Barney Frank confronts constituent re: Nazi healthcare

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYlZiWK2Iy8

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...s/us_health_care_frank

This woman was one of your typical nutballs comparing proposed US healthcare to nazi deathsquads. These people do not deserve to be treated with respect. Yes, they have the first amendment right to say what they think. We have the first amendment right to call them psychotic freaks.

Any bets on which tv host gets her on first and treats her as a trampled "hero", O'Reilly, Beck or Hannity? She seems to fit Beck's particular brand of whackadoo best so I'll go with him.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: jonks

This woman was one of your typical nutballs comparing proposed US healthcare to nazi deathsquads. These people do not deserve to be treated with respect. Yes, they have the first amendment right to say what they think. We have the first amendment right to call them psychotic freaks.

Any bets on which tv host gets her on first and treats her as a trampled "hero", O'Reilly, Beck or Hannity? She seems to fit Beck's particular brand of whackadoo best so I'll go with him.

FYI she's not a Conservative Wingnut, she's a Larouche supporter. I've seen them around spouting that same BS with posters of Obama defaced as Hitler along with posters of Bush shown as a buffoon.

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
One one side you have the stupid lady in this clip and on the other side you have Pelosi accusing people of carrying swastika's. They are both nuts, the problem is one of them is in a position of power.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Druidx
One one side you have the stupid lady in this clip and on the other side you have Pelosi accusing people of carrying swastika's. They are both nuts, the problem is one of them is in a position of power.
You're absolutely correct.

His response is good, though. I do think the man is a real douche, though.

Bibble

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2006
My aunt told me how a priest in a church she was visiting compared the new healthcare plan to eugenics in Nazi Germany (i.e. the government killing those who are not helpful to society) in his homily. This is was the first and only instance I had heard of this comparison, but apparently there are others out there who are using it as well.

Can someone please explain to me the argument that these people are making?

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Frank does make some good points in these video's.. too bad other times he opens his mouth he's a complete douche.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Bibble
My aunt told me how a priest in a church she was visiting compared the new healthcare plan to eugenics in Nazi Germany (i.e. the government killing those who are not helpful to society) in his homily. This is was the first and only instance I had heard of this comparison, but apparently there are others out there who are using it as well.

It's a reference to the "death panel". google "Palin death panel" for some background, has to do with gov paying for seniors to consult for end of life stuff.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005

Well like you said.. they are comparing it to the life not fit to live crap they did in Germany. They have no base and why we call them nutjobs.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Skoorb

It's a reference to the "death panel". google "Palin death panel" for some background, has to do with gov paying for seniors to consult for end of life stuff.

I had a conversation this morning with an oldtimer (77, I believe) about a power-of-attorney. The conversation turned to a living will and health care power-of-attorney. From his mouth:

"" How stupid do these people think old people are with all this 'Death Panel' talk? ""

He was pissed.

ANYWAY, folks need a living will and health care POA regardless of age. It can start simple and evolve with age.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

FYI she's not a Conservative Wingnut, she's a Larouche supporter. I've seen them around spouting that same BS with posters of Obama defaced as Hitler along with posters of Bush shown as a buffoon.

I didn't claim she was conservative or liberal, just that she was nuts. But my bet stands as to which host would hear her grievances.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
Originally posted by: Skoorb

I had a conversation this morning with an oldtimer (77, I believe) about a power-of-attorney. The conversation turned to a living will and health care power-of-attorney. From his mouth:

"" How stupid do these people think old people are with all this 'Death Panel' talk? ""

He was pissed.

ANYWAY, folks need a living will and health care POA regardless of age. It can start simple and evolve with age.

That's NICE.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

The false euthanasia claims originated with Former NY Lt Gov Betsey McCaughley and are chronicles here:

http://factcheck.org/2009/07/false-euthanasia-claims/

The 'death panel' nomenclature is Palin's FACEBOOK (!) spin on McCaughley's false information, chronicled here:

http://factcheck.org/2009/08/p...vs-obama-death-panels/

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Good for him. The new healthcare bill may be many things, but the Nazi T4 program it is not by a longshot. So much FUD... I normally don't listen to Rep. Frank, but he is right to shoot this person's argument down like the clay pidgeon it is.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
One of my long held nasty theories about liberals, of which I've since cleansed myself, was that they could be held in wide-mouthed awe by any man or woman who had a good speaking voice, and who could put on a good image, like Clinton or Obama.

Then I saw Barney Frank, and dispensed quickly with that theory.

Liberals, after all, do elect people sheerly on principle, because with Barney Frank it sure couldn't have been on aesthetics.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

In the early 20th century, members of the progressive movement discussed how the older members of society could no longer be productive to society in that they were no longer capable/willing to produce for the collective so what the society provides for them should be reduced or eliminated. I believe some went with even harsher terms.

A couple decades later several points of this philosophy are taken to even further extremes as we all know.

Now forward to many decades later and we have a mini revival of this progressive party and with it some of their old policies/beliefs.

But regardless of what that dumbass thought of the guys tshirt or poster, he just shows how worthless he is as an elected official.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

Aren't Larouuche supporters a subset of conservative wingnuts?

Actually I thought Frank did pretty well at that town hall, and toned down his usual abrasiveness and inability to tolerate fools quite a bit. I watched quite a chunk of that town hall on CNN while at the car repair shop. My favorite line was Frank asking, in a perfectly normal voice "Now which of you in the back would like to begin yelling first?" My second favorite part was when he said there was no death panel in the bill and the "conservatives" in the crowd began chanting read the bill, he then pulled up a paper copy of the bill and immediately cited the specific section, and went on to grumble about those who oppose medical reform without bothering to read the bills themselves. It was priceless.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

Hay now, brown shirts are brown shirts, call'em like they are.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Druidx

thats no problem at all.
The correct person is in power.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
"Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are financially sound"
-Barney Frank

He doesn't deserve respect.

I find if funny how all these liberals "don't understand" why everyone is so upset.

PEOPLE DON'T WANT THIS

Maybe thats why. But then again congress with just jam it down the throats of Americans using parliamentary tricks if they don't have the votes.

Remember, the liberals wanted this to be a done deal BEFORE the August break.

Maybe if the politicians respected the American people, the American people would show them some respect....but they are too busy spending half a billion dollars on private jets.

sapiens74

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2004
Audrey Steele, 82, from New Bedford, said she does not want the government to get involved with health care because "they just make a mess of everything," referring to the $700 billion bailout of financial institutions that was used to pay for lavish conferences and hefty executive compensation.

This is the main issue most people have with UHC

Sure the system sucks now

But they have even less trust in the government....

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Originally posted by: sapiens74
Sure the system sucks now

But they have even less trust in the government....

Exactly.

Why risk the system that works for the vast majority to help at most 5% of the total population.

Look, Obama says both sides agree on 70% of what is being purposed....

just package that into a bill and this would be a done deal....
...that is, if it is really about health care reform and not more government control.

Nice to see him insult her and not actually answer the question.