things to be the problem

1) motherboard circuitry at fault... how old in the board? do you see signs of age (bulging caps, etc?)

2) there is a short between the board and the case standoff... pull the board and make sure they all line up with the install holes, etc..