Bard's Tale Kickstarter

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Played Bard's Tale on Android. I enjoyed it. Would like to see Bard's Tale on PC.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
My favorite game series of the 80's. I'd love to back it, but it sounds like they are changing the gameplay from the original. Now I will have to take a wait and see approach. I remember mashing "A,A,A,D,D,D" (attack attack attack defend defend defend) every round. Now we can't do that. Of course they have to change it to be "dynamic" for kids with ADHD.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I'd expect them to keep at true to the originals as possible (they mentioned phased turn-based combat in the pitch video). Wasteland 2 was pretty traditional. They definitely want to capture that old style feel.

And yeah, I wasted so much time between these and Wizardry.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I'd be way more interested in this if it was more like the 2004 Bards Tale game - it was actually really funny. Enough of the "this is just like the old games that you're pretty sure you really liked 20 years ago but havent actually played in 19.5 years!" games.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I loved the Bard's Tale world. The newish one was ok I guess but definitely just shared a name with the original. I'm a huge fan of more open world adventures now so hopefully that will happen here.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
I'd be way more interested in this if it was more like the 2004 Bards Tale game - it was actually really funny. Enough of the "this is just like the old games that you're pretty sure you really liked 20 years ago but havent actually played in 19.5 years!" games.

I played the Bard's Tale 1 on DosBox about 4-5 years ago, and it was just as fun as it was back then. I actually remember thinking: "Why don't they make games like this these days?"

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Cool. Don't plan on Kickstarting, but the original game is one of my all time favourites and is probably the first PC game I ever played. Hope this comes out so I can play it.

KT

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Free Wasteland 2 (or The Witcher 1 or 2) if you purchase within the first 24 hours (til June 3rd, 9AM EST).

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
I'm just glad they're not using the 2004 game as base. It had some funny lines, but as a game, eew.

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
I had to back this one. I'm getting sick of the direction that games have been heading for a while and love to step back into the old-school.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
These Kickstartered games are fantastic. I'm still plodding through Wasteland and Pillars. Pillars is great. I can't wait to go through again with a new party.

Bring on the Tides and Bards!

I also just started playing Camegeddeon. I know it was a favorite of many. I never played the old games, but always love vehicle combat. Looks like lukewarm reviews, but I liked the hour I put into it so far. I'll come back.

In fact, I keep peeking at Road Rash reboots and... Well maybe I'll start a new thread for this crap. :)

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I have no experience with Bards Tale. I was playing Pools of Radiance/Curse of the Azure Bonds in the 80's....

But this looks very interesting to me. Tempting.....

Once concern: The CEO talked about the game being "difficult". I don't particularly care for "difficult". I like fun and can handle levels of challenging.....but "difficult" usually means frustrating.

Anyone care to share thoughts on this from the original Bards Tale?

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I have no experience with Bards Tale. I was playing Pools of Radiance/Curse of the Azure Bonds in the 80's....

Where is the Enhanced Edition of Pools of Radiance? Now that's something I would certainly support.

Never was a huge fan of Curse but did play it. Thoroughly enjoyed the Krynn games though.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Where is the Enhanced Edition of Pools of Radiance? Now that's something I would certainly support.

Me too!

PoolRad was the first game that evaporated time for me. Remember being over at a friends house and we had some pizza and started playing it at 8pm. Next thing I know, it's 2am......which sucked since I had a midnight curfew. My old man just didn't understand it was the game's fault......

xantub

Feb 12, 2014

But this looks very interesting to me. Tempting.....

Once concern: The CEO talked about the game being "difficult". I don't particularly care for "difficult". I like fun and can handle levels of challenging.....but "difficult" usually means frustrating.

Anyone care to share thoughts on this from the original Bards Tale?
If I remember correctly, difficulty in the old Bard Tales wasn't so much about combat, but about exploration and puzzles. Since nowadays with the Internet you can search for answers with just a few keystrokes, that difficulty area can be bypassed if you just want to play the combat engine. But nobody knows yet for sure how difficult this game will be.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
If I remember correctly, difficulty in the old Bard Tales wasn't so much about combat, but about exploration and puzzles. Since nowadays with the Internet you can search for answers with just a few keystrokes, that difficulty area can be bypassed if you just want to play the combat engine. But nobody knows yet for sure how difficult this game will be.

That's a good point.

It's just unusual for a game developer to stand in front of everyone he's making a pitch to and say "this game will be hard".

But I liked the pitch so I pledged.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
The original Bards Tale was difficult in this way:

Every square you moved, you could have a % random encounter. That % being if it was day/night cycle within the city. Every dungeon level would have a % attached to it. Some places had nearly a 30-50% random encounter. So every 3-5 moves you'd be fighting something.

Now when in a dungeon. This ended up being pretty brutal. The only way to heal your party or to get mana (spell points or whatever they were called back then) was through the bard's songs. I think mages could heal the group, but relied on those spell points. So once mages ran out of mana, you'd have the bard sing, and regen would be really slow on those points. And if you didn't move, the chances for an encounter was reduced but still happened. So things got pretty hard. If your party died, you'd respawn at your adventure guild, have to create new characters at level 1, then fill up the rest of your party with your dead guys. Then drag them across the map (which can of course cause encounters on your level 1 guy) to the temple to get them resurrected by a priest in the temple. So a lot of people would level up a guy just for that experience.

If I remember right, every time you rezzed yourself, you'd lose a number on one of your stats. They had STR, AGI, INT, WIS, etc etc like every game. But every rez was a -1 on one stat permanently.

It wasn't too bad since every level you gained a +1 on a stat permanently. But lots of death would gimp your toons.

Now that sounds frustrating in a way, but not too bad. But later on mages would get a teleport to the adventure guild, so if you got stuck in a dungeon in a scenario like that you could teleport your group out. Then you could heal/refresh mana and go back into the dungeon and try again.

If they keep that same formula (which I doubt they will) I could live with it, but I could see people bitching about it these days. So they might be referring to something like that with "difficulty."

Last edited: